Real Gasket Pushrod Kit

iflyvfr

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Greg
OK, with the overspray on the windshield issue resolved, I'm moving on to my leaky pushrods on my O300. We've done the tried & true methods repeatedly but old rods won't seal, which makes my inside cowling & belly a mess.

So we are going to install 3 kits on the left side of the motor (and move the leaks someplace else). :rolleyes2: http://realgaskets.com/files/colorpush.htm

I am carefully studying the material and the photo on their website and it looks pretty straight forward. I figure with decowling and having to drop both the intake and exhaust, this should take us 12 hours, hopefully less after the first one is complete. I'm really looking forward to some closely supervised work on my plane, I enjoy getting to know everything I can about her.

Anyone have any experience or tips they can share to make this go smoothly? My A&P hasn't done one but he is sold on the design and ready to go forward.

Thanks.

OK, with the overspray on the windshield issue resolved, I'm moving on to my leaky pushrods on my O300. We've done the tried & true methods repeatedly but old rods won't seal, which makes my inside cowling & belly a mess.

So we are going to install 3 kits on the left side of the motor (and move the leaks someplace else). :rolleyes2: http://realgaskets.com/files/colorpush.htm

I am carefully studying the material and the photo on their website and it looks pretty straight forward. I figure with decowling and having to drop both the intake and exhaust, this should take us 12 hours, hopefully less after the first one is complete. I'm really looking forward to some closely supervised work on my plane, I enjoy getting to know everything I can about her.

Anyone have any experience or tips they can share to make this go smoothly? My A&P hasn't done one but he is sold on the design and ready to go forward.

Thanks.

I installed them on an O-200 I built. Since the engine was on the stand and no exhaust etc, it was pretty painless. If I had to do it again, I would. It is pretty simple. Just follow the instructions.

Since the engine was on the stand and no exhaust etc, it was pretty painless. If I had to do it again, I would. It is pretty simple. Just follow the instructions.

Yeah, wouldn't THAT be nice to have it all out in the open. Don't remember any gotchas that you wish you'd known ahead of time? I know I need a cutter with my dremel to get the tubes out...

I haven't done any but I've read the installation instructions and a bit of research came up with mixed reviews. Removal of the existing tubes does sound kind of medieval and use of RTV for sealing that end a bit sketchy in my mind. You really need to find an unbiased long term review from someone, something I haven't seen.

Considering the cost of these things I think you could purchase the tool to re-swage the original tubes and install new lower end seals with some EZ-Turn applied. That's what I've done in the past and it does work but it's a bit of work too.

I haven't done any but I've read the installation instructions and a bit of research came up with mixed reviews. Removal of the existing tubes does sound kind of medieval and use of RTV for sealing that end a bit sketchy in my mind. You really need to find an unbiased long term review from someone, something I haven't seen.

Considering the cost of these things I think you could purchase the tool to re-swage the original tubes and install new lower end seals with some EZ-Turn applied. That's what I've done in the past and it does work but it's a bit of work too.

RTV is used to seal the large area silicone washer to the rough casting surface of the cylinder head, in my experience, worked quite well. Basically clean the area well, dry, add a bit of RTV and the spring loaded tube & metal washer presses the silicone washer firmly onto the cylinder head. RTV does not really seal the tube to the washer, but the clamping force applied to the steel washer squeezes the silicone washer firmly around the tube.

All the silicone parts are re-usable I think, based on condition of course.

IMHO they deal with expansion and contraction much better than the factory setup.

Last edited:

We've tried the traditional method of swaging the tubes and this time, it came back way worse than before. I should have bought all six of them back when they were $75 a piece. They sure are proud of the kit, but it does look like a nice setup. I called and talked to the guy who is their technical expert.

He explained the process very well and made me promise to call him on the Saturday we choose to install them.

RTV is used to seal the large area silicone washer to the rough casting surface of the cylinder head, in my experience, worked quite well. Basically clean the area well, dry, add a bit of RTV and the spring loaded tube & metal washer presses the silicone washer firmly onto the cylinder head. RTV does not really seal the tube to the washer, but the clamping force applied to the steel washer squeezes the silicone washer firmly around the tube.

All the silicone parts are re-usable I think, based on condition of course.

IMHO they deal with expansion and contraction much better than the factory setup.

My friend talked to an O-200 owner recently that did his and posted very favorable results. With this latest leak we decided to get it done and over with. Your description matches that of Chris Carter's over at Real Gaskets.

I am happy to provide a photographic 'journey' if anyone would find it valuable to see them going in on an installed O300. Its a good way to pay back for the help I often get from the online community.

For example, if you didn't see how the paint overspray came off on my windscreen (which I feared was ruined) using auto detailing claybar, they are here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxRCx-rLC62NS09Tb2lsb1I4QXc&usp=sharing

Yes, pictures of your installation experience would be greatly appreciated.

Back