Real Pilot Story from the Field: No Go-Around - A lesson from the Backcountry

Interesting story. Unless I missed it, no one mentioned why the plane stalled. (all student pilots should be able to answer that)

I have been to some one way strips once or twice in my career. Usually they were also short. One thing I made sure of is I was able to put the mains down on the spot I wanted. No floating, no missing the touch down point by 25 feet, but put them exactly where I wanted them to touch the ground. A/S control is essential. There is a point where the approach will change from approaching the landing area to you are going to land. Before that point I was stabilized, A/S was +-O on speed, aim point was in sight, I knew where the mains will touch down, flaps were where I wanted them, runway clear...we ARE going to land.

I did a go around on one particular one way strip. It was a strip that pointed straight to the mountain, kind of a small box canyon, but the village was on a flat area giving just enough to turn if done correctly The strip was also long, about 1700 feet. Which helped a lot since landing was usually going to be a landing with a tail wind.

I was on final, about a 15 knot tail wind and the runway was clear. I reach the point that I determined was the last point I could still initiate a go around and not have the wind push me into the mountain in front of me, and still get above the trees during the turn. As I passed that point, a 4 wheeler pulls out of the trees crossing the runway. The person driving was pulling a trailer loaded with wood for the stove. He had his head turned looking at the load. I added full power, climbed to about 10 feet and passed over the rider. He saw me that time.

As soon as I got above the trees I started the left turn. I could feel the wind pushing me, I had the flaps to 30 degrees to tighten up the turn and was watching the trees, very closely I might add, to make sure I would clear them. One thing working for me was the tail wind was turning into a quartering headwind from my right side. I could feel the climb rate increasing as I was turning. I missed the trees, the 4 wheeler and the mountain. I made the go around into a downwind leg and landed without further complications. A good day for me.

And the village got another plane load of Pepsi for the village store.

Back