Readers: What are your reading?

JasonCT

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JasonCT
Readers: What are you reading?

Just thought I would start a thread for people that enjoy reading to share what they are currently enjoying?

I just finnished Asylum - a book about the contry's first mental hospital located in Worcester, MA. The book is written by a man who did his residency there during what he argues is the peak of the hospitals fame c. 1938-1950. (a really interesting read)

So how about you?

Last edited:
A Fighter's Heart by Sam Sheridan - About the author's journey through mixed martial arts fighting and various schools. Interesting enough in the beginning, but half way through it's getting a bit tedious. It's of no interest to anyone not interested in MMA fighting.

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer - I'm starting it tonight.

Re: Readers: What are you reading?

SNOW in the KINGDOM(My Storm Years on Everest) by Ed Webster. Ed is a noted climber, was the first American mountaineer to climb in Mongolia, and pioneered a new route to the summit of Everest. 580 pages of adventure and astonishing photography.

I'm reading a personally autographed copy given to me by Ed, he and Lisa having been long-time customers at my camera store.

HR

If you're a climber this book is a must read.

Attachments

• Ed Webster_1.jpg
    Ed Webster_1.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Ed Webster_2.jpg
    Ed Webster_2.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Oracle 11g - New Features ... and POA ... man, I gotta get a life ...

I just finnished Asylum - a book about the contry's first mental hospital located in Worcester, MA. The book is written by a man who did his residency there during what he argues is the peak of the hospitals fame c. 1938-1950. (a really interesting read)

My daughter goes to college in Worcester. We occasionally stay at the Beachwood hotel, which is a block or so away from the mental hospital, which is now abandoned and fenced in. It sure looks like a creepy "Steven King"-type of place.:eek: I'll have to get the book. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm beginning the home automation and security install. I'll be adding stuff continuously for years. BTW, if anybody wants advice let me know.

The irony is I used to be a contractor for this stuff. I just finished the move of all of my tools and supplies. I just need to dig through it all to get the use out of it.

I wanted to get information on the current products and installation techniques. It turns out I should write the books. I know more than the authors on some issues. :dunno: The first book has about a dozen pages of thick text on how X10 works and the rest is a bunch of wiring diagrams. There are still enough good ideas that it's worthwhile. The hacks book is not here yet.

I still dread having to fish the exterior walls, but owell, I will. It's nice when you don't have to answer to anybody about the walls needing patching.

I still plan to erect a 40 foot tower for a TV antenna. :hairraise:

I also have "Secrets from the Tower on the way.

and

ADD? What? Look! A bird! :D

For Veterans Day, I'm rereading the Brotherhood of War series by W.E.B. Griffin - should be done tomorrow.

Just finished the new Robert B. Parker Spenser novel (very good), several Meltzer novels (ok for long travel days), and Terry Pratchett's "Making Money" (pretty good). New James Patterson should arrive today.

A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe - about a bankrupt real estate developer and a bank's workout department (what else???:D)

A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe - about a bankrupt real estate developer and a bank's workout department (what else???:D)

You might like this one:
How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else
by Michael Gates Gill

The son of New Yorker writer Brendan Gill grew up meeting the likes of Ezra Pound and Ernest Hemingway. A Yale education led to a job at prestigious J. Walter Thompson Advertising. But at 63, the younger Gill's sweet life has gone sour. Long fired from JWT, his own business is collapsing and an ill-advised affair has resulted in a new son and a divorce. At this low point, and in need of health insurance for a just diagnosed brain tumor, Gill fills out an application for Starbucks and is assigned to the store on 93rd and Broadway in New York City, staffed primarily by African-Americans. Working as a barista, Gill, who is white, gets an education in race relations and the life of a working class Joe .

http://www.amazon.com/How-Starbucks...0375038?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194979873&sr=1-1
I heard the author on Extension 720 (mp3 link) It was a pretty facinating story to me. The surprise is how he learned to really admire the Starbucks culture.

Haven't read the book but have read several newspaper articles/reviews on it.

An interesting take on "life on the other side"!

I just finished The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan. It's a true story about a Palestinian man, Bashir, and an Israeli woman, Dalia, who become friends even though they are on opposite sides of a political struggle. It happens that they have both grown up in the same house with a lemon tree in the back yard. Bashir was forced to leave as a child during the 1948 conflict while Dalia and her family occupy the house after they immigrate from Bulgaria not long afterwards. I think the author has done a good job of staying neutral while portraying the rights and wrong of both sides. I learned a lot about the history of this region which I wasn't aware of before although I've always thought that there were no easy answers.

Does the Jep Flight Instructor Manual count? For some reason, it's never shown up on the NYT non-fiction list!

North Star Over My Shoulder by Bob Buck. I'd like to take up a DC-2 sometime - it would be a step up in technology and ergonomics from some of the rental a/c I take up. :goofy:

I'll have to check out the ORD ATC book also - it looks like it would be a good read

Billy

The Cross-Time Engineer by Leo Frankowski -- I'm currently on book 3 of the series.

Also 4 nights a week I'm in the dark with a flashlight reading a play called Jimmy Shine that I'm backstage crew chief for at the local community college. It gets a bit repetitive after about the 20th time through which happened about 2 weeks ago... :drama:

Today's light reading was the instructions on how to replace the water valve on my pooper. (Step 1, Remove the 2 hold down nuts that are located in near totally inaccessable locations. Step 2: Remove pooper from RV and quickly stuff a big plastic bag into the black tank stinky hole as a temporary plug. :vomit: It didn't get much more fun after that)

Last edited:
I'm almost through reading Jeppsen's Guided Flight Discovery, Instrument/Commercial for the second time.

My daughter goes to college in Worcester. We occasionally stay at the Beachwood hotel, which is a block or so away from the mental hospital, which is now abandoned and fenced in. It sure looks like a creepy "Steven King"-type of place.:eek: I'll have to get the book. Thanks for the suggestion!

Clark?

You'll like it, easy read even with all the pscho-babble.

Clark had an interesting relationship with the Asylum.

Enjoy.

The Kite Runner. Interesting insight into Afghan culture.

Just finished Greenspan's book. Reads a little like fedspeak, but interesting, especially the chapter on oil markets.

I tell people I'm currently reading through "Texas" and the Bible. That's only a half truth, seeing as I haven't picked either up in about 3 months.

I am reading my student pilot's manual, though. :)

Favorite books are the Douglas Adams Hitchhiker series and "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." Light books for sure, but a lot of fun.

Just finnished another great book!

The Center Cannot Hold, My Journey Through Madness
By Elyn Saks

This is a great book about the personal reflections of a woman living with mental illness.
But she is also an Oxford Scholar, Yale Grad, an Attorney and educator. I real eye opener and interesting read.

We learn about Elyn's first psychotic episodes while she is a high school student and then follow her journey through her diagnoses of Schizophrenia (sp?), to an accomplished professional woman.

Back