Really dumb Garmin 430w question

Archer Jack

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jack
Guess I must have done something dumb this morning. Just flew back to GPM from RKP. When I took off I hit direct, entered KGPM, and activated. For some reason The 430 screen showed KGPM as the origination point instead of KRKP and the magenta line was behind me all the way to Grand Prairie. This has never happened before. Any ideas on what I did wrong to cause this? Would have been nice to slave my AP to the GPS but I was afraid it would have me flying backwards to my departure point so I just used my FF and flew that magenta line instead. Argh!

Its possible that you have a user defined waypoint called GPM in the database (set somewhere back at RKP). I've seen that mistake.

@Archer Jack I don’t mean to hijack the thread. Do you own the plane in your profile picture? I made an offer on it last fall, but the engine turned out to be bad. I was wondering what happened to it after I went in another direction.

Did you hit Direct-Enter-Enter or Direct-Direct-Enter? The former will go direct to the selected waypoint from the current position, regardless of other flight plan entries. The latter will activate the selected leg of the current flight plan. If KRKP was selected in a flight plan page when you initiated either sequence you could get an unexpected result. If things get messed up, you can always go direct to a selected waypoint by going to the flight plan page, selecting the desired waypoint, and selecting Direct-Enter-Enter. or you can hit Direct on a nav page, enter a new waypoint, and Enter-Enter. The flight plan page will always show what it thinks you have selected. There are apparently lots of ways to mess up nav entries, as I manage to find them on a regular basis.

@Archer Jack I don’t mean to hijack the thread. Do you own the plane in your profile picture? I made an offer on it last fall, but the engine turned out to be bad. I was wondering what happened to it after I went in another direction.
It’s my plane. Engine is fine. Had 3 hrs smoh when I bought it.

Congrats! I was too cheap to pay what they wanted toward the OH, so I walked. 5 months later I had to pay 100% toward the OH on the plane I eventually bought anyway....d’oh!

Back