Ready for my medical exam

U

Unregistered

I plan to start my PPL training in three months. There is a local AME where I live. I am confident I will pass. My blood pressure is well under control with with an approved medication. That is my only medical issue. Should I call and make an appointment? Should I consult with someone else first (Dr Bruce)?

I have read here I should not get my exam unless I know I will pass. Do most AMEs talk about your issues first before doing an exam or do they just do the exam and see what happens?

My limited experience only seven medicals in my flying career has been evaluation only. Their job is to properly determine if you meet medical standards for flight. However, on one occasion, I had a high protein count and the AME's nurse would not accept the sample until drank gallons or at least it seemed like gallons of water. This provided an acceptable urine sample and I received the medical.

Do not know if this was a kindly old examiner who was helping me or all do this. The next time I took the medical test I had over the previous three days drank lots of water and my protein level was not an issue.

Sounds like you've already done TurboMedical on AOPA or something similar, if you know the med is approved. If you've also gone through and can truthfully answer all of the Q18 things so there is no explanation needed, I'd think you're pretty good for making the appointment. If you answered any of those such that it requires an explanation, that's when you want to make sure that the explanation you give will be satisfactory, and backed up by any required documentation. That's where Dr. Bruce, some of the other docs here, or a call beforehand to your AME can save a lot of hurt!

Do most AMEs talk about your issues first before doing an exam or do they just do the exam and see what happens?

This will depend on how you ask for the appointment.

If you call and ask for an "off the record" consultation (and are willing to pay the doc a small amount for his time), then the good AME's will meet with you and review your information and answer your questions and concerns.

What you need to be aware of is to not fill out any paperwork until you're 100% sure you can pass. And if you don't ask for the consultation correctly, you run the risk of the doc or the office admin giving you an 8500-8 form and you starting to fill it out. Once the form is started, it must be completed and submitted to the FAA. So if you do have a condition which can cause you to become denied, this could kill your hopes and dreams of flying both the LSA's and the bigger aircraft.

So do ask the AME for a consult....off the record. If everything is good, and he is willing to issue the certificate before you walk out the door, then you can go on the record

Unreg; for you and everyone else reading this thread, if you have any question about the ability to pass the medical, look up Dr. Bruce's contact information at this page (link) and speak to him. He will be very fair and brutally honest. And if you engage his services (pay him his rates), he will do everything he can to see you get your medical certificate, if you're medically qualified.

PS. Don't ever work with a "...see what happens" AME.

Unreg: You will need:
A recent (<6 mos) EKG without any bundle branch block.
A recent (<6 mos) serum creatinine, Serum K+, Fasting glucose and fasting lipid profile.
A letter from your doc written short of 90 days before you go to the AME saying:
"BP well controlled, no side effecs, and no current diagnosis of coronary disease".

Bring all of these and you will be certified (provided you can see/hear, etc).

Bruce

Unreg: You will need:
A recent (<6 mos) EKG without any bundle branch block.
A recent (<6 mos) serum creatinine, Serum K+, Fasting glucose and fasting lipid profile.
A letter from your doc written short of 90 days before you go to the AME saying:
"BP well controlled, no side effecs, and no current diagnosis of coronary disease".

Bring all of these and you will be certified (provided you can see/hear, etc).

Bruce
And listen to what HE says and IGNORE anything I said which appears to contradict it! :yes:

Bruce, is the HT worksheet an item to have for The OP's submission?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back