re-entering aviation, what plane?

Thanks for all the replies everyone... and you've all hit on the right point here. When I signed up for training, I signed up for and paid for all at the same time to including the commercial, CFI, CFII and MEI. I was instructed to go ahead and get a second class medical for the exact reason mentioned. It made no sense to go through all of that flight training only to find out I couldn't get the medical in the end.

It was a small investment in the beginning to ensure tha I would be able to exercise commercial privelages once I got the ticket. Of course, that part never happened.

The airmen file request is what went in the mail last week, hopefully that will give me a good starting point. Since I'm in Oklahoma I hope to get the response quickly, considering my records are here.

As I've said before, I'm not trying to "scam" the system or anything. I want to be accurate. If I wanted to scam the system, I wouldn't have posted here among my peers... ya know?

The annual review/refresher course is under way now and the CFI I'm working with has said the same thing. "get your airmen record and we'll refresh whatever you need/want to once we're done with the initial flight review" - so it looks like I'm in good hands, let's hope a copy of my records get here soon.

Last edited:
Re: re-entering aviation - can you offer advice?

Hi all, I usually try very hard not to make a first post to a forum a quesion, so let me apologize first... this is a question.

... I look forward to the replies!

Victor
Welcome to PoA. Thanks for your interesting question. First, let me apologize for a particularly harsh greeting you have encountered here. This group of pilots are, for the most part, congenial and friendly. We consider this the front-porch of aviation and greet newcomers warmly. Please don't be put off by an individual cross-examining your query.

As for your question, my use of my airplane is similar to the ones you have anticipated and perhaps one or two more.

1. Hubby and I use our plane for training and $100 hamburgers nearly every week = 2 passengers, almost no baggage.
  2. We travel to visit family for quick visits = 2 passengers, moderate baggage.
  3. We take family for rides during the visit = 4 passengers, almost no baggage.
  4. We take grandchildren along for vacations = 4 passengers, a ton of baggage
We find the C-172 adequate for #1 and #3, but we need a plane with greater load and range/speed for #2 and greater load for #4. We would prefer to be able to carry 4 adults and 2 grandchildren. I bring this up because you should anticipate that one or more of those teenagers will shortly move several states away and start providing you with grandchildren you want to spend time with.

As far as whether you should start with higher capacity/performance first, I'll leave that to others with more experience than me.

WELCOME!!

Re: re-entering aviation - can you offer advice?

Thank you for the warm welcome, Aunt Peggie and everyone else!

There's no apology necessary, there are always those that form opinions without understanding the question, or reviewing all the data.... before damning an indiviual. thats okay.

There are a TON of people on here that have helped immensley with both of my questions and I truly appreciate everyone that has taken the time to help me out. I hope that, someday, I can give as much help as I have received on my very first post.

okay, I have one other question. After posting last night, I went through all my aviation goodies to find that my log book has gone missing.. I remember have 492.2 hours total at my last entry, but the log book has gone completley missing.

I've moved to three different states and numerous houses since the last time I actually made an entry in the book, so who knows where it's gone.

How in the world do I go about substantiating my hours without the book? Obviously my license shows PP/ME/IR - so if I had to I could go back to the minimum hours for those three licenses - but I KNOW i have more hours than that. - yes, I know I should have taken better care of the book and kept it close to me at all times, but life got in the way I guess you could say.

I have ordered a new book and it's on its' way. I also have a call into the company that I'm going to re-up all my certs with, hopefully they will be able to supply some answers too.

Any thoughts? I'm sure I'm not the first guys thats had the misforture of a lost a log book. I'm also pretty sure that I'm not the first guy that had to put aviation on the back-burner for family.

You buy a new log book and start the first entry with "492.2" hrs and sign the bottom where you attest this information is true, you're now done with that. Get a fresh FR and IPC and you're good to go. If there are any other endorsements you need resigned, do those while you get your FR. The FAA will have records of your times from last license and medical applications as well.

I would agree with your premise, however the time frame the O.P. alludes to would cause my conclusions to be affirmed.

Kent G

Note to all:

please-do-not-feed-the-troll.jpg

Back