Read Back Threshold Altered

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
I landed today after about a 45 minute direct origin to destination flight today and closed my flight plan while still taxiing. When I called my wife after getting out of the plane, she told me that FSS had called the house 20 minutes ago looking for me, that I was overdue. I called FSS back to clarify what mistake I might have made and they were very apologetic. It seems that they had written down the take off time wrong! I call on the cell phone and open the flight plan immediately before take off - the FSS contact said something like "open as of now". My wife had 20 minutes of needless worry. At least, the system worked - they were looking for me. In the future, I will make sure that I hear a spoken time from FSS for opening the flight plan.

They did the same to my wife in.... about '93. She was planning my funeral (and probably selling all my stuff in her mind) and not to mention a feeling a little sick as she tried out the descriptive 'widow' with my last name.

Opening a flight plan before takeoff can cause this because while FSS will put down a past time as your takeoff (i.e., calling after getting airborne) they do not open flight plans with a future time. If you're going to do this, allow extra time in your ETE to allow for any delays from calling to wheels up.

Back