Real-time turbulence awareness

Flying_Nun

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying_Nun
How many piston planes have Gogo inflight tech?

"Pilots flying aircraft equipped with Gogo inflight technology will now get air turbulence alerts in real-time, the two companies announced Thursday."

"Private planes will be the first to take advantage of the new technology, but both companies hope to expand its network to commercial fleets globally in the future."

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/16/tec...ogo-turbulence0927AMStoryLink&linkId=25641503

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much? Awe...... Nevermind. If I have to ask, I can't afford it.

And this is better than ADSB weather? The data is exactly the same. And if it isn't, it's BS. Modeling actual clear air turbulence is quite difficult and not reliable. Modeling the potential for turbulence is a bit easier, but that's about as informative as the AIRMET TANGOs we already get.

There are only so many PIREPs.

Never knew light aircraft had gogo inflight. Always thought that was something only offered on Southwest. :lol:

Love me some Gogo.

gogo-yubari.jpg

Oh, wrong Gogo?

Predict it? Geez, I really don't want to know in advance. . .

If the predictions work as well as actual Gogo internet, my airplane will be falling from the sky in a few hundred pieces when the alert comes through.

Naw, you guys are getting it all wrong. It uses the accelerometer and alerts you that you're shaking. For an extra $50 a year, they will let you know when you hit your head on the roof.

Naw, you guys are getting it all wrong. It uses the accelerometer and alerts you that you're shaking. For an extra $50 a year, they will let you know when you hit your head on the roof.

Assuming they do rely on accelerometers:
1. How do they tell the difference between the aircraft shaking the phone vs. you doing it?
2. How do they assure transmission/reception of the data, even if valid? (My experience sending texts when airborne is haphazard at best, and it seems to get worse with altitude.)

It is not in the article, but Gogo business and commercial are installed hardware so this is information coming from aircraft systems, not a smartphone. Your point still remains that the data might be from intentional flying and not turbulence, and I have to imagine that is where the IBM Watson partnership comes in to filter the noise.

Real time turbulence awareness? If stuff is bouncing around the cockpit, that's usually a decent indicator that you're in turbulence.

Back