Really want to do sport pilot Course But?

term_paint

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
term
I am a large guy that has dropped a lot of weight but still weight 290 5foot 9 inches. I am not sure if I am still overweight for sport pilot and if so can I start on the private pilot? Embarrassed but need to understand. I have been on a weight loss program for awhile and want to get back in shape. Thanks...

:confused:

You can't fly in my Flight Design CTSW. Maximum pilot or passenger weight is 260. I think you'll have problems in most light sport aircraft.

At 290, you can either train in a Remos or a Tecnam Super Echo. Where are you? Any flight schools have either plane in your area? Good job on the weight loss so far. Keep up the good work. You will gain more than just the ability to fly by taking your health back. :yes:

Because I need the practice, I just did the weight and balance for the 152 with me and you (135lbs) with a full tank and it wouldn't work, it'd be overweight. I think you're best bet is to go for the PPL in the 172. No shame in it. And from what I experienced from trying to the the Sport Pilot at first it's difficult, not only due to weather limitations but also because the planes are harder to find and flight schools will really try to push you for the PPL if you have no medical constraints.

Good job on the weight loss.you could start on the private a 172 would probably work.

Congratulations on the weight loss! :thumbsup: It's not easy. Trust me, I know all too well. Two points concerning your endeavor:

1. You can always start your dual training in an airplane that is not an LSA while you continue with the weight loss. It's my plan because I'm surrounded by PPL schools and the nearest Sport Pilot school is more than 60 miles away.

2. I got some great advice in this thread about flying with a CFI that is certified to teach PPL, so if you decide later to advance your training, your Sport Pilot training will count toward your PPL and beyond. Better to have that and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Good luck!

Well thanks for everyones help. For now it will be private pilot..Thanks I am near charlotte nc and will be looking for a place here. thanks.

At 290, you can either train in a Remos or a Tecnam Super Echo. Where are you? Any flight schools have either plane in your area? Good job on the weight loss so far. Keep up the good work. You will gain more than just the ability to fly by taking your health back. :yes:

The school I trained at for sport and private used the Tecnams. You'd definitely fit, but I'm not sure if there are any down your way.

I think you should be flying a 182 at your size, and that's PP. With an FAA standard weight (170lb)instructor, you'll want to throw some weight in the back to help with balance or she'll be nose heavy to the point of fighting her. When you lose more weight you can shift into lighter planes.

Back