"Reaching Out"

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
This new fad of people saying that they "reached out" to someone when they contacted or attempted to contact them gives me the creeps. It sounds so touchy-feely. :goofy:

Were they Touched by His Noodly Appendage and just passing along the love? ;)

I don't think that's new. I have heard that saying for as long as I can remember.

I think these terms make people feel more "sophisticated" when they use them.

You reach out to someone who's drowning.

Or not if you don't like them. :devil:

I don't think that's new. I have heard that saying for as long as I can remember.

Not only that, but "reach out and touch someone" was an AT&T marketing slogan many years ago. Of course, that was likely before the culture became sexualized to the point where just about anything could be a creepy double entendre.

"Reach out," "touch base," "connect" (or reconnect), etc. are all still commonly used in the business world. I do find myself considering how using such terms or phrases may be interpreted by the receiver, even though I'd prefer to think that most adults are mature enough to understand the proper intent.

JKG

Not only that, but "reach out and touch someone" was an AT&T marketing slogan many years ago...

True, but other than those ads, I don't think it was a common expression in those days. And I've been noticing it MUCH more often in the last year or two.

This new fad of people saying that they "reached out" to someone when they contacted or attempted to contact them gives me the creeps. It sounds so touchy-feely. :goofy:

As long as they use the Unix finger command first, I don't see problem.

To 'reach out' implies the other person is in some kind of trouble.

...touching me, touching you?

Neil Diamond?

The one that peeves me is when somebody "successfully completes" some activity. Ummm, if it wasn't "successful" then it wouldn't be complete. The self-promotion trainers should be successfully retrained completely to drop the "successful" crap.

Neil Diamond?
Sweet Caroline... Popular when I was a little kid so that dates it, and him!

The one that peeves me is when somebody "successfully completes" some activity. Ummm, if it wasn't "successful" then it wouldn't be complete. The self-promotion trainers should be successfully retrained completely to drop the "successful" crap.
For me it's how "department" somehow turned into "team". We aren't football players here!

For me it's how "department" somehow turned into "team". We aren't football players here!

The people who work in stores aren't called employees anymore, they're "team members." And the people who shop at my local supermarket aren't customers, they're "guests." If I'm a guest, where's my room? :rolleyes:

Pretty sure thus guy would be required to register as as sex offender in this day and age.

att-reach-out-touch-someone.jpg

The people who work in stores aren't called employees anymore, they're "team members." And the people who shop at my local supermarket aren't customers, they're "guests." If I'm a guest, where's my room? :rolleyes:

And it's not very hospitable making your guests pay for stuff!

My wife says this all the time and I make it a point to ask her who is touching her as well....I believe its a softer way if saying you are going to "attempt" to contact someone, but it's ambiguous so you get credit for trying without and real obligation to complete the contact.

It's wishy washy speak that leaves an out. Saying you are going to contact them is definitive and results are anticipated. In my professional setting, if someone says they will reach out, I ask them to ensure you make contact. It puts the responsibility back on their plate.

I hate that phrase ... among many so beat to death corporate buzzwords.

I do like "reach out and touch someone" when applied to a .338 Lapua or .50 Barrett ... :)

People reach out so they can feel validated. It gives them closure.

We use "tie off" with someone all the time. It makes me think of the sudden need to stop peeing every time I hear it.

Wait until it gets into the ATC vocabulary!

"Cesnna 123AB...Reach out to El Paso approach on 124.25. Have a blessed day".

:D

"Circle back around"... I figure there must be people walking laps around our building.

True, but other than those ads, I don't think it was a common expression in those days. And I've been noticing it MUCH more often in the last year or two.

From my recollection, it's been a rather common expression in the business world for at least the past 15 years. The AT&T ads predate that time by quite a bit, so I suspect that it's been in common use for decades. Considering the context in which it is typically used, I don't consider it to be illogical nor especially creepy.

JKG

The AT&T ads predate that time by quite a bit, so I suspect that it's been in common use for decades.

When those ads were common, the phrase was seldom heard other than in the ads.

The people who work in stores aren't called employees anymore, they're "team members."
"Team members"? I thought they were "Associates"? :dunno: They sell "solutions". With "functionalities". That are "scaleable". Used for "thinking outside the box". And to improve your "delta" (whatever that is). I hafta quit, I'm making myself nauseous. :(

dtuuri

Just more idiotic B-school buzzword crap that makes insecure putzes feel like they're on the "inside."

Not only that, but "reach out and touch someone" was an AT&T marketing slogan many years ago. Of course, that was likely before the culture became sexualized to the point where just about anything could be a creepy double entendre.

Oh, that was an AT&T slogan? During my twelve years at Catholic school, I just always thought it was the priests' mantra.

I do like "reach out and touch someone" when applied to a .338 Lapua or .50 Barrett ... :)

I don't like touching people.
If somebody breaks into my house in the middle of the night, I will gladly use my hand-loaded 230-grain .45 rounds to "reach out and touch his heart".

I remember years ago when people started talking about "interacting". The vernacular changes all the time, always has. Bitching about it just points up how old and out of touch you are.

I remember years ago when people started talking about "interacting". The vernacular changes all the time, always has. Bitching about it just points up how old and out of touch you are.

That's me, proud of it! :D

Please "Reach out" to "myself" "ASAP" to "Synch-up" on your "Blockers" from the (project xyz) "Stand-up". I'll be "OOO" most of the day but will "WFH" this evening.

"-DB"

Now then: if it was in quotes it bugs the living heck out of me!

The last one is the worst. Why do they write "minus Douche Bag"? Can't they write Douche Bag, or just DB. Would I think it came from a Database? Or am I incapable of reading the From: line of the email? I am, after all, a pilot so I'm fairly capable of reading, writing, and speaking English. Not to mention understanding, clarifying, and following instructions.

Argh!

"Rant ended"

"-DB"

Back