Ready to Get Serious...I Think

p8cleared2land

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
p8cleared2land
I am beginning to look for an airplane. My capabilities at this point fall in the C150/152 range. Here are my thoughts so far:

C150/152: affordable, easy to fly, low fuel burn, could rent if I need something bigger

C172: more expensive, but could actually invite a px, I am signed up to start IR training in March...could use my own plane?

Any advice is welcome. Yes, I'm scared. And tired of renting.

:D

Where are you looking? many good websites.

Where are you looking? many good websites.

I am just starting.

It has been suggested I get an online membership to Trade-a-Plane. I will do that this evening.

Ebay? craigslist?

or cherokee 140 for something more affordable than your average 172

A good place to look is http://www.globalplanesearch.com/ which will search most everything except trade-a-plane and put all the results (with links to the various sites such as controller, aso, etc.) all in one place. Very handy.

Agree on the 172 - More options, the average example is better for IFR, and it should be very easy to sell if/when you decide to move to something bigger/faster/smaller/slower/sportier/etc. Or, go with a PA28-series plane. I'd go for a 160 or 180 hp Cherokee series plane if I went in that direction, but then I like to carry stuff sometimes and go a bit faster.

I am beginning to look for an airplane. My capabilities at this point fall in the C150/152 range. Here are my thoughts so far:

C150/152: affordable, easy to fly, low fuel burn, could rent if I need something bigger

C172: more expensive, but could actually invite a px, I am signed up to start IR training in March...could use my own plane?

You can find an IFR certified C150 in the $18K-$25K range. If you look at an IFR certified 172 you can double that. Insurance on the C150 will run you around $800.00 and for the C172 it will be in the $1100- $1300 range depending on hull value. I started with an IFR C150 and then moved up to the 172. I agree with what the others have said about buying what you can afford. Also will it fit the bill for the kind of flying you are going to do? That to me is the #1 question.

What's your budget, what type of flying do you want to do, and are you mechanically inclined?

I am just starting.

It has been suggested I get an online membership to Trade-a-Plane. I will do that this evening.

Ebay? craigslist?

aso.com and don't forget the AOPA classifieds, that is where I found my plane.

Also if you are looking at a 172 look at the Piper Warriors. They have the same performance numbers as the Cessna at less cost. when I went looking I tried very hard to not brand name shop and instead went for mission capable shopping. In the end, after looking at Mooneys, Cessna, Pipers, etc. I ended up with a Piper and love it.

My best piece of advise is to find an owner mentor. Someone that knows the pitfalls of purchasing and owning that you can ask the thousands of questions you will have.

Thank you, all. I need to keep it below 60k. Idaho offers a lot of different types of flying, but I am not qualified for the back country stuff. I travel quite a bit and am very active in a women's pilot organization. Mechanical things intrigue me, but my skills are virtually non-existent in that area.

As far as Piper/Cessna...I thought maybe resale was better on Cessna. And I like to see the ground.

???

Thank you, all. I need to keep it below 60k. Idaho offers a lot of different types of flying, but I am not qualified for the back country stuff. I travel quite a bit and am very active in a women's pilot organization. Mechanical things intrigue me, but my skills are virtually non-existent in that area.

As far as Piper/Cessna...I thought maybe resale was better on Cessna. And I like to see the ground.

???

Any objections to experimental? Will you use it mostly on paved runways? Do you want this for a travelling machine, you say you travel quite a bit? You're in an active women's pilots organization, do you want to get involved in back country flying? You won't get qualified till you do it, then you're qualified, keep doing it and you get more qualified. Qualified is just a matter of experience. Does it need more than one seat?

I am beginning to look for an airplane. ...Yes, I'm scared.
If you really want to be scared, email me and I'll send you a copy of a paper I wrote on ownership costs of an aircraft in this class.:D

Seriously, there shouldn't be any debate between a 150/152 and a 172 -- either the 150/152 won't do the mission, or there's no need to buy the larger plane. You should sit down and figure out just what you want to do with the plane -- range, payload (# and size of people as well as baggage), VFR only or IFR-capable, types of airports (paved/unpaved, elevations, lengths), etc. Now you can determine the sort of aircraft you can afford that will do 90-95% of what you want it to do (the other 5-10% of the time you can rent or borrow).

Once you determine your needs, you can start looking at all the types in that group which might do the job. Thus, if a 2+2 plane like a 172 is what you need, check out 172's, Piper Warriors or 140/150/160 Cherokees, Grumman Cheetahs/Travelers, and Beech 19 Sports. If a low-end 2-seater will do, check out 150/152's, Beech Skippers, and Grumman Yankees (I'm not a fan of the Piper Tomahawk). You may also find that after the initial purchase price, there is little difference in ongoing ownership cost between the 150-160HP 2+2 types listed and the 180HP 4-seaters that constitute the next step up (180HP-converted 172, Piper Archer/180 Cherokee, Grumman Tiger, Beech Sundowner).

Think about these issues and you'll find your selection process is clarified significantly. Also, don't feel locked into one brand just because that's what you're currently flying. I got my first few hundred hours primarily in Cessnas, but I'm now a die-hard Grumman guy. Others start in Pipers and go to Cessna once they've flown them. You really don't know for sure until you've flown them all.

1x1.gif

1x1.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here is one I found on barnstormers. 150 SMOH, IFR, $45,000. Just right for Instrument training, and low time for resale. Bob[/FONT]
1x1.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]67CESSNA172[/FONT]​

67CESSNA172 • $45,000 • FOR SALE172H, 4665 TT, 150 SMOH, IFR Cert., KX170B NAV/COM,​

Last edited:
Wow, how many 67 Cessna 172s can one guy have? :)
Sorry about that I am trying to learn how to copy and paste I may of over done it a little.

I found another plane in the same place that would be great for you. It is a 1954 Cessna 180. 550 SMOH and looks real nice in the photos. I don't dare to try to paste it on here. It is in www.barnstormers.com under Browse, and then under Cessna. This would be a great plane for you once you decide to go flying in the Idaho back country. Bob

1x1.gif

1x1.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here is one I found on barnstormers. 150 SMOH, IFR, $45,000. Just right for Instrument training, and low time for resale. Bob[/FONT]
1x1.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]67CESSNA172[/FONT]​

67CESSNA172 • $45,000 • FOR SALE172H, 4665 TT, 150 SMOH, IFR Cert., KX170B NAV/COM,​

I sold mine too cheap if this one is worth that. Mine was a 64 E model, 2330 TT, 88 SMOH, 88 POH, S-Tec 40 AP, Dual VORs, one with GS, new interior, paint a 7/10 and I sold it for $35K. This guy must be using the AOPA Vref to get his asking price, it seems to be about 20% over what they are actually selling for.

I'm selling mine. I bought it for my son to train in and rebuilt it so he would be safe. Totally went through it. I put new cylinders and a new carb on plus carb temp and cylinder temp gauges. I am not done with the leather interior yet but it is nice. Looking at around $20,000.00. Fresh annual. I fly it now back and forth to work. See a picture in Hanger talk around Dec 10th. or search stingray. My son can train in the cougar instead.

Dan

Thank you for the leads! I ski instruct Thur-Sun and haven't had time to look at these...

I sold mine too cheap if this one is worth that. Mine was a 64 E model, 2330 TT, 88 SMOH, 88 POH, S-Tec 40 AP, Dual VORs, one with GS, new interior, paint a 7/10 and I sold it for $35K. This guy must be using the AOPA Vref to get his asking price, it seems to be about 20% over what they are actually selling for.
Dean, we are selling our 1/2 of the Skyhawk to our partner in a few months. If you're interested in a partnership, let me know.

Dean, we are selling our 1/2 of the Skyhawk to our partner in a few months. If you're interested in a partnership, let me know.

Thanks Diana, but with me working for the state and always having that chance of be transferred, I prefer to own by myself. I would hate to own 1/2 a plane and be several hundred miles from it.:yes:

Back