Really interesting new electric plane

Further, airliners do not use speed brakes as a general rule because it is inefficient. You are just throwing away energy. In this case, using windmilling props you can recharge the battery, so there is no reason to not use regen in descent and stay higher longer (if ATC allows).
You're still not getting it. Staying higher longer takes more power because you leave the throttle open longer. Then you're trying to replace it by descending faster and converting it to electricity - but you're back the the less efficient mechanical to electrical and back again conversion. You'd use less power by doing a normal descent and not trying to reclaim energy.

Electric airplanes will never be practical... until they are. Then it will be, "They're a joke! My gas plane is so much better!" Then it will be, "You got to be kidding me! For that much I could get...!" Then it will be, "Yeah it's pretty cool right?! this thing rocks! I was just waiting for the right time to buy."

I can't wait! I was ready for my electric plane years ago. It's coming. The power tools, cell phones and laptops got us to the cars and the cars will get us to the plane, boat, truck and everything else.

Electric airplanes will never be practical... until they are. Then it will be, "They're a joke! My gas plane is so much better!" Then it will be, "You got to be kidding me! For that much I could get...!" Then it will be, "Yeah it's pretty cool right?! this thing rocks! I was just waiting for the right time to buy."

I can't wait! I was ready for my electric plane years ago. It's coming. The power tools, cell phones and laptops got us to the cars and the cars will get us to the plane, boat, truck and everything else.

Nope. It will never be practical. It might work if highly subsidized in small niche situations, but carrying around batteries in an airplane will never make sense. There are a dozen other energy sources that are more practical.

Even pure electric cars don't make any sense yet. They only work for people with money to burn AND with subsidies. Cars might someday make sense as they aren't as badly impacted by weight, and they can reclaim energy.

Nope. It will never be practical. It might work if highly subsidized in small niche situations, but carrying around batteries in an airplane will never make sense. There are a dozen other energy sources that are more practical.

Even pure electric cars don't make any sense yet. They only work for people with money to burn AND with subsidies. Cars might someday make sense as they aren't as badly impacted by weight, and they can reclaim energy.

Yep. With regards to electric cars, you're now in the "You got to be kidding me! For that much I could get a...!" mode. ;) You'll get there eventually and then you will be telling your friends how practical and economical it is.

With regards to electric airplanes you just lack vision. I know, I know physics, your expertise in battery chemistry and your vast knowledge of all things possible, etc. Still mankind makes progress towards electrification of transportation in spite of the impossibilities. Thankfully there are thousands of engineers, chemists and dare I say it? Physicists that aren't so resolved to the world of status quo.

Please don't tell those of us that drive battery electric cars every day that they aren't practical. I got mine in March and haven't bought any gas for a car since. I have never experienced "range anxiety" nor have I ever run out. I don't hypermile, I run the AC and heater whenever I want and go about 70 on the freeway. In other words, I drive just like I did before, but this new ride is way better.

You're still not getting it. Staying higher longer takes more power because you leave the throttle open longer.

There is a slight benefit because the aircraft will need less power at higher altitude. Whether that difference is more than the 20% losses of round tripping the energy through a battery by windmilling on the way down, I’m not so sure.

Please don't tell those of us that drive battery electric cars every day that they aren't practical. I got mine in March and haven't bought any gas for a car since. I have never experienced "range anxiety" nor have I ever run out. I don't hypermile, I run the AC and heater whenever I want and go about 70 on the freeway. In other words, I drive just like I did before, but this new ride is way better.

Just under 5 years for me since I bought gas for a car. I agree BEV’s are incredibly practical as long as you have a garage or similar permanent parking spots most nights. I won’t ever go back to a gas car.

But even with all the cool new BEVs coming out - the fact of the matter is that battery tech has only marginally improved over the last 25 years. Sure it’s become a LOT cheaper but the energy density hasn’t improved all that much.

You can’t write a check for a million or even a billion dollars and get a 1000kWh battery that weight 1000 lbs - which is really what you need for an airplane. And there is no historic trend that proves it will EVER happen. Sure we may get lucky but we may get lucky and discover teleportation as well.

- the fact of the matter is that battery tech has only marginally improved over the last 25 years. Sure it’s become a LOT cheaper but the energy density hasn’t improved all that much.

Yeah, sure if you say so. You're the expert. To everybody else reading this thread, think back to the year 1992 and remember what kind of awesome batteries you had in your life that powered all your things. IIRC, back then in the consumer world, Nickle Cadmium batteries were king. They were so cool. Yep, only marginal improvements. If only Apple knew they could build their iPhones with NiCds, they could save a load of money! I doubt anybody would notice. Anybody in the construction trades... remember the old cordless tools from 1992 compared to today's cordless tools? Hardly a difference, right? :rolleyes:

The thing is, we don't have to equal the energy density of gasoline, or diesel, we just have to come close to the actual power output of an internal combustion engine. That makes the goal a whole lot easier as the efficiency of the ICE is honestly pretty ****ty. I got the message though. It'll never happen and there's nothing new under the sun. Maybe in a 100 years...

Yeah, sure if you say so. You're the expert. To everybody else reading this thread, think back to the year 1992 and remember what kind of awesome batteries you had in your life that powered all your things. IIRC, back then in the consumer world, Nickle Cadmium batteries were king. They were so cool. Yep, only marginal improvements. If only Apple knew they could build their iPhones with NiCds, they could save a load of money! I doubt anybody would notice. Anybody in the construction trades... remember the old cordless tools from 1992 compared to today's cordless tools? Hardly a difference, right? :rolleyes:

Sony brought out the first commercial Lithium Ion battery in 1991. The achievements over the last 25 years had to do with making it cheap enough (and safe enough) to replace NiCd and NiMh everywhere else.

There isn’t currently some better but outrageously expensive other chemistry on the market that’s being sold today, that we just have to wait for the price to drop.

There is a slight benefit because the aircraft will need less power at higher altitude. Whether that difference is more than the 20% losses of round tripping the energy through a battery by windmilling on the way down, I’m not so sure.
Agreed

Fun math. Current lithium cell cost is around $145/kWh. If you add Tesla-style thermal management to it, it's about $190/kWh to get a properly contained cooled/heated battery. And Lithium batteries lasts about 1500 cycles with thermal management.

So $190 for 1500kWh over the life of the battery. Add to that actually paying for 1500kWh of electricity at 10c/kWh and you have another $150 - so $340/1500kWh.

1500kWh is about the equivalent power of 40 gallons of diesel raw power, or 44 gallons of gasoline. Taking efficiency of conversion into account (90% for electrical vs. 45% for diesel vs. 35% for gasoline), it's the equivalent of 80 gallons of diesel or 113 gallons of gas burned in combustion engines. If you burn Jet A in a turbine instead (at 59% efficiency), it's the equivalent of 60 gallons of Jet A.

80 gallons diesel equivalent at $340 = $4.25 per gallon.
113 gallons gasoline equivalent at $340 = $3.00 per gallon
60 gallon Jet-A turbine equivalent at $340 = $5.60 per gallon.

Which is why it's disingenuous to just look at the cost of electricity when comparing operational costs - you need to look at the cost of battery replacement as well. It's not fabulous right now (you do have reduced MX though).

However, cost of Lithium cell manufacturing will come down by at least 50% over the next 5 years due to EV manufacturers expecting to make 10-fold increases in manufacturing and building out battery plants, which will bring the $340 down to around $268. And then those prices goes to $3.35 diesel / $2.37 gas / $4.46 Jet-A Turbine respectively, which is competitive.

If only it was actually usable...
It’s not competitive. I buy jet a, delivered to my tank for roughly 2.15 a gallon. Airlines are getting it way cheaper than I can.

Just under 5 years for me since I bought gas for a car. I agree BEV’s are incredibly practical as long as you have a garage or similar permanent parking spots most nights. I won’t ever go back to a gas car.

But even with all the cool new BEVs coming out - the fact of the matter is that battery tech has only marginally improved over the last 25 years. Sure it’s become a LOT cheaper but the energy density hasn’t improved all that much.

You can’t write a check for a million or even a billion dollars and get a 1000kWh battery that weight 1000 lbs - which is really what you need for an airplane. And there is no historic trend that proves it will EVER happen. Sure we may get lucky but we may get lucky and discover teleportation as well.
Here's an interesting question: If BEVs achieve mass adoption, presumably that will result in building additional electric power plants, more demand for whatever fuels them, and building more electric distribution capability. How much will this increase the price of electricity?

Here's an interesting question: If BEVs achieve mass adoption, presumably that will result in building additional electric power plants, more demand for whatever fuels them, and building more electric distribution capability. How much will this increase the price of electricity?

Not much. In the vast majority of the country we produce excess power at night year around.
It will not take very long for consumers, regulators and power companies to encourage or require car charging stations at home to have a timer which by default chargers the car at night; when demand is already lower.
You need to give the consumer the option to override the charging schedule, but that is not hard.

Tim

Sony brought out the first commercial Lithium Ion battery in 1991. The achievements over the last 25 years had to do with making it cheap enough (and safe enough) to replace NiCd and NiMh everywhere else.

There isn’t currently some better but outrageously expensive other chemistry on the market that’s being sold today, that we just have to wait for the price to drop.

They have also improved energy density. Just because there is no new tech for sale right now, doesn't mean there won't be soon. We are far more dependent on high performance batteries now than we were in the 1990s. There are lots more people working the problem now and the financial stakes are much higher now, so there is incentive. It just irks me when people start trotting out the old "Laws of physics", so it'll never happen stuff. It will happen, the only question is when.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that the airplane concept that was the subject of the original post is the real deal, or is ever going to happen. It's not. It's like 90% of all airplane start ups, basically vaporware designed to rob depositors and venture capitalists of their money and keep a few people well employed. I agree with others here that Boeing and Jet Blue have latched on primarily to green wash their companies.

I do think the hybrid plane concept is worth exploring. Since there is a battery onboard, include hub motors in the wheels, this should reduce fuel burn on the take off roll and then of course provide regenerative braking on the roll out. Take off under traditional methods, then cruise all electric and basically make a windmilling glide decent to landing regenerating all the way down. The result should be a partially charged battery that doesn't need a full charge to go again. At this point in time, electricity is still cheaper than Jet A, or AvGas and electric motors are a hell of a lot cheaper to rebuild and service. There are potential saving to be had as well as lower emissions and quieter flight.

Instead of this swindle, they should be working on a smaller, simpler and more manageable proof of concept first. Hire Scaled Composites. They are can-do people and well suited to this proof of concept.

Not much. In the vast majority of the country we produce excess power at night year around.
It will not take very long for consumers, regulators and power companies to encourage or require car charging stations at home to have a timer which by default chargers the car at night; when demand is already lower.
You need to give the consumer the option to override the charging schedule, but that is not hard.

Tim

Agreed. Everybody I know with an electric car charges at night and only in the day if they absolutely have to. There is plenty of capacity at night. This will do us for many years. Having said that, at some point if nearly everyone goes electric and they will someday, more capacity will be needed and it will cost a lot of money to build that capacity just as it did to build what we have now. Rates will go up, but then assuming no corruption in the system, rates should fall again as excess capacity comes online.

...I do think the hybrid plane concept is worth exploring. Since there is a battery onboard, include hub motors in the wheels, this should reduce fuel burn on the take off roll and then of course provide regenerative braking on the roll out.

The takeoff and landing rolls are such a small fraction of total flight time that I can't imagine it being worthwhile to put motors in the wheels.

Take off under traditional methods, then cruise all electric and basically make a windmilling glide decent to landing regenerating all the way down. The result should be a partially charged battery that doesn't need a full charge to go again. At this point in time, electricity is still cheaper than Jet A, or AvGas and electric motors are a hell of a lot cheaper to rebuild and service. There are potential saving to be had as well as lower emissions and quieter flight....

The trouble with going all electric in cruise is that then your range is limited by the size of the battery.

The takeoff and landing rolls are such a small fraction of total flight time that I can't imagine it being worthwhile to put motors in the wheels.

I don't know. Maybe yes, maybe no. Just an idea that some boffin could calculate and maybe put in the demonstrator model I propose. Nothing like real world data. You could be right, but I do know a lot of energy is wasted getting the plane initially rolling and a solid wheel to ground with instant torque should be way more efficient. Also regenerative braking is awesome and nearly illuminates brake pad wear as well as puts otherwise wasted energy back in the tank. In this sort of plane, perhaps pilots would be instructed to always use aggressive braking instead of avoiding it.

The trouble with going all electric in cruise is that then your range is limited by the size of the battery.

Aren't we limited now by the size of the gas tank?

I don't know. Maybe yes, maybe no. Just an idea that some boffin could calculate and maybe put in the demonstrator model I propose. Nothing like real world data. You could be right, but I do know a lot of energy is wasted getting the plane initially rolling and a solid wheel to ground with instant torque should be way more efficient. Also regenerative braking is awesome and nearly illuminates brake pad wear as well as puts otherwise wasted energy back in the tank. In this sort of plane, perhaps pilots would be instructed to always use aggressive braking instead of avoiding it.

Takes 5 minutes to fill a gas tank.

They have also improved energy density. Just because there is no new tech for sale right now, doesn't mean there won't be soon. We are far more dependent on high performance batteries now than we were in the 1990s. There are lots more people working the problem now and the financial stakes are much higher now, so there is incentive. It just irks me when people start trotting out the old "Laws of physics", so it'll never happen stuff. It will happen, the only question is when.

By a factor of 2 in 25 years. This is incredibly slow progress in tech. And the graph is linear - not exponential. So to get a 10x improvement at the current rate will take 250 years. It doesn’t make sense to announce an airframe today that depends on tech that far in the future.

If they really thought they can build this they would have kept it under wraps. When Boeing announced the 7E7 initially (long before it became the 787) they simultaneously announced an order of 50 of them from ANA. That’s how you do it when at least believe yourself that you have a real product on hand.

Of course, but isn't energy storage per pound currently much better with avgas and Jet A than it is with batteries?

By a factor of 2 in 25 years. This is incredibly slow progress in tech. And the graph is linear - not exponential. So to get a 10x improvement at the current rate will take 250 years. It doesn’t make sense to announce an airframe today that depends on tech that far in the future.

If they really thought they can build this they would have kept it under wraps. When Boeing announced the 7E7 initially (long before it became the 787) they simultaneously announced an order of 50 of them from ANA. That’s how you do it when at least believe yourself that you have a real product on hand.

Agreed. this company is likely just a PR stunt. They get money from Boeing and Jet Blue to "research" stuff and in return Boeing and Jet Blue get to greenwash the hell out of their companies and look all Tesla like. My only hope is that this company actually does work the problem with the money and not just give themselves raises and comes up with a solid plan for when there are better batteries.

I suspect that with regard to battery development, there are people out there working as you suggest, under wraps until they are certain they have the real deal and a working prototype. There is a lot of potential money at stake and I assume they would want patents, so they're not going to advertise, or actually apply for those patents until they are solid and really have something to blow us all away with. My hunch is, the next big "battery" thing will have nothing to do with Li-Ion. The demand is only increasing and it's too great to wait 250 years.

Where there is a will there is a way and the will is getting stronger.

Of course, but isn't energy storage per pound currently much better with avgas and Jet A than it is with batteries?

Oh, I see. You were actually basically saying with current batteries there isn't enough room in the plane to go the range we would like. I get it. I'm, a little slow I guess.

Yes. The electric planes of the future will require electrical energy storage with greater density then we currently possess. This airplane as described won't fly anytime soon and certainly not on their timeline. It's mostly a PR stunt.

My only point is, electric airplanes are coming and when they do, they will have much better batteries than we have today. I also believe that this will happen much faster then the doubters say it will.

Last edited:
A reasonable comparison of the energy used in the takeoff roll vs the amount used in cruise is not that hard to do. For piston planes like the ones I fly from sea level airports, let's assume the engine is putting out 100% power during the takeoff roll, and 75% in normal cruise. A 200 HP engine puts out about 149 kilowatts at 100% power, and about 112 kW at 75% power. The energy consumed is power multiplied by time. I've never timed my takeoff roll, but It's probably less than one minute, so to be generous, I'll use that as an estimate. 149 KW for one minute of takeoff roll = 2.48 kWh of energy consumed. 112 kW for one hour of cruise = 112 kWh of energy consumed. For four hours of cruise, it would be 448 kWh.

So with the generous assumption that the takeoff roll takes as long as a minute, even if you could save 100% of the energy consumed in the takeoff roll, the energy saved would be no more than 2.2% of the total for a one hour flight, and no more than 0.6% of the total for a four hour flight.

That's why I'm unenthusiastic about putting motors in the wheels.

A reasonable comparison of the energy used in the takeoff roll vs the amount used in cruise is not that hard to do. For piston planes like the ones I fly from sea level airports, let's assume the engine is putting out 100% power during the takeoff roll, and 75% in normal cruise. A 200 HP engine puts out about 149 kilowatts at 100% power, and about 112 kW at 75% power. The energy consumed is power multiplied by time. I've never timed my takeoff roll, but It's probably less than one minute, so to be generous, I'll use that as an estimate. 149 KW for one minute of takeoff roll = 2.48 kWh of energy consumed. 112 kW for one hour of cruise = 112 kWh of energy consumed. For four hours of cruise, it would be 448 kWh.

So with the generous assumption that the takeoff roll takes as long as a minute, even if you could save 100% of the energy consumed in the takeoff roll, the energy saved would be no more than 2.2% of the total for a one hour flight, and no more than 0.6% of the total for a four hour flight.

The take off roll is minimal. The taxi is the real fuel killer. But I think robo taxi which pulls the plane and is controlled by the pilot is more likely.

Tim

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

My only point is, electric airplanes are coming and when they do, they will have much better batteries than we have today. I also believe that this will happen much faster then the doubters say it will.

I think we all agree. Said another way, the batteries have to get much better before we see all electric GA airplanes that perform to the levels of today.

I think we all agree. Said another way, the batteries have to get much better before we see all electric GA airplanes that perform to the levels of today.

Yes, but with the caveat that not everybody has the same mission requirements, so while some may put the benchmark at say 500 mile range, 4 place with a say 600 lb payload, others would be thrilled with just a two place, 300 mile range and 400 lb payload. Just like the electric car of today, many don't actually have to have direct replacement of capabilities to accept it. So, many, many electric planes could be sold long before they reach the aviation communities "benchmark" for a four place single.

I am one of those people. I don't need four seats and I don't need 6 hours of endurance. My Mooney has way more capability than I really need. I would trade it in a heartbeat fro a less capable electric plane because that e-plane would likely work for me just fine. I just want it to be kinda speedy and have great visibility, that's all. :D

Be a sport. Imagine how big the motors would have to be to accelerate the plane to takeoff speeds. Adding that kind of weight and more multiple failure modes during takeoff is too awesome not to do. /sarcasm
I really shudder to think about how big a generator would be needed to stop one of these with no brake pads. Probably bigger than the cruise motor.

There will never be a battery that gets lighter as its energy is used up, as does fossil fuel.

Yes, but with the caveat that not everybody has the same mission requirements, so while some may put the benchmark at say 500 mile range, 4 place with a say 600 lb payload, others would be thrilled with just a two place, 300 mile range and 400 lb payload. Just like the electric car of today, many don't actually have to have direct replacement of capabilities to accept it. So, many, many electric planes could be sold long before they reach the aviation communities "benchmark" for a four place single.

I am one of those people. I don't need four seats and I don't need 6 hours of endurance. My Mooney has way more capability than I really need. I would trade it in a heartbeat fro a less capable electric plane because that e-plane would likely work for me just fine. I just want it to be kinda speedy and have great visibility, that's all. :D
After you add all the stuff you've been describing you'd be luck if you have enough useful load left for yourself and your cell phone.

Just want to point out if "green" or "quiet" is what you're going after - there is a tech that might have a shot at working:

<inner Henning mode>
Hydrogen Fuel Cells. It's expensive - about 3 times more expensive than gasoline if you make it from electrolysis instead of natural gas (which you should if you're worried about 'green'), but other than that the math adds up.

Light fuel, light engine, loses weight as you burn it up. There is already a 4-seater flying prototype with a 1000 mile range: The HY4 from Pipistrel.

HFC's are a pretty dumb idea when it comes to cars so it's often ridiculed - it will always be more expensive to make hydrogen than to just store the energy in a battery, and we don't need higher energy density batteries for EV's - just cheaper ones. But the application works for airplanes if you're willing to pay a higher price.
</inner Henning mode>

The take off roll is minimal. The taxi is the real fuel killer.
The trouble with trying to eliminate fuel used in taxiing is that the engine needs to be warmed up before takeoff. And using data from a Cessna 182S manual, the fuel used for engine start, taxi, and takeoff amounts to only about ten percent of the fuel used on a one hour flight at 6000 feet at 75% power, and about three percent for a four hour flight. I doubt that the real savings could be gotten up to even half of those percentages.

But I think robo taxi which pulls the plane and is controlled by the pilot is more likely.
I see a lot of practical difficulties with such an idea.

The trouble with trying to eliminate fuel used in taxiing is that the engine needs to be warmed up before takeoff. And using data from a Cessna 182S manual, the fuel used for engine start, taxi, and takeoff amounts to only about ten percent of the fuel used on a one hour flight at 6000 feet at 75% power, and about three percent for a four hour flight. I doubt that the real savings could be gotten up to even half of those percentages.

I see a lot of practical difficulties with such an idea.

Turbine's do not need much of a warm up. And it definitely does not take them the 20 minutes from gate pull to take off to get warm.

Tim

I know physics were sort of ridiculed earlier up in the thread, but any time you transfer energy from one form to another there's a loss and it's inherently going to be "less efficient" than just finding the most direct path for the energy. Cars spend a ton of time slowing down and stopped, so a hybrid makes perfect sense, especially since weight is generally, for the most part a much lower concern

**But you couldn't just take a Tesla power train and put wings on it.. that 200 mile range is going to look much smaller if you keep that power train working at 75% of its max power.. plus, like @Salty said I can't see any meaningful net gain in energy from charging the battery during descent, keeping that power plant operating at 75% ten minutes longer just so you can nose dive it in with the brakes on you scan regen is not going to gain back that extra energy you used to stay up that high.. there's no free lunch.. you may get some back, but not most

I don't think it's being a naysayer or a doubter or whatever to call out the glaring issues with hybrid electric planes as any real replacement to a simple GA plane. Picture your typical rental fleet Skyhawk, and how simply that is put together... now take out the 240 lbs in fuel from the 40 gallons, and strap on the 1,200 lb Tesla battery.. good luck getting airborne, and if you do, good luck running that at 75% power for the next 5 hrs

The only application I really see this in would be for small trainers, gliders, LSAs, etc.. but you're never going to dethrone Cirrus, Mooney, Bonanza, Cessna, etc., when it comes to having a plane that can carry a descent payload (IE, 2 adults and fuel for a couple hours). Not about "waiting for the technology to advance" it's that the energy density simple isn't there.. Boeing and Jet Blue may as well have said they have a gravity defying machine that can teleport, just need to wait for the technology to catch up

Turbine's do not need much of a warm up. And it definitely does not take them the 20 minutes from gate pull to take off to get warm.
What percentage of the total fuel use of a turbine occurs during taxi?

What percentage of the total fuel use of a turbine occurs during taxi?
Based on flight plan: A SAAB 340 will burn about 500lbs in flight for a 42 mile flight. (I did LAX to OXR direct).
Based on a PPRUNE and a few other forums, the SAAB 340 burns 12lbs per minute to taxi. I recall a gate to gate time of an hour. That means you have roughly 45 minutes of taxi time. That is 540 lbs of fuel in taxi.
Like I said, turbines are thirsty on the ground.

Tim

Based on flight plan: A SAAB 340 will burn about 500lbs in flight for a 42 mile flight. (I did LAX to OXR direct).
Based on a PPRUNE and a few other forums, the SAAB 340 burns 12lbs per minute to taxi. I recall a gate to gate time of an hour. That means you have roughly 45 minutes of taxi time. That is 540 lbs of fuel in taxi.
Like I said, turbines are thirsty on the ground.

Tim
I ask again: What percentage of the total fuel use of a turbine occurs during taxi?

I don't think it's being a naysayer or a doubter or whatever...

...but you're never going to dethrone Cirrus, Mooney, Bonanza, Cessna, etc., when it comes to having a plane that can carry a descent payload (IE, 2 adults and fuel for a couple hours).

Pretty much sounds like a naysayer to me.

Not about "waiting for the technology to advance" it's that the energy density simple isn't there..

My two points about this are-

1. Yes, today's batteries are not up to the task. We need a better battery, or whatever electrical energy storage device that may be. On this point I agree. However there are no physics that dictate we can't achieve this, or that what we have now is as good as it gets. That's ridiculous naysayer talk.
  2. We don't need to match gasoline's energy density 1:1. We only need to match end performance. The best piston engines today are still only about 30% efficient, so 70% of that fantastic energy density of gasoline is ****ed away in hot air. Because electric motors are more like 98% efficient, battery energy density only has to be maybe 35% that of a gallon of gasoline pound for pound.

Back