Re-using drained oil and filter- log book question

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
So the guy next to me and my annual are due at the same time. I just had my oil changed on hours and he has only flown a couple hours the past year. The shop insists on an oil change as part of the annual.

I suggested we drain my oil and set it aside. They drain his oil and pour it into mine. He takes my oil. I also swiped his oil filter. It was a little bit shorter, but spun on fine. He didn't want mine because he already has a case of them on stand by.

I thought this was ironic since he really doesn't fly. Usually, he pulls it out to bask in the sun on a Saturday then pushes it back in when the clouds pass over.

So can I logged the hours he flew on that oil in my logbook or is is best to actually fly those hours? I'm working on my SVFR endorsement (Senior Visual Flight Rules) and could use the time for sure.

So the guy next to me and my annual are due at the same time. I just had my oil changed on hours and he has only flown a couple hours the past year. The shop insists on an oil change as part of the annual.

I suggested we drain my oil and set it aside. They drain his oil and pour it into mine. He takes my oil. I also swiped his oil filter. It was a little bit shorter, but spun on fine. He didn't want mine because he already has a case of them on stand by.

I thought this was ironic since he really doesn't fly. Usually, he pulls it out to bask in the sun on a Saturday then pushes it back in when the clouds pass over.

So can I logged the hours he flew on that oil in my logbook or is is best to actually fly those hours? I'm working on my SVFR endorsement (Senior Visual Flight Rules) and could use the time for sure.
I think you can log it as long as it is Phillips X/C... and you can log it as cross-country flying. But that Aeroshell stuff... you have to actually fly it to log the hours.

Of course you can. Actually you can double log them, because (1) it was your oil, and (2) he flew on your oil so log that too. Not only that, but you can log all the hours he had on that oil filter you swiped.

Technically it sounds fine, but you will need to account for the loss of oil that did not drain, was left in the sidewalls of the drain hose, and was left in the bucket. Naturally you used a new bucket for this transfer to avoid contamination.

Does your neighbor also fly a Lance? Otherwise you'll need to deduct for the ratio of max rpm in his plane to yours. If your max rpm is lower you gain here, so that's good!

I think 80% conversion is typical in this process.

If you're working on your SVFR, I think you have gained the right to tell the MX guys to go jump off a bridge. If you're that far along, changing oil won't save you.....

You can pour pizz in your engine as long as you log it properly.

If you're working on your SVFR, I think you have gained the right to tell the MX guys to go jump off a bridge. If you're that far along, changing oil won't save you.....
But a new AOA from Maui Wowie in the panel will, even if he forgets to tighten and safety the used filter. Always fly the blue donut as far into the crash as possible.

But a new AOA from Maui Wowie in the panel will, even if he forgets to tighten and safety the used filter. Always fly the blue donut as far into the crash as possible.
I thought about trying to work out a smart *ss AOA comment - I decided to see how long it would take. :D

Well played.

I wouldn't even put my buddy's racecar oil into my racecar if it simply got poured right through his block and out the drain without ever being run. Just not worth it to save a few bucks.

I wouldn't even put my buddy's racecar oil into my racecar if it simply got poured right through his block and out the drain without ever being run. Just not worth it to save a few bucks.

What's that have to do with logging it? :confused:

Seems like a lot of complexity and extra work to be able to fly on your buddy's oil and filter. Next time just steal his plane.

If he placed in the race, I'd def. run that oil. After all, it's race proven, therefore good enough for me!

I wouldn't use it in my lawn mower. my wife may fall off of it in the front yard

Which log, pilot logbook or engine logbook.
If he placed in the race, I'd def. run that oil. After all, it's race proven, therefore good enough for me!

The engine running right on the edge of destruction produces the most power. They run their best the instant before they blow up, LOL!

....but you will have to preflight both his and your plane completely

you can only log it if its from a cirrus and you pull the red handle...............................

bob

Read it 3 times and damn I need some Ibuprofen.

As long as you use an electronic logbook, you can log log it any way you want. When the Feds examine it afterwards and question the entries, you have an airtight case of plausible denial...the Rooskies hacked it.

Noah W

Back