Ready for Instrument rating!

Rudy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rudy
Ok,
I received my Private a little over a month ago. I have been studying a little for the written instrument and been fling approach after approach on my flight sim. here at home. I am fascinated with it, even on the simulator its a good feeling when you come through those clouds and the runway is right there. I can't wait to feel it for real.

Rudy said:
Ok,
I received my Private a little over a month ago. I have been studying a little for the written instrument and been fling approach after approach on my flight sim. here at home. I am fascinated with it, even on the simulator its a good feeling when you come through those clouds and the runway is right there. I can't wait to feel it for real.

You'll be a good deal better pilot for the IFR training. Enjoy & be careful !

Good for you! I have yet to log much IMC time after getting my rating, but the handful of real approaches I've been able to do afterwards has been great.

A few things to keep in mind. The instrument rating is all about precision. You will hold that altitude and heading. Being off your altitude but 150 feet is unacceptable. :) Second, having the rating is one thing. Keeping current is another! Finally, an Intrument rated pilot out of practice will kill themselves faster than a VFR pilot. :) With those in mind, your instrument rating will be an excellent addition to your flying skills. Get it and keep current!

Did you ever get to try an ILS approach under the hood? I loved it! We did two during my primary training... (CFI said I was boring him on the hood work...:D ). I had a blast! I flew a couple on MSFS 2004 a day or two before we went.

Got my PPL just under a month ago.... wonder how much more time it'll be before we get our real license? (to see what date Oklahoma is currently processing, click here ). Wow, they're still on Feb. 25th! That hasn't changed yet this week... I hope when they update it, it jumps ahead at least a week...

Last edited:
T Bone said:
Did you ever get to try an ILS approach under the hood? I loved it! We did two during my primary training...

ILS's are "relatively" easy as far as instrument approaches go - I find the most challenging approaches are when you get turned in close to the final approach fix by ATC (radar vectors), on a VOR approach, requiring you to use all the "T"s - Time (timed approach), Turn (change heading), Twist (dial in new OBS on the VOR), Throttle (start your descent), Talk(contact tower), all within a very short period of time. This is when I'm most at risk of overload (screwing up) if I'm not "current".

I think the instrument rating is the most challenging, yet rewarding, of all the additional ratings.

Jeff

Agree w/ all of the above. I'm stalled about halfway through my IR and the training has been way more intense than anything in the PPL training - but its also done wonders for my confidence and I really am looking forward to when my schedule allows me to get back to it full tilt.

T Bone said:
Did you ever get to try an ILS approach under the hood? I loved it! We did two during my primary training... (CFI said I was boring him on the hood work...:D ). I had a blast! I flew a couple on MSFS 2004 a day or two before we went.
I haven't done an ILS for real yet, i've done many on MSFS, usually i just take off from PTS and shoot the ILS at KJLN. It's fun, but not as fun as its gonna be for real.

T Bone said:
Got my PPL just under a month ago.... wonder how much more time it'll be before we get our real license? (to see what date Oklahoma is currently processing, click here ). Wow, they're still on Feb. 25th! That hasn't changed yet this week... I hope when they update it, it jumps ahead at least a week...
I know it, i am waiting on it. I already have the place for it in my wallet(right were people might accidently see it)hah

I enjoy the time in the clouds. Be sure to get some 'actual' with your instructor. I found out that I was partly cheating while the hood was on. It took me a few flights in actual before I was really ready.

The training is great. Also make sure you find an instructor that is intentionally tough on you. At least as long as you can take the abuse! :)

AirBaker said:
I enjoy the time in the clouds. Be sure to get some 'actual' with your instructor. I found out that I was partly cheating while the hood was on. It took me a few flights in actual before I was really ready.

The training is great. Also make sure you find an instructor that is intentionally tough on you. At least as long as you can take the abuse! :)

Most of the view limiting devices can be cheated on... but forcing yourself to use the time with your CFII to see what you can do with just the instruments alone will help make you the type of pilot that handles situations IMC when the going gets rough. Instead of being one of the ones that loses it...

Dave Krall CFII said:
Most of the view limiting devices can be cheated on... but forcing yourself to use the time with your CFII to see what you can do with just the instruments alone will help make you the type of pilot that handles situations IMC when the going gets rough. Instead of being one of the ones that loses it...
Yeah i have noticed with the little hoodwork i have done that you can see out of it. I am definitely going to want to get into some actual after i have the fundamentals down.

Dave Krall CFII said:

I wasn't trying to, but I knew when I was in a cloud and when I wasn't. I definitely recommend taking the foggles off and seeing the whole approach. I initially lost it right as I plopped down into the soup. Took a few times to get truly accustomed to the experience.

My other issue was that I was initially ground shy. I'd fly the localizer perfect, but had a hell of a time trusting the glide slope. :)

What fun. I want to go do an ILS now!

Rudy said:
Ok,
I finished my private over 2.5 years ago and have yet to start with a CFII, though I've been studying some off and on since 2002. I keep saying, this is the year, and it never happens... this summer I'm rarin' to get started though. I am really, really sick of being grounded by low, thin stratus decks... of having to choose between leaving NOW or maybe being kept too low for flight following... of worrying about being forced to divert from PHN by low scud blowing in off the Lake.

Maybe we could meet up and safety pilot for each other sometime?

Liz

AirBaker said:
I wasn't trying to, but I knew when I was in a cloud and when I wasn't. I definitely recommend taking the foggles off and seeing the whole approach. I initially lost it right as I plopped down into the soup. Took a few times to get truly accustomed to the experience.

My other issue was that I was initially ground shy. I'd fly the localizer perfect, but had a hell of a time trusting the glide slope. :)

What fun. I want to go do an ILS now!

There's nothing like actual, no doubt !
After you know what you're doing and can fly approaches and unusual attitude recoveries well, do make it a point to go up to 10K for a few hours or so like on your IFR XCountry with your CFII and see how your overall performance does without oxygen.

azure said:
Maybe we could meet up and safety pilot for each other sometime?

Liz
Yeah sure, that sounds good!!

The best thing about the instrument rating is when you've had 3 straight weeks of stratus and haven't seen the sun in all that time. You climb into the gray murk and then it starts to get lighter and lighter and whiter and then you're blinded by the brightest blue sky you've ever seen.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Most of the view limiting devices can be cheated on...
With foggles I find it almost impossible NOT to cheat... it's not that I try to see around them, but it only takes a stray glance here or there to give me enough visual clues from outside to break the IMC effect. One of my requirements for a CFII is that they be willing to take me into actual... like my primary CFI did. You may THINK you're flying by instruments alone, but there's no substitute for actual hard IMC.

Liz

Dave Krall CFII said:
There's nothing like actual, no doubt !
After you know what you're doing and can fly approaches and unusual attitude recoveries well, do make it a point to go up to 10K for a few hours or so like on your IFR XCountry with your CFII and see how your overall performance does without oxygen.

Hmm.. Interesting. I did my long X-country for the IR out of E45. I had to climb up to 9500 for the first leg. Probably was only up there for 30 mins, but I don't remember much of the effect.

I do have 2 O2 bottles, will have to make a mental note to bring them along on possible higher altitude IFR flights. Im sure having the O2 on will keep me more alert.

AirBaker said:
Hmm.. Interesting. I did my long X-country for the IR out of E45. I had to climb up to 9500 for the first leg. Probably was only up there for 30 mins, but I don't remember much of the effect.

I do have 2 O2 bottles, will have to make a mental note to bring them along on possible higher altitude IFR flights. Im sure having the O2 on will keep me more alert.

I did a 3.5 hour XC from Grand Rapids, MI to Olive Branch, MS at 10k. Never seems to be an issue for me while in the plane. Later in the day (a few hours after I land) I am suddenly tired. I just try to keep busy in the plane when at that altitude.

N2212R said:
The best thing about the instrument rating is when you've had 3 straight weeks of stratus and haven't seen the sun in all that time.

I thought that only happened in the LA Basin! :rolleyes: :)

Jeff

azure said:
With foggles I find it almost impossible NOT to cheat... it's not that I try to see around them, but it only takes a stray glance here or there to give me enough visual clues from outside to break the IMC effect. One of my requirements for a CFII is that they be willing to take me into actual... like my primary CFI did. You may THINK you're flying by instruments alone, but there's no substitute for actual hard IMC.

Liz

I agree it is hard not to cheat. Try lessons at night. Not anywhere near as many clues.

Eric

A couple of years ago I was a passenger with a friend at around 10k (I think we were heading east though, so maybe it was 11k, anyway...) and we were talking about VORs and I brought up some hypothetical where I had to take the reciprocal of a radial, say 265, and got it wrong... what I said wasn't just inaccurate, but STUPIDLY wrong, something like 345. So what worries me about flying up there without oxygen is subtle impairment... not so much that I feel any different, but be "off" just enough to make arithmetic and maybe even judgment errors.

ejensen said:
I agree it is hard not to cheat. Try lessons at night. Not anywhere near as many clues.

Eric
Yep, I've noticed that. In fact I'd say that flying head-in-cockpit on a moonless night, without foggles, is better simulated IMC than foggles during the day.

Liz

azure said:
A couple of years ago I was a passenger with a friend at around 10k (I think we were heading east though, so maybe it was 11k, anyway...) and we were talking about VORs and I brought up some hypothetical where I had to take the reciprocal of a radial, say 265, and got it wrong... what I said wasn't just inaccurate, but STUPIDLY wrong, something like 345. So what worries me about flying up there without oxygen is subtle impairment... not so much that I feel any different, but be "off" just enough to make arithmetic and maybe even judgment errors.

I came back from Lake Lawn at 11,500. I wanted to take advantage of those winds. I was getting 150kts GS straight and level. I am sure there is some impairment, but I haven't noticed anything yet. Maybe I should get one of those oxygen test thingies though.

N2212R said:
I came back from Lake Lawn at 11,500. I wanted to take advantage of those winds. I was getting 150kts GS straight and level. I am sure there is some impairment, but I haven't noticed anything yet. Maybe I should get one of those oxygen test thingies though.

I think you'd be surprised at how much impairment there is above 10k. Time up there is definitely a factor as is your general physical condition. If you just want to learn your sensitivity without spending the money on a pulse oxymeter, try timing yourself while adding up ten 5 digit numbers on paper or a couple of 10 digit numbers in your head, checking the result with a calculator after you land. I think most pilots are noticeably impaired at 10-12k but you can get away with poor cognitive ability while just crusing along, at least most of the time.

I've also found that flight at or above 10k is far less fatiguing with O2 as well as less likely to produce a headache.

Rudy said:
Ok,

I applaud your enthusiasm WRT the IR, but be very careful with the solo MSFS practice. It's awfully easy to pick up bad habits that will be difficult to break when you begin training with a CFII. I suggest you find a CFII willing to spend some time with you on MSFS periodically. Money spent on that now will pay back handsomely.

lancefisher said:
...try timing yourself while adding up ten 5 digit numbers on paper or a couple of 10 digit numbers in your head...

I don't add up 10 digit number in my head - ever! I'll forget the 1s and 10s column before I get to the millions column at sea level!

lancefisher said:
I applaud your enthusiasm WRT the IR, but be very careful with the solo MSFS practice. It's awfully easy to pick up bad habits that will be difficult to break when you begin training with a CFII. I suggest you find a CFII willing to spend some time with you on MSFS periodically. Money spent on that now will pay back handsomely.

If you do the instrument pilot lessons with Rod Machado, it's actually pretty good. He kept bitching me out because I was having a hard time holding a 2 degree descent.

I've only had .3 actual time, but I enjoyed the hell out of the whole time. It really taught me that I had been cheating with the foggles.

Surprisingly, even though I had been cheating, I absorbed what I was supposed to. I held me headings ok.

Oh yeah, this was with an instructor.

Rudy said:
Ok,

Rudy;

Start the training and enjoy; Practice timing your VFR flights as well. This helps you when you do your flight planing to see if your estimates come close to the actuall time. It is so nice when all your hard work at flight planing comes true. Most Instrument students work on the approaches which is great but also work on the Cross Country flight and weather planing. Look at flying partial panel with just a turn coordinator, wisky compass and altimeter and your power instruments. You will sweat a lot but it is a great confidence builder.

Enjoy your training and keep learning

John J

Back