Real life experience with "maneuvering" for the purpose of ADS-B compliance

k9medic

Line Up and Wait
N Central FL and GTC Bahamas when off work
Display Name

Display name:
ATP-H, CMEL, CSEL, CFI/CFII Airplanes and Helicopters
I just had my transponder installed with the ADBS-B upgrade. My base of operation is no where near "rule airspace" but I will be flying though a Class B and it's veil this coming Friday as part of a trip.

The rule says 30 minutes with 10 minutes of maneuvering. I checked AC20-165B section 4.3 and it references 360 degree turns, descents and climbs. I would obviously prefer to NOT change up my flight plan that much (particularly since it's IFR.)

Has anybody been successful in simply flying through Class B under IFR with vectors?

Well I did my long trip on Friday and would you believe that it showed that I did not spend enough flight time in rule airspace! 2.5 hours on an IFR flight plan including an international landing and transition between two different class B/ approach controls and centers.

Thankfully, about 30 minutes after that report, I got another email stating that my flight had been reviewed and that they had decised to issue me the credit.

I waited to see if I could decipher it from other comments but...
I was just wondering, is this maneuvering intended for calibration/checking of ADS-B, is that the point of it or is it something else?

I waited to see if I could decipher it from other comments but...
I was just wondering, is this maneuvering intended for calibration/checking of ADS-B, is that the point of it or is it something else?

It's a required test for the FAA to issue the refund. I think it assures that your position reporting matches the radar whilst maneuvering, since antenna orientation would change during climbs and turns.

My proving flight at 10,000'...........Waiting for the bucks from FAA!!

pYuVpK.jpg

When my ADS-B box was installed two years ago, they only counted time in "Rule Airspace", with one exception.

For my first test flight I doodled around for about an hour near Kelso WA, in an area with radar coverage. I did all the recommended maneuvers. But I got a 'fail' because I was not in FAR 91.225 airspace long enough. It only credited me with eleven minutes, which was likely only the time I was below the floor of the PDX Class C in the process of departing from and returning to home base of KVUO.

A day or two later I went back up, and this time told ATC what I was doing, got flight following, and drew squiggles in the sky over the top of the Class C, which is "Rule Airspace". This time it passed.

On both trips, FAA's "Performance Monitor" credited the time I was below the Class C, which technically is not "Rule Airspace"; but none of my time outside the lateral limit of the Class C was counted.

Back