Really Safe & Secure Baggage Handling....

This is too good. The Israeli PM's security detail checked their Glocks in baggage (I'm assuming weapons cases) with American Airlines and the bag ended up in LAX --- without the Glocks.
The procedure, at least on domestic airline flights, is to declare your firearm when you check your luggage. You place the unloaded firearm in a case inside your luggage with a lock on the case. You then unlock the case and demonstrate to the TSA that it is unloaded. You then lock the case and the TSA does not get a key.

Of course - if you end up diverting to an airport or you have a layover somewhere where you cannot legally posses the firearm...Things become complicated. If you take possession of the luggage you're then breaking the law. If you try to redeclare the luggage on a flight the next day you meet the police.

What a screwy system.

Last edited:
The procedure, at least on domestic airline flights, is to declare your firearm when you check your luggage. You place the unloaded firearm in a case inside your luggage with a lock on the case. You then unlock the case and demonstrate to the TSA that it is unloaded. You then lock the case and the TSA does not get a key.

Of course - if you end up diverting to an airport or you have a layover somewhere where you cannot legally posses the firearm...Things become complicated. If you take possession of the luggage you're then breaking the law. If you try to redeclare the luggage on a flight the next day you meet the police.

What a screwy system.

Yup -- and the Shin Bet officers followed TSA rules exactly. TSA verified the luggage and weapons, then sealed it with a TSA stamp (according to the news reports).

In the past (prior to 9/11) I knew many who traveled with rifles (competitions) and they had special cases. I assumed the same here, but perhaps not.

This story has something to say about TSA procedures and also about AA baggage handlers. How is it that the bags were "accidentally" sent all the way across the country? I am coming up with several cynical scenarios.

Ummm...how about allowing them to, I do not know, carry the freaking things on the plane? Seriously...Shin Bet...we are afraid that a Shin Bet agent is going to "go rouge" and hijack an American airliner?

We are truly a nation of idiots and idiotic rules at times.

Ummm...how about allowing them to, I do not know, carry the freaking things on the plane? Seriously...Shin Bet...we are afraid that a Shin Bet agent is going to "go rouge" and hijack an American airliner?

Do you think the Israelis would let Secret Service agents carry on an el-Al flight?

What a screwy system.
Didn't someone on this board get an overnight stay in New York City courtesy of the NYPD for this very reason? Maybe I'm thinking of another board. Sigh...so much for the Commerce Clause.

Color an airliner red and then steal it?

Actually...yes I would like to think they would.

And that's where it starts to get complicated. If we let Shin Bet guys carry, but they don't reciprocate, someone's nose gets bent out of joint. Then, if we let Shin Bet carry, but we don't let the PLO equivalent carry, then it becomes a diplomatic PITA...and so on.

Glocks will bring over a thousand dollars each. Checking luggage that contains valuable items is an absolute guarantee the items will become "lost". Your baggage gets x-rayed, the contents become known.

TSA, for a fee, will do background checks on anyone. They apparently are not willing to spend the money performing background checks on their own employees. End of story.

John

Glocks will bring over a thousand dollars each. Checking luggage that contains valuable items is an absolute guarantee the items will become "lost". Your baggage gets x-rayed, the contents become known.

TSA, for a fee, will do background checks on anyone. They apparently are not willing to spend the money performing background checks on their own employees. End of story.

John
Why would a Glock bring over a thousand dollars? They can be had for less than $500 new. Is the street price double retail price?

I've never had an issue with a firearm being lost in luggage. I've been told that luggage with firearms are better controlled but I'm not sure if there is any truth in that.

Why would a Glock bring over a thousand dollars? They can be had for less than $500 new. Is the street price double retail price?

I've never had an issue with a firearm being lost in luggage. I've been told that luggage with firearms are better controlled but I'm not sure if there is any truth in that.

To be honest, I picked that number out of the air. I assumed since a 1911 auto can easily bring that much, I just figured that since I had heard a Glock is supposed to be a better weapon, it would bring the same.

Four Glocks in one bag that TSA employees handle is pretty much a guarantee it will become lost. I guess the best way to prove me wrong would be to send four nice handguns in one case. You seem sure that nothing can go awry, what the heck, do just for the fun. Toss your Rolex in with them as well, just for the "I told you so" grins.

John

I was on a flight to China with a US Senator and the Deputy SecDef along with the secret service detail. While I was sitting next to their entourage in the 1st class lounge at KORD I overheard one of the SS agents speaking about how they had no problems checking their weapons in on the UAL flight, only having to make a simple phone call to the TSA supervisor. I guess TSA expects that the SS may go rouge as well.

Years ago when I traveled commercial they use to place a tag on the luggage indicating that there is a firearm inside, are they still doing this?? If so, A S S H O L E S...! Know wonder why they were stolen.

Back