Real XC Challenge.

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Since we never did get Henning across the states, I figure i would give it a shot and see what we can come up with.

The Facts: My Girfriend and I need to get to NC (near Boone on or around September 15th returning the 17th) So I can ask her father for his permission to marry his daughter.
There will be probably 500lbs load with myself, the GF and luggage.

I can fly the first leg..maybe to new mexico (Nick?)
Can we put together a group of flights to get us where we need to go ? or am i going commercial ?

Interesting. I cannot commit just yet. Depends on a lot of stuff (including possibly moving), so keep on the planning. I'll jump in if/when I can.

Michael said:
The Facts: My Girfriend and I need to get to NC (near Boone on or around September 15th returning the 17th) So I can ask her father for his permission to marry his daughter.

If you can get a leg to CHA, I can take you to Morganton, NC, which is probably as close as you can get. That flight is about 1+53 or so in our slowest plane.

I'd need to have a hard date, though, to see if I can get my hands on an airplane.

Just let me know when you will be in NC. I will drive over and see you guys. Morganton is cool. They have seaplane training over there & have a very nice 180 amphibian.

I can get you from somewhere in Maryland or Virginia to Philly so you can hideout for a while after he pulls the 12 gauge out!

I hope you have a LOT of time to do this trip. There are way too many unknowns with a GA trip in light singles across the country with multiple pilots and airplanes.

I could handle HOU to CHA if you don't mind sitting for 4.5 hrs. (we could take a pee break..lol).

wow, so if Nick can get us to HOU..We could do this....We would probly just go commercial home, would be easier on all parties. The thought of putting together a trek accross the states via several GA volunteers apeals to me :)

I am thinking about sept 15th. Would that work for Bill and Steve? Maybe Nick?

You get to Kansas or MO, I will get you to east side of TN.

I'm free that weekend (so far). EFD or GLS might be a better rondevouz point for me, if you go that route. Something in the Tyler (TYR) or Longview (GGG) if the route is more northerly.

wx permitting, of course.

Michael said:
wow, so if Nick can get us to HOU..We could do this....We would probly just go commercial home, would be easier on all parties. The thought of putting together a trek accross the states via several GA volunteers apeals to me :)

aw, jesse, angel flight does this every day...

jangell said:
I hope you have a LOT of time to do this trip. There are way too many unknowns with a GA trip in light singles across the country with multiple pilots and airplanes.

Steve said:
aw, jesse, angel flight does this every day...

true. maybe i'm just bad luck when it comes to weather.

Bill Jennings said:
If you can get a leg to CHA, I can take you to Morganton, NC,

Mountain City, TN (Johnson Co), 6A4 may actually get you closer to Boone, ask your kin to be which they prefer driving wise.

Michael said:

The mighty Skyhawk is open that weekend, I just booked it starting Friday morning.

It would be cool if we could break bread with Steve prior to departing! If we go to Mountain City (6A4), we need to go in daylight, as the little green book reads: "Mountainous terrain; high peaks all quadrants. Ngt ops not recommended for transient tfc due to terrain."

Bill Jennings said:
Mountain City, TN (Johnson Co), 6A4 may actually get you closer to Boone, ask your kin to be which they prefer driving wise.
Boone has an airport (NC14). Also, there is Jefferson (GEV) and Wilkes County (UKF). all closer than Mountain City.

If you go into Boone make sure you are proficient at short field and high DA operations. I've gone into boone many times, just be aware. Or as ETsisk said "Where's the airport" - "Right there." - "THAT is not an airport!!!"

:yes:

MDQ might be a good swap point. Would shorten the leg from TX a little bit.

Steve said:
MDQ might be a good swap point. Would shorten the leg from TX a little bit.

That would work, I've been there before.

NC Pilot said:
Boone has an airport (NC14).

If you go into Boone make sure you are proficient at short field and high DA operations. I've gone into boone many times, just be aware. Or as ETsisk said "Where's the airport" - "Right there." - "THAT is not an airport!!!"

:yes:

NC14 is listed as private, prior permission only. We could call. I've done 2200 x 40 before, so 2100 x 40 should be ok.

NC Pilot said:
Boone has an airport (NC14). Also, there is Jefferson (GEV) and Wilkes County (UKF). all closer than Mountain City.
If you go into Boone make sure you are proficient at short field and high DA operations. I've gone into boone many times, just be aware. Or as ETsisk said "Where's the airport" - "Right there." - "THAT is not an airport!!!":yes:
Darn right, I said it! That's NOT an "airport" . . . it's an alleyway!!!

(um, no offense, Barkleydog! :D)

Bill Jennings said:
NC14 is listed as private, prior permission only. We could call. I've done 2200 x 40 before, so 2100 x 40 should be ok.
No problem on the prior permission. Come on in.

Why not take the Mooney, you won't have to pay me nothing. Or, I can get you two as far as the engine doesn't stop. You okay with 110 kts?

Michael -

Um, don't you have a plane?

N2212R said:
Michael -

Um, don't you have a plane?
My thoughts exactly. Make it a grand adventure!

(Of course, my own "grand adventure" was scuttled over the praticality of making a 2800 nm round trip in a Pitts.)

Your future father in law will have one of two reactions:

This dashing young man jet-setted his own way across the country for this and that's just the sort of go-get-em my baby deserves.

-or-

I can't believe that lunatic squandered so much money on a ridiculous and dangerous hobby.

If you can get to Skagway, I could get you from there to King Salmon...
Oh wait...
Wrong direction...
Never mind. :) :)

--Kath
P.S. congrats! and this sounds like such a cool adventure!

Yes I do have a plane, :)
But If i were to take MY plane, i would for sure hit weather. I really would like to make the trip in 1 day, and am not up for the 11 hours + it would take me to fly myself. I could go comercial, but this would be way more fun.

Richard...can you get me to ABQ? or Anywhere in Kansas? That seems to be the broken link right now.

Thanks Bill for reserving the plane, and Steve and everyone else. I will have more info when we get the first leg planned.

kath said:
If you can get to Skagway, I could get you from there to King Salmon...
Oh wait...
Wrong direction...
Never mind. :) :)

It's supposed to be an adventure. What's wrong with a minor several thousand mile detour through Alaska? :confused:

Man Michael - I hate to be the broken chain.

I really can't confirm yet. It depends on what's gonna happen with this job. But without the job, you bet your ass I'll take you Eastward.

Michael said:
Yes I do have a plane, :)
But If i were to take MY plane, i would for sure hit weather. I really would like to make the trip in 1 day, and am not up for the 11 hours + it would take me to fly myself. I could go comercial, but this would be way more fun.

Richard...can you get me to ABQ? or Anywhere in Kansas? That seems to be the broken link right now.

Thanks Bill for reserving the plane, and Steve and everyone else. I will have more info when we get the first leg planned.
I can get you anywhere as long as the engine don't quit. ABQ is good enough if that's what you want. Kansas (state motto: first of the square states) is also good if that's what you need.

Richard said:
I can get you anywhere as long as the engine don't quit. ABQ is good enough if that's what you want. Kansas (state motto: first of the square states) is also good if that's what you need.

Hows the plane doing Richard? The engine ok?

Michael said:
Since we never did get Henning across the states, I figure i would give it a shot and see what we can come up with.

Can we put together a group of flights to get us where we need to go ? or am i going commercial ?

Any PIREPS on this evolution?

My plane is down for for "condition inspection" starting tomorrow. I hope to have it available on the 15th if nothing is found warranting further action.

Bill Jennings said:
Any PIREPS on this evolution?

Steve said:
My plane is down for for "condition inspection" starting tomorrow. I hope to have it available on the 15th if nothing is found warranting further action.

Ah, yes. I just drove to Destin and back over the long weekend due to the Skyhawk not coming out of annual on time. Of course, I had scheduled the vacation on the 182, then it got run over, then switched to the 172, and it looked free and clear. Then, the maint officer put it in annual the week before I wanted it (did that about 4 weeks ago), and suprise suprise, it didn't make it out in time.

But, I love to drive on holiday weekends...NOT!

I can't wait until my partner is ready, we're looking seriously at T182RG's now...

Michael said:

I haven't heard anything since the original thread (well, not fully true, Steve, how is the condition inspection going?), so I suppose this mission is a bust?

Still have the plane reserved for Friday, wondering?

Back