Recalled Fire Extinguishers and Smoke Alarms

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
This may have been posted already, but I just found out about it a few days ago. There was a notice posted in both Sam's Club and BJ's. None of the extinguishers I'd purchased from either of those stores were affected, but two that I already owned were.

Here are the recall notices:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/k...astic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/k...ue-to-risk-of-failure-to-alert-consumers-to-a

My impression is that Kidde is not overly enthusiastic about complying with the recalls. I had two of the affected fire extinguishers, but the recall Web site wouldn't accept my request for replacement. Even when I called the company's recall center, the CSR initially told me the extinguishers were not affected until I pointed her to the PDF on the company's site that listed both model numbers. Then she relented and arranged for the replacements.

I don't know whether a database problem affected both the Web site and her terminal, or whether the company is trying to avoid complying with the recall; but inasmuch as I doubt I'm the first person to point out the problem, I can't help but suspect that the latter may be the case.

Having been rescued from a house fire when I was 5 years old (which I remember quite vividly), I take fire extinguishers pretty seriously. I have them all over the place. It's almost an obsession.

Rich

Yeah, I've had the sick feeling of squeezing the handle and nothing happen.

I was watching TV one day when my son comes in and says "I don't know how it happened, but there's a fire in my room." I grabbed the extinguisher that we keep by the wood stove and head upstairs. Sure enough there's a milk crate on his floor full of junk and it's on fire. Pull the pin, squeeze. Nothing. Tell Margy to grab me another extinguisher and proceed to try to smother the fire with a pair of my son's jeans that he's left on the floor.

Remember, you have to have four things to have a fire: heat, oxygen, fuel, and a battalion chief. Take away any one and you can't have a fire.

Back