astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
From today's AIN Alerts, a service of http://www.ainonline.com:

[quote="AIN Alerts]
Beech Duke’s ‘Air’ Apparent
Rocket Engineering of Spokane, Wash.–the company involved in the Piper Malibu JetProp DLX Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A conversion–is at it again. This time Rocket has been quietly working for the past two years on a P&WC PT6A-35-powered Beechcraft Duke BE60 conversion. The company said initial tests have shown that the re-engined six-seat light twin, dubbed the Royal Turbine, is much improved over the original Lycoming TIO-541-powered Duke. Rocket said the piston engines are the “Achilles’ heel” of the Duke, which was introduced in 1967. Preliminary performance of the Royal Turbine includes a 301-knot maximum cruise speed, versus 246 knots for a stock Duke; 4,000-fpm climb rate compared with 1,601 fpm; 7,000-pound mtow versus 6,775 pounds; 2,520-pound useful load compared with 1,849 pounds; and a 1,200-nm max range versus 640 nm. According to Rocket Engineering, the conversion costs $887,000 and pre-owned Dukes are currently selling for about $150,000. Initial flight tests of a Royal Turbine are currently under way, with STC approval expected later this summer.
[/quote]

Cheers,

-Andrew

The Duke has always been a sexy looking plane. Turbines may breathe new life into a few. From what I've heard about the Duke's engines, maintaining a turbine won't be all that much more expensive...

Joe Williams said:
The Duke has always been a sexy looking plane. Turbines may breathe new life into a few. From what I've heard about the Duke's engines, maintaining a turbine won't be all that much more expensive...
One of the best looking small cabin class twins IMHO. If they'll just re-engineer the pressurization system while they're at it.....

a million bucks... I wonder what a kingair with new engines is going for?

Back