Really depressing

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
It really is depressing when you are flying a 200 knot tas aircraft, and you slog around for three hours at less than twin comanche speeds. Man, the wind around Ohio and Michigan are brutal.

On the other hand, I can't wait to go home! That should be some ride.

Bryon, you know the winds will switch before your turnaround.

It really is depressing when you are flying a 200 knot tas aircraft, and you slog around for three hours at less than twin comanche speeds. Man, the wind around Ohio and Michigan are brutal.

If your luck is like mine, you will have a headwind that way too..:hairraise::wink2:

Yep the wind can be a patience tester, but if it's in your favor it can make things fun. About a month ago I saw for a brief moment 132 Knot ground speed. Doesn't sound impressive until you consider that I was in a Cessna 140 with a climb prop. I normally plan for 86 knot cruise speed.

Yep the wind can be a patience tester, but if it's in your favor it can make things fun. About a month ago I saw for a brief moment 132 Knot ground speed. Doesn't sound impressive until you consider that I was in a Cessna 140 with a climb prop. I normally plan for 86 knot cruise speed.
That IS impressive.

My worst and best.

Ground speed 50kt from Nantucket island to Great Barrington Mass

Ground speed 170kt from ABQ to Omaha

In a skyhawk

I think I saw 106 kts in a 150 but the reason that was impressive is because I pulled the power back (hate turbulence). So the airspeed indicator in the plane probably said 80 or something. If I had the power in more I'm sure it would have been more. This was the GPS / speed / Foreflight / iPad.

If we flew that day in Cali, Kim, I am sure we could have seen some impressive speeds going south.

My personal best is 163kts sustained @ 12,499.9 ft ...in a 28-161 :D I looked at the tanks when I landed and thought I had stolen something lol. The whole time Im up there giving myself a cold I kept thinking 'man, imagine when I start doing this on a glasair!' Tailwinds are awesome.

My best was 220 in the Twin-Star, worst was 35 in a Decathlon (at which point I got bored and decided to practice hovering).

My worst was 29 mph coming back from OSH over Murdo SD in my 801. My best was 614 mph over Ark in a CJ-4 @ fl450.

Last edited:
Worst 58 kts in a 110kt plane.

Best 165kts in the same plane

Another best is 145 kts in a 95kt plane

My most fun was flying BACKWARDS in a Cessna 150. Slow flight in about 50 knots of headwind.

This past Thursday had an afternoon trip from NW Alabama to Wichita Falls Tx. 105 knots directly on the nose for over an hour. Ouch! Most head wind I have ever had. More than 60 knots entire trip.

Worst 58 kts in a 110kt plane.

Best 165kts in the same plane

Another best is 145 kts in a 95kt plane

Worst, 53knt GS in a 125ktas airplane.
Best? 1.15 Mach

If Ben can use a jet, I can too. :wink2:

Unless you are getting paid by the hour.

Cherokee 180:
Worst - 45knots in a headwind between abq and E89
Best - 200 knots in a tailwind between 0E0 and SAF.

both were really crazy days.

40 in a C152 for me. And it was while landing in a local international airport, with 2 regional jets waiting.

Comanche -
Best: 215kts between TOL and LOM
Worst: 90kts between WV62 and I40

Grumman AA5B "Tiger"

Best: Mach 3

Worst: Mach 2.9

Did you have the drag chute installed yet so you can land somewhere other than a Bravo?

No. Thrust reversers.

They still haven't told me if they lengthened Wings yet. How do I find out?

Just fly in. We'll scrape your remains off Stenton Ave if it's too short.

Last edited:
Wait, now I can start measuring my speed in Mach? Super cool.

You can always measure speed in whatever arbitrary units you desire. Furlongs per fortnite is a peculiar unit which may interest some.

Well, the return trip was much nicer. 246 knots GS was nice, while it lasted. Had to pull power back in the turbulence, though. Still did 221 knots on 24 gph, which was really nice.

You can always measure speed in whatever arbitrary units you desire. Furlongs per fortnite is a peculiar unit which may interest some.

I would love to see you convert yours to "furlongs per fortnite".

Then I can decide how I want to start measuring. Mach still sounds cooler.

I would love to see you convert yours to "furlongs per fortnite".

1 furlong = 660 ft
1 nautical mile = 2076 yards

furlong/nautical mile = 2076*3/660 = 9.44 furlong/nautical mile

1 fortnight is 14 days or 336 hours/fortnight

So for an average velocity of 135 knts we have:

(135 nautical miles/hour)*(9.44 furlongs/nautical mile)*(336 hours/fortnight) = 428,198 furlongs/fortnight

Impressive, no?

Last edited:
1 furlong = 660 ft
1 nautical mile = 2076 feet

furlong/nautical mile = 2076/660 = 3.145 furlong/nautical mile

1 fortnight is 14 days or 336 hours/fortnight

So for an average velocity of 135 knts we have:

(135 nautical miles/hour)*(3.145 furlongs/nautical mile)*(336 hours/fortnight) = 142,657 furlongs/fortnight

Impressive, no?

Oh, you're one of those "bigger is better" guys. I get it.

Back