Re: quarantine/lockdown: Do you have a housekeeper?

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
My housekeeper comes for half a day every other week. I have asked her not to come for the past two trips and paid her half her regular rate, and felt bad about it. But she thanked me and said most of her customers aren't paying her anything during the quarantine.

Do you have a housekeeper and are you allowing him/her to come now? Are you paying him/her?

Same here. We both work, so we have a crew that comes every other week. Since we are more at home, we just clean ourselves. I would like for the ladies who do the work to get something, but I know that the crew-leader would just keep whatever we give him for himself.

We used to, but she stopped coming close to six months ago for other reasons. My sister still has her housekeeper coming, but it’s one of their close family friends.

My housekeeper comes for half a day every other week. I have asked her not to come for the past two trips and paid her half her regular rate, and felt bad about it. But she thanked me and said most of her customers aren't paying her anything during the quarantine.

Send her my way. I'll pay her to clean the belly of my plane.

We do not have a housekeeper. Actually we'd been talking about hiring one, but given the current situation we'll be waiting until after it's over.

However, our general outlook has been to try to minimize financial pain for the people who we pay as long as we are both employed and getting paid, so if we had a housekeeper, we would still pay her something.

Tae kwon do, we are still paying even though we're not going. To the credit of the instructor, she is offering and doing lessons via Skype/Zoom/something or another. However we've been keeping active (and keeping the kids active) quite well just by going outside on our property, and we're still trying to figure out this new routine as it is. Maybe in another week or two we'll try to do that.

We do not have a housekeeper. Actually we'd been talking about hiring one, but given the current situation we'll be waiting until after it's over.

However, our general outlook has been to try to minimize financial pain for the people who we pay as long as we are both employed and getting paid, so if we had a housekeeper, we would still pay her something.

Tae kwon do, we are still paying even though we're not going. To the credit of the instructor, she is offering and doing lessons via Skype/Zoom/something or another. However we've been keeping active (and keeping the kids active) quite well just by going outside on our property, and we're still trying to figure out this new routine as it is. Maybe in another week or two we'll try to do that.
My daughter is doing that with her CrossFit place...he was struggling financially before, so she told him to keep charging her membership because she wants the place there when they’re allowed back out.

Like your Tae kwon do, the yoga studio my wife and I go to is doing online classes. Not the same as live, but better than nothing.

We told our housekeeper not to come but we are continuing to pay her. She's been coming to our house for years and relies on the income so I couldn't not help her out. She's got it a lot worse than me.

No housekeeping here, but we tipped the housekeeping staff handsomely for dealing with us hotel trapped people in MN before we got out of there.

We both knew they were at significant risk, considering it was hospitality staff who took the brunt of it in CO ski country two weeks earlier, as well as they were about to lose most of their guests, with Mayo closing significantly down over the next two months.

Same thing with delivery drivers and folks hanging it out there for those of us who shouldn’t be out. They deserve extra bucks for it. Not less.

I thought it was bad enough that Uber is a bad deal for the drivers long term when vehicle depreciation is factored in... but now it’s just stupid.

Yes we have a house keeper, just mailed her a check, she is not cleaning because she cares for her elderly mother and most of her customers are cancelling. Will continue to pay through this crisis. I'm mildly concerned throughout this event about getting sick. People like house keepers, wait staff and many others are being devastated by having no income due to the no work orders. Keep this in mind and help where you can.

We have a weekly housekeeping service that we've been using for at least 12 years, and we are continuing to pay 100% even though we excused them from working. They've been good to us with no cost increases since we added an addition 8 years ago, so I'm happy to return the favor, especially considering we are both gainfully employed. Since we are both working, we have kept our nanny but have implemented strict protocols for her and our 5 year old to reduce the risk as best as possible.

Looks like we are the only ones who are still having our cleaners come. We clear off into the covered porch while they are here.

We have a housekeeper, a team of two. However, we cancelled on 3/30 and most likely will again on 4/13. Mary thought we should pay them but me being me said we gave them plenty of notice and no service rendered equals no pay. :rolleyes: I got the eye roll, then my bride proceeded to tell me the back story on our cleaners. Of course now I feel bad so we will most likely pay for the 13th despite them not coming and us doing the cleaning. My bride, the one with the big heart says it's the right thing to do. We are in a better place and should make sure we help others. Of course she is right again.

I did all the vacuum work today while my bride dusted. We are off to change the sheets and then flip for the bathroom clean, maybe rock paper scissors, maybe some sort of skills event...... ;)

TIL: Everybody here is either a lot richer or a lot lazier than we are.

LOL!

All I got are robot virus collectors, er... vacuums.

:)

All you wealthy pilots and your servants. Sheesh. ;)

Continuing to pay, but she’s staying home. We both have demanding jobs and long commutes, and side businesses (and we like our weekends). Essential employee!

Unemployment has our backs and the SBA is (supposedly) going to help out with the business. We're glad to take care of someone we practically consider a part of the family.

Last edited:
We don't have a housekeeper... but I've been thinking about hiring one. Maybe after we get back to normal.

Once every two weeks and one of the best investments IMO!

Been keeping her going even though no longer an "essential business"...especially after the colossal messes I make in the kitchen with more cooking! Cash flow is not a problem (yet) and know she has lost bunch of work.

I usually head out to the store and not home anyway when she is working and she it proactively taking extra precautions to not cross contaminate from other homes and additional PPE measures.

Last edited:
At my house, I'M the housekeeper...okay, I do what SWMBO tells me to do. :(

Now that we're both home more than usual, I'm ready to go back to work.

At my house, I'M the housekeeper...okay, I do what SWMBO tells me to do. :(

Now that we're both home more than usual, I'm ready to go back to work.

Mine made sure to show me where the new pack of dishwasher soap was. LOL.

My housekeeper still comes (she was here today). They wear masks and gloves and disinfect a lot more.

We told our housekeeper not to come but we are continuing to pay her. She's been coming to our house for years and relies on the income so I couldn't not help her out. She's got it a lot worse than me.

You sir are the kind that these people that work for us and are less fortunate need, thank you,

I am paying those that work for me as long as I am able and even then will find a away to pay them they depend on us and are like family, they have been with us so long and so dependable, we have to give back to those that do these jobs, in these tough times.

Do you have a housekeeper and are you allowing him/her to come now? Are you paying him/her?

We did your plan. Asked them not to come, but still paying them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since house keepers only clean 1/2 as good a I would, I’d pay 1/4.

Spring cleaning under way at my shack during the shut down.

We do. We’ve had her for 12 years now. She and her crew used to come once a week. We stopped that in mid March but are still paying her full rate. We can afford it, we’re both still getting paid, she and her crew are not, and it’s the right thing, for us, to do. Plus we want her back when this is all over.

Last edited:
OK, now I'm curious. I always figured that it was way too expensive to have such luxuries as a housekeeper... And maybe that's because my wife's aunt is a "high end" (?) housekeeper of the once-every-year-or-so variety that cleans every nook and cranny and surface and crack and... you get the idea, at a price I understand to be well into the four-figure territory per visit.

But here, I'm seeing people mentioning an every-other-week schedule. What are you all paying, and what do they do for that money?

OK, now I'm curious. I always figured that it was way too expensive to have such luxuries as a housekeeper... And maybe that's because my wife's aunt is a "high end" (?) housekeeper of the once-every-year-or-so variety that cleans every nook and cranny and surface and crack and... you get the idea, at a price I understand to be well into the four-figure territory per visit.

But here, I'm seeing people mentioning an every-other-week schedule. What are you all paying, and what do they do for that money?

Mine is a independant gal but she comes with a crew of 2-3 for about an hour plus...floors vac and mopped, kitchen, baths, toilets, makes the bed, tables wiped down, vac out the dog beds, empties house garbage cans/recycling, dust, clean stovetop, will do a few dishes if in sink...pretty much everything but fridge and windows cleaned. $120 every 2 weeks. I think my last cleaning lady at my last house who was solo was $60 for about two hours every two weeks. Most will do whatever frequency you want but every 2 weeks seems to be the sweet spot for many and going rates really vary per region.

Not the Brady Bunch do you laundry and cook dinner kinda maid nor the deep clean into every nook and cranny every time like you mentioned but they do a heck of lot better job than I would dedicate every week.

The ironic part is that it also helps me keep the house cleaner and more organized as I have to prior to their arrival clean up and put away laundry, shoes, dishes...the general mess that is always out an and about more regularly.

Been worth EVERY penny IMO and not really that big of a "luxury". Some people are clean freaks or not that big of a deal to do those chores regularly, other like me thoroughly enjoy opening the door once they are done and having a completely clean house. Should finances become a concern I have quite a few other things that would go before the cleaning service!

Last edited:
^^^
I could have written just about the same thing. I pay $120 for a very hard working Hispanic lady (US Citizen) for about 4 hours. She does a very thorough job on the floors, kitchen and bathrooms Periodically, she washes the insides of the windows and the refrigerator. Like Shawn, Leslie and I tend to straighten the place up before she gets here. I generally have a messy desk, but I straighten it up and she dusts and polishes it. She doesn't do laundry, but if I leave clothes in the washer, she will move them to the dryer, and she puts all of her cleaning rags in the washer. While she is here, Leslie and I have our bi-weekly daytime date. We go to breakfast, the library, the gym and then to lunch. (this was all before CV). When we come home it is a pleasure to have the place look and smell clean. I rarely have to worry about unexpected guests and we don't have to argue about who's turn it is to clean the bathroom. We are both happy with this "luxury". As I said, this woman is very hard working. I have had housekeepers in the past that I could have sworn the cell phone was a growth on her left hand. This one puts the plugs her cell into my charger on the counter when she comes in and picks it up when she leaves.

Ours are still coming every two weeks and cleaning. We stay out of their way, which also gives the 6' distancing (quite a bit more).

Back