Rebuilt engine for the 182

No where in any conversation where I was talking about 43.17.
there is a difference between 43.17 and the Appendix B and a AC.

I'll give you the point about after the aircraft is returned to service
Appendix B (c)... which you referenced, pertains to, and references 43.17, read, Tom.

Since almost all mechanics are actually going to follow the correct regulation
That would be FAR 43 Appendix "B" as the 337 form points to, the AC is simply a mimic of the reg expanding the explanation of each block.

The 337 I rejected was an illegal repair with no pre approval, no approved engineering data, and not in accordance with the Manufacturer's structural repair manual, but was completed in the aircraft already.

Appendix B (c)... which you referenced, pertains to, and references 43.17, read, Tom.
It may reference but it does not apply there are no Canadian AMEs
In this case, Tom, the pertinent FAR and AC say the same thing.
What did I just say above ?? Are you reading what you want to see?

It may reference but it does not apply there are no Canadian AMEs

What did I just say above ?? Are you reading what you want to see?
Why would you even bing that FAR into the conversation?

That would be FAR 43 Appendix "B" as the 337 form points to,
43 Appendix B has four options based on applicability (a), (b), (c) or (d).

You incorrectly chose (c), which is applicable to certain Canadian persons, when maintaining US aeronautical products.

Last edited:
Why would you even bing that FAR into the conversation?
You did Tom. Right here:
The form directs you to 43. Appendix B which is the regulation and it says :

(c) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this appendix, for a major repair or major alteration made by a person authorized in §43.17, the person who performs the major repair or major alteration and the person authorized by §43.17 to approve that work shall execute an FAA Form 337 at least in duplicate. A completed copy of that form shall be—

(1) Given to the aircraft owner; and

(2) Forwarded to the Federal Aviation Administration, Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750, Post Office Box 25504, Oklahoma City, OK 73125, within 48 hours after the work is inspected.

I believe I did exactly that. plus I kept a copy for my activity sheet. as renewal is next month. :)

This brings back memories of the mechanic that signed off a control cable that had a broken wire because the maintenance manual said two broken wires were allowed. The next paragraph in the maintenance manual said no broken wires were allowed if the cable passed over a pulley, through a pressure seal, or fairlead. Which it did. I bet that guy would still argue today saying there was no need to read any further after he found a sentence that worked for him. I rejected that non-routine and the cable was replaced.

The difference is, Tom skipped over the relevant paragraph (a), to pick the one that worked (c), to defend his mistake.

Last edited:
This brings back memories from the mechanic that signed off a control cable that had a broken wire because the maintenance manual said two broken wires were allowed. The next paragraph in the maintenance manual said no broken wires were allowed if the cable passed over a pulley, through a pressure seal, or fairlead. Which it did. I bet that guy would still argue today saying there was no need to read any further after he found a sentence that worked for him. I rejected that non-routine and the cable was replaced.

The difference is, Tom skipped over the relevant paragraph (a), to pick the one that worked (c), to defend his mistake.

Get grip, do you really see any difference in the actions required in c than what we do in (a) ?? read it as it is written, they are required to do exactly what we do.

Get grip, do you really see any difference in the actions required in c than what we do in (a) ?? read it as it is written, they are required to do exactly what we do.

Get a grip?

43 Appendix B (c) is not applicable. Quit using it as a defense.

But since you contine to ask for your nose to be rubbed in it, here we go again...

43 Appendix B (a) (3) Forward a copy of that form to the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, within 48 hours after the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance is approved for return to service.

43 Appendix B (c) (2) Forwarded to the Federal Aviation Administration, Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750, Post Office Box 25504, Oklahoma City, OK 73125, within 48 hours after the work is inspected.

Don't ask me why they're different, but they are.

Last edited:
Get a grip?

43 Appendix B (c) is not applicable. Quit using it as a defense.

But since you contine to ask for your nose to be rubbed in it, here we go again...

43 Appendix B (a) (3) Forward a copy of that form to the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, within 48 hours after the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance is approved for return to service.

43 Appendix B (c) (2) Forwarded to the Federal Aviation Administration, Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750, Post Office Box 25504, Oklahoma City, OK 73125, within 48 hours after the work is inspected.

Don't ask me why they're different, but they are.
Much of a nit pick, the results are the same.

Nit picking is my job, you're an IA?, you should appreciate that.

The FAA recording/reporting requirements are not the same. That was the dispute.

Last edited:
Back