Reason 900 Billion why you should hang out at the airport

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
She landed this morning after diverting here due to strong wings.

Attachments

• Grumman Albatross 002.jpg
    Grumman Albatross 002.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 169
  • Grumman Albatross 004.jpg
    Grumman Albatross 004.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 102
  • Grumman Albatross 005.jpg
    Grumman Albatross 005.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 56
  • Grumman Albatross 011.jpg
    Grumman Albatross 011.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
Found a cockpit view of that plane
1480424.jpg

Those Albatrosses are sweet!! I would like to turn one into a flying/floating home.

Friend of mine discovered reason 900,000,000,001 a year or so back. He was hanging out at Renton airport (just south of Seattle) when an Albatross showed up. They were on their way to Anchorage.

He came over and got to crawl all around the airplane while they looked at a problem with one engine. They found they had a cracked oil tank. "Where can we get this fixed?" they wondered aloud. "Come with me," said my friend, and led them to the place where he worked, where one of the guys was an ace welder.

They Albatross people paid for the work, and want to "tip" my friend for helping them fix the problem. "We've got a couple of empty seats," they said. "Want to come to Anchorage with us?"

So my friend got an unforgettable trip up the Inside Passage....

Ron Wanttaja

Here's a nice one that I came upon in Campbell River, BC a few years ago.

Attachments

• Campbell River 19.jpg
    Campbell River 19.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 94
I should have taken a pic of the one sitting at KOKM a couple of weeks ago. It looks like it's either based there or waiting to be moved into the shop for some work. Beautiful birds!

Never seen a "naked" one before... looks nice like that.

I don't blame them for not polishing it... by the time you got done, it'd be time to start over again. :D

The NPS had a Grumman Goose at Lake Powell for years. There used to be a private Grumman that landed on Lake Powell all the time for camping adventures, usually in Halls Creek Bay. Can't remember the model or anything now, too long ago and before I was really interested too much in flying so I probably wouldn't have noted it anyway. Can't find photos of it now. But I found this photo of an overflight over Lake Mead.

35b.jpg

I've seen this one on Mr. Rose's private airstrip: http://geocities.com/alaskangoose/B100.html
after refurb:
goose.jpg

http://www.oshkoshseaplanebase.com/history.htm said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But not all visitors to the AirVenture Seaplane Base are fabric-covered. Some larger amphibians often venture into the outer harbor, and their appearance is always welcome.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This winner of the Champion Seaplane Award is a Grumman G-44 Goose owned by Bill Rose. Pictured here (by Dekevin Thornton) with its Pratt & Whitney R-985 engines just ticking over and the retractable wing floats down, the Goose is ready to start its takeoff run away from the seaplane base into Lake Winnebago. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
before refurb:
035-N88U_small.gif

Oh Drooooooool! Me too!

So a potentially stupid question.

I buy an Albatross or similar plane, convert it for liveaboard. I register it under a corp in Delaware. I live in my plane, traveling around the country. I make very, very sure to spend no more than 10 days at a time in any given state.

What state do I claim residency in, and thereby, pay taxes? Whatever state the plane is registered in?

Cheers,

-Andrew

I buy an Albatross or similar plane, convert it for liveaboard. I register it under a corp in Delaware. I live in my plane, traveling around the country. I make very, very sure to spend no more than 10 days at a time in any given state.

What state do I claim residency in, and thereby, pay taxes? Whatever state the plane is registered in?

Heck, I'd become a citizen of Sealand and avoid taxes entirely! :yes: :D

Cheers,

-Andrew

What you need to choose is a domicile. Lots of info on this from the Full-time RV folks out there on Google. Probably a few nuances to figure out that would be aviation related.

What you need to choose is a domicile. Lots of info on this from the Full-time RV folks out there on Google. Probably a few nuances to figure out that would be aviation related.

Escapees has good information on how it's done minus the aviation details. (It wouldn't surprise me if they have dealt with aircraft before since quite a few fulltimers are pilots -- Though I haven't met them personally, I know of at least two that travel with their plane in an enclosed trailer and I seriously doubt that's all of them)

Basically we get a permanent mailing address through one of the organizations that support fulltimers with a mail forwarding service. That gives you a permanent address that the gustappo won't have kittens over. Then we register the vehicles in one of several specific counties in a state (FL, TX, SD are the most common) as our domicile. Those specific states/counties even allow out of state vehicle registration without having to go there and have no emissions tests. That gives us our license plates. Then we do the most annoying part of the domicile setup when we get around to it: It does take one trip to that state to get your DL changed over since that's the only way to deal with the DMV DL office. After that we just hit the road and our only connection to a physical address is some totally meaningless sequence of letters stamped on our license plates. Once a year you pay your license fees and have the mail forwarding service send the mail to somewhere you can intercept the little liense plate sticker.

The alternative is to use a friend or families address as your domicile and don't tell the official gov't types that you're a nomad.

<--- POA's resident Nomad Fulltimer.

Last edited:
How peculiar this showed up as a related thread. Why just today I was remembering about the black line painted on the empennage forward of the port side aft hatch. I was not purposefully looking for this thread.

FYI: the black line is a registration mark to lead one to place his hand on the way up or his foot on the way down when climbing onto the airframe.

I was also looking at the landing gear. How obvious it is to us AFTER it had been invented. But I imagine some head scratching during designing the mechanism. See how the main strut is bent? That surely is by design. Well duh. But until then, how many permutations before the engineers got it 'right'? I would be like, "I don't want the strut to be bent at an angle, how can I work around that?"

As a side note, during my time in Page, it was my pleasure to fly with one of the chief designers of the landing gear of the Concorde. Oh, the landing gear...uhm, yeah, okay. But look at the complexity of the gear even on the Albatross. That is some serious work. How much more so the Concorde?

Last edited:
There's an Albatross in USAF markings that's been sitting on the north ramp in Cozumel for years. It looked pristine when it showed up and had an N nunber. I heard it was impounded for some reason. Sad fate. You can see it on google earth next to a DC 3 and old 727s.

Nice airplane,perfect for a live aboard. One could just follow the sun.

Back