Realistic career path?

Hi, I'm 41. And I'm interested in going the commercial route. I just did a discovery flight and I was going to book my FAA medical but I got discouraged by some people online. Is this realistic for my age? I'd also have to take out a loan which is what people have been talking down to me about. Someone told me if I can't pay for the PPL in cash then don't bother. My financial situation is that my wife took over mortgage and many expenses while I became a stay at home dad during Covid. But now I have no debt and I'm working nights again and was planning on taking a loan out and training every weekday. The school near me has a loan option from start to MEI rating at $89k and I wouldn't have to start paying until I think 15 months in. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm hoping I can get a monthly payment of about $600. Also my plan was to get to my CFI and then teach while logging hours. Does anyone think this is realistic?
Stop listening to other people and make up your own mind.

You can go from zero to hero in 18months. Teach for another 24months, and interview with a regional before you are 45-46, and make it to the "Bigs" by 50, and fly right seat for another 15 before forced retire. Keep your financials to yourself.

How bad do you want it? Time is ticking!

Wife sounds like a go-getter. She will likely have a much easier time getting hired since companies are trying to hire women to equal out the pilot diversity. I would suggest getting her an intro flight to see how she likes it.

Hi, I'm 41. And I'm interested in going the commercial route. I just did a discovery flight and I was going to book my FAA medical but I got discouraged by some people online. Is this realistic for my age? I'd also have to take out a loan which is what people have been talking down to me about. Someone told me if I can't pay for the PPL in cash then don't bother. My financial situation is that my wife took over mortgage and many expenses while I became a stay at home dad during Covid. But now I have no debt and I'm working nights again and was planning on taking a loan out and training every weekday. The school near me has a loan option from start to MEI rating at $89k and I wouldn't have to start paying until I think 15 months in. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm hoping I can get a monthly payment of about $600. Also my plan was to get to my CFI and then teach while logging hours. Does anyone think this is realistic?
Welcome. You've already received a lot of advice--some good, some rather dubious. And in true internet fashion, some of the advisors have turned their attention to advising other advisors regarding their advice. All in good sport, of course.

So, for what little it may be worth, here's my perspective.

Do ya feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya? Because if you don't feel lucky, you better really LOVE flying lest ye risk disillusionment (if you don't achieve Mach 2 with your hair on fire, and even flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog**** out of Hong Kong becomes an impossible dream). So, do you LOVE flying? Like, it's all you think about 24/7? You wrote that you have flown one discovery flight. That's great, but it may be premature to stake your future on just that singular experience at the controls.

Take Pinecone's sage advice regarding the medical. Don't finance anything until you have soloed, at which point you should pause for a bit of deep introspection: Do I LOVE it enough to say, truthfully and with conviction, "I do, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, yea verily amen?"

I was lucky and got hired by a major airline in 1987. Over the ensuing 36 years, I've flown with pilots from almost every background imaginable, including many for whom flying was a second career. Among those are/were dozens who started flying in their early forties, and who made it to the majors with 15-20 good years ahead of them before mandatory retirement. You could become one of those (or perhaps land a plum non-airline position), but for every one who made it there is one who didn't. A man's gotta know his limitations. If you choose to pursue flying as a career then you gotta love flying airplanes enough to justify the investment and the sacrifice in case you have to divert before reaching your intended destination.

Good luck--we're all counting on you.

Last edited:
Weird generalization. In this day and age, there’s all kinds of life situations that people find themselves in and it doesn’t at all reflect on their level of ambition. The man doesn’t have to be the breadwinner of the family. If the wife has a higher paying job and it financially makes sense for the man to stay home with the kids, I don’t see at all how that reflects on their prospects of being a successful captain.

The biggest change "in this day and age" is to look at something that walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, call it a chicken, then get mad at people who think it's a duck.

He came here asking for advice, and specifically laid out his financial plan. He has received advice from people farther down the path.

So your advice is for him to stop asking for advice? Hmmmmm.......

There You go again. Trying to think logically and/or apply logic.

Users are talking B's here
You haven't been here long, have you? ;):cool:

I don't think I see the "bs" you are seeing, though. Sure, OP could go full-send into this venture, take out $100k worth of loans...and burn out during instrument ratings or the airline bubble could crash again or he could spend the next fifteen years as a regional FO or he could have a heart attack in five years and lose his medical, all of which are bad things on their own without the stress of that much in high-interest loans. The man has a wife and children and a responsibility to them to make choices that won't adversely affect their lives. He sounds like he is in a great position to save up and pay as he goes for flight training. He has no debt and his wife pays all the bills associated with living. He could actually set aside his earnings into an account for a few months and then start training at a rate that he can continue funding it. The time delay is negligible, but the security of that route is not. It preserves his ability to cut his losses with minimal issues, which is an important thing to be able to do when you're not single and free. The folks telling him to avoid the loans are the folks who know how devastating it could be to OP's future if anything goes wrong.

Back