Ready for the checkride

Morne

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Morne
Ready for the checkride - PASSED!!!!

Got signed off for my checkride a couple weeks ago but wanted to get through a mock checkride with a different instructor first. Last night we did the mock ride and it went well. He gushed praise about the hold, even.

Nailed the approaches, even though I spaced out on adjusting my DG periodically. Kept the needles centered, though.

It has been a long road getting here. Been working on it since Spring. Now to find a decent Ohio flying day in December for the DPE.

Last edited:
Congrats and good luck!

where did you do your training at?

Got signed off for my checkride a couple weeks ago but wanted to get through a mock checkride with a different instructor first. Last night we did the mock ride and it went well. He gushed praise about the hold, even.

Nailed the approaches, even though I spaced out on adjusting my DG periodically. Kept the needles centered, though.

It has been a long road getting here. Been working on it since Spring. Now to find a decent Ohio flying day in December for the DPE.

Ack, only one good weather day this week and the DPE is already booked...

Book an appointment and just hope for the best. Good luck.

You did a good job with me, so I am unsurprised. Get it done, as the others have said. Your timing isn't the best though, the last couple weeks have had far better weather.

Good luck with the weather gods Morne! I'm in about the same situation as you are: a 2 week window to get it done, starting end of this week. If I don't, it will be at least 2 months before I get another chance (and that will only be a one week window, then another 2 months after that). That will mean redoing the checkride prep since it's only good for 60 days.

The only thing that's better here is my DPE's schedule is wide open (or was anyway, when I talked to him last week). But weather is still likely to be a big problem.

Scheduled now for 1/3/13. May have to make a sacrificial offering to the weather gods...

Woo-hoo!!!

I passed me checkride today! Absolutely crushed the oral portion. Was a bit nervous about the practical because of the forecasted turbulence and gusty winds today. Indeed, the weather was very choppy and it made my approaches rather, ummm, sporting. But I kept it all together. Hardest part was making sure I corrected enough for the wind in the hold (took about 20-degrees of correction).

I am very relieved it is over. Very. I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

But I also feel like I proved a lot. After all, it won't be the calm, blue sky days where I'll need my ticket. It's likely to be a crumby day with plenty of bouncing when I'll need my instrument skills to be in tip-top shape. I feel like I showed the examimer, and more importantly myself, that I can do it even on a bad day. THAT feels pretty awesome!

You're going to find that making the go/no-go call is the tough part. Sunny days are easy calls, as are days of widespread freezing rain or convective. The somewhat snarly days in between present the most challenges.

Flying the airplane will be relatively simple compared to the mental gyrations involved as you deal with the "better to be on the ground wishing you were flying rather than flying while wishing you were on the ground."

Congratulations and good luck.

Woo-hoo!!!

I passed me checkride today! Absolutely crushed the oral portion. Was a bit nervous about the practical because of the forecasted turbulence and gusty winds today. Indeed, the weather was very choppy and it made my approaches rather, ummm, sporting. But I kept it all together. Hardest part was making sure I corrected enough for the wind in the hold (took about 20-degrees of correction).

I am very relieved it is over. Very. I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

But I also feel like I proved a lot. After all, it won't be the calm, blue sky days where I'll need my ticket. It's likely to be a crumby day with plenty of bouncing when I'll need my instrument skills to be in tip-top shape. I feel like I showed the examimer, and more importantly myself, that I can do it even on a bad day. THAT feels pretty awesome!

Back