Reading- Instrument Flying and Instrument Procedures

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Which one should I read first? If I read one, will I necessarily need to read the other? I'm reading for IR written self-study. I would like to avoid purchasing commercial products if possible.

If you're talking about the FAA publications -- The "Instrument Flying Handbook" is the FAA's handbook on how to fly IFR, the "Instrument Procedures Handbook" is a more detailed explanation of the finer details of the IFR system. Both are quite good, but if you're new to instrument flying you should definitely start with the Instrument Flying Handbook.

I second what Matt said. The Instrument Flying Handbook is definitely the more basic book for beginners.

The IFH corresponds to the first stages of the IR syllabus -- basic instruments and basic radio nav. The IPH corresponds to the latter stages of holding, departure, arrival, and approach approach procedures.

If I read one, will I necessarily need to read the other? I'm reading for IR written self-study. I would like to avoid purchasing commercial products if possible.

Many of us found ourselves wanting to read more after the first one, whichever that was. Once you get into the topic of instrument flying, it seems to whet your appetite for more.
It is a huge and detailed part of aviation, and you will never know it all. Reading it from various sources really helps to strengthen your knowledge of some of your weaker areas.

Back