Rc B-52

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
got this in my email today - it may have been posted on the AOPA board a while ago, but I can't recall for sure.
---------------------------------
RC Model B-52

Click the link below for the movie of this planes flight.
The size of this model B-52 is truly amazing. This is a labor of love.
Actually has 8 "real turbines" at about $1500 each! It took over
2 years to build. Takes multiple pilots as there are so many things
to do. Think they are nervous during the maiden flight?
Video runs about 8 minutes

http://www.mcgirt.net/RC/VIDEOS/Giant_B52/B52_flight2.wmv

FYI, this a 30Mb file. If you're bandwidth deprived or on a corporate network that discourages large downloads, you might want to wait before downloading. :D

Thanks for the heads-up, Brian. I didn't check out the link target before posting - figured I would check it out from home tonight.

Actually has 8 "real turbines" at about $1500 each! It took over
2 years to build.

Had would be more accurate. And it only took one (failed) flight to wreck. Unless this is a new one, I saw this video a year ago. A freind of mine saw another video where it crashed and was destroyed.... very, very cool plane though! (without looking, I'm guessing in this one, one side-right I think- of the gear didn't fully retract). That the one?

T Bone said:
Had would be more accurate. And it only took one (failed) flight to wreck. Unless this is a new one, I saw this video a year ago. A freind of mine saw another video where it crashed and was destroyed.... very, very cool plane though! (without looking, I'm guessing in this one, one side-right I think- of the gear didn't fully retract). That the one?
Yep, HAD ... if you go to the URL in the above post (edit - here - http://www.mcgirt.net/RC/VIDEOS/Giant_B52/ ), there are links to shorter videos of taxi, takeoff and crash (with resulting smoke plume) ... pretty sure HAD is the end result of that one...

T Bone said:
Had would be more accurate. And it only took one (failed) flight to wreck.
Yeah, but before it crashed it sure scared the bejesus out of all those remote controlled Republican Guard soldiers!

Back