Real Emergency - Power Off Landing with family in Piper Arrow after throttle cable breaks

Yeah, it was posted before...

I saw the video, but not sure what he did. Did he cut the power with the mixture control when he thought he had the runway made, bleed off speed to drop the gear (manually or some other way), and then bleed more speed to optionally put in flaps before touchdown?

I saw the video, but not sure what he did. Did he cut the power with the mixture control when he thought he had the runway made, bleed off speed to drop the gear (manually or some other way), and then bleed more speed to optionally put in flaps before touchdown?

There is another video where he explains what he did. He pitched up to get to gear down speed, then cut mixture, full flaps after crossing threshold , even turned off to the taxiway crossing the hold short line.

Gear speed in an Arrow is reasonably fast compared to its cruise. Even full throttle, if it isn't that hard to get where you need to be. I saw this video at least a year or so ago. The guy did an excellent job.

I think pilot did very well. ATC as well.

Arrow does have a fairly high gear speed relative to cruise. I think if i got into that situation(Arrow or even something faster), I would get literally over the airport high, pitch up to extend gear and flaps and then see of I can get it to descend below flap and gear speeds with prop and mixture(without shutdown). If successful at finding a setting that works(and i think it should be doable), descend in the pattern and cut power once runway is made. If not successful, then just do a power off. Probably restarting now and then to make sure it is possible just in case.

Back