Ready room seating

CharlieD3

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CharlieD3
Okay, in another thread, I asked about aviation themed furniture. Someone asked about plans for ready room chairs (made from wood).

I could make such plans to correct scale if someone here had such a chair in their possession (somebody here MUST have one or more) and was willing to take some photos and do some measurements (2 measurements would be sufficient, more would be better).

It would also be interesting to see how the back reclines... And what the knob/lever on the left side does.

Anyone?

Hmmm... I gotta b-52 tail gunner seat. It’s pretty close to what you’re thinking.

I’ll get some photos in next day or two when I get to the airport (it’s in a friends hangar).

Shoot me an email at n0kkj@yahoo.com, ham radio call sign, it’s a zero not an “oh”, so I know where to send them.

Hmmm... I gotta b-52 tail gunner seat. It’s pretty close to what you’re thinking.

I’ll get some photos in next day or two when I get to the airport (it’s in a friends hangar).

Shoot me an email at n0kkj@yahoo.com, ham radio call sign, it’s a zero not an “oh”, so I know where to send them.
No, they're nothing alike... I don't think.

This is one from an old thread here
f805a99bbdac4077c30eb9a68ac6604a.jpg

Just thought I'd bump this and ask again....
I've got pix... I need 2 actual measurements... Can be from leg to leg... Front to back. And say front legs side to side...

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the appeal of the ready room chairs? I know they seem to go for substantial prices when advertised. Are they particularly comfortable? Or just a reminder of past times for old Naval aviators?

I don’t see the appeal for a replica chair. The whole point in having one is the history aspect of having a chair that was in a carrier ready room. Preferably one that was VF or VFA. Nobody wants a ready room VAW or VAQ chair. God forbid an HSL one. :D

I don’t see the appeal for a replica chair. The whole point in having one is the history aspect of having a chair that was in a carrier ready room. Preferably one that was VF or VFA. Nobody wants a ready room VAW or VAQ chair. God forbid an HSL one. :D
Hmm.... Maybe for the same reason people build mini mustangs... Replica cobra automobiles, and craftsman furniture... Or "planes" out of craft foam and glue....

Just kidding... I think Velocities are about the most interesting and compelling looking canards out there.

Some folk can't afford the real thing, but (quite often mistakenly) think it would be cheaper to build their own, and customize it to their desire....

Someone asked... And I liked the challenge of creating the plans...

I used to kind of like you, @Velocity173 , but you go and do this ... smh .... :D

The VAW chairs would be the least used ... because we were ALWAYS AIRBORNE on overlapping double cycles, not sitting around waiting to launch.

how soon they forget who their friends are, when on a dark and stormy night, I get the radio call "Hey, Hawkeye ... we're low fuel ... got vectors to Texaco? Or Mother?"

It would also be interesting to see how the back reclines... And what the knob/lever on the left side does.
The back is hinged at the bottom and the knob on the left side is what locks the back in position. Pull the knob up and it disengages the lock so you can lean back to recline.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the appeal of the ready room chairs? I know they seem to go for substantial prices when advertised. Are they particularly comfortable? Or just a reminder of past times for old Naval aviators?

Comfortable piece of aviation nostalgia....if you can afford one. More of a hangar or man-cave chair than something you’d have in your living room.

Back