Reading WWII Weekend, KRDG

OtisAir

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
OtisAir
Anyone going to the Reading WWII weekend in Reading PA (KRDG)?

We'll be going up on Saturday afternoon most likely and planning on flying in for the day. It'll sure beat ground traffic when it becomes time to head home.

They'll have lots of military type flea markets there as well and I think some aviation related fly-markets too.

better find out when arrivals are allowed in. I know they usually will shut down the airspace for a majority of the afternoon for the airshows.

The Mid-Atlantic Region of the AYA (the Grumman owners group) is planning on flying in. See http://www.maam.org/wwii/pilot_info.htm for fly-in info. Critical data:
The airport will be closed on Friday from 2 PM until 4PM and on Saturday and Sunday from 12:30 PM until 5:30 PM.

PLEASE NOTE!!
Pilots will not be transported back to their aircraft for departure until the airport reopens at 4 PM on Friday, or at 5:30 PM on Saturday and Sunday.

Any pilot wishing to leave early must depart before 2 PM on Friday or 12:30 PM on Saturday and Sunday.
So far, they haven't posted any NOTAMs and there are no published arrival procedures. :yikes: Heads up, boys and girls.

The Mid-Atlantic Region of the AYA (the Grumman owners group) is planning on flying in. See http://www.maam.org/wwii/pilot_info.htm for fly-in info. Critical data:
So far, they haven't posted any NOTAMs and there are no published arrival procedures. :yikes: Heads up, boys and girls.

Hmmm...

I flew in there about 8 years ago -- arrived 11ish, left 330ish...

Tower called base, etc.

Otherwise, no airport closure -- just one taxiway.

Nice parking setup -- unload, jump on the trailer, ride over to the show side.

Has it gotten bigger?

Hmmm...

I flew in there about 8 years ago -- arrived 11ish, left 330ish...

Tower called base, etc.

Otherwise, no airport closure -- just one taxiway.

Nice parking setup -- unload, jump on the trailer, ride over to the show side.

Has it gotten bigger?

Oh yeah. It gets bigger every year.

For those going today, I'd appreciate PIREPS, especially regarding the condition of the grass parking after all the rain we just had.

Thanks,

Lee

Last edited:
We'll be leaving in a lil bit too, just getting in under the wire.

Beth made me go running this morning and I had to fake an illness to not have to run the whole 10000 miles she was wanting too. Now I have to fake limp for a while till I "feel" better. YAY

Just got back a lil bit ago... got a few minutes of logable IMC on the way up and shot the ILS to 36 until they broke us off the approach with a "Circle to the East for a Left Base Runway 31, cleared to land... ". We landed 2 minutes before the field closed and another Piper landed close in trail with less than a minute to spare.

We were parked just outside of Malibooz and shuttled over to the event without much difficulty, but I did hear of a few crews waiting for upwards of an hour to get a ride over.

On departure (coming back home to Wings), tower gave me immediate turnout to the East approved so I did it at 3 feet, YAY, and climbed out on course direct Wings.

Had a fun day and the weather improved as 1 pm approached. Still, there was a lot of mud about, but it was what it was, and we had a good time!

Next weekend is Campbell Fields (9VG) 75th anniversary Fly-In / CAMP - IN that we hope to attend. Pack a tent and sleepin' bag or two and we'll see ya'll saturday afternoon. Bring something to BBQ as there is a grill available down there.

Back