Razor scooter at OSH.

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
So, I am debating bringing a "razor-like" scooter to OSH. (Has 3 wheels instead of two).

I'm thinking it could help for those long walks from vintage to the forums or the North 40.

I know they don't officially allow it at the "show" per se, but can I use it to get around outside of the main "booth" type areas?

Will I get yelled at for walking it inside the show, or will I likely be OK as long as I'm not running people down or otherwise being obnoxious with it?

I'm debating whether it's worth it to bring or not.

Straight from their website of prohibited items:

Bicycles, roller skates, roller blades, skateboards, “Razor” style boards, Segway personal transports, or any other self-propelled device (except that the following are allowed: a. One person electric/handicapped convenience vehicles; and b. Other Personal Disability Mobility Devices, such as Segways, when required because of the individual’s mobility disability and when operated in a safe manner, consistent with 28 C.F.R. 36.311(b)(1).).

Ok, but I've heard lots of people in here discussing using bikes there.... Where can you use stuff like that and where cant you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, but I've heard lots of people in here discussing using bikes there.... Where can you use stuff like that and where cant you?

You can use bikes...

In the camping areas, anywhere outside the show gates.

How else are you going to get from the North 40 to the Fly-In Theater? It's a pretty horrible trek on foot otherwise. I've done it.

Ok, I guess I just need to look at a map and determine where the "show gates" are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking at the map, it seems just about everywhere is within the "show gates" so a bike/scooter would not be very useful, unless you're in the far north 40...?

If you find the two bike compounds (there's one at the gate between the North 40 and the warbirds/HBC area and one at Scholler across from Theatre In The Woods) you get an idea as to where bikes must stop.

Yes, the entire show is personal conveyance free other than powered wheelchairs/scooters.

The trams (during daylight) and school buses in the evening run the through the core of the show. School buses run from the North 40 show admission gates around through that to the Terminal continuously.

Note, that even though you can get from the North 40 down to the Museum or Scholler via the frontage road on I-41 (and various other paths), getting out of the North 40 itself isn't exactly convenient either.

Expect to hoof it or take the provided "public" transportation.

Hmmm. Ok, I'm thinking I'll just leave it at home then....

You can use bikes...

In the camping areas, anywhere outside the show gates.

How else are you going to get from the North 40 to the Fly-In Theater? It's a pretty horrible trek on foot otherwise. I've done it.

Hitch a ride on cart, car, or truck is what I always do. I rarely walk far at OSH.

Not sure, but doubtful, depends if I can hitch a ride or not.

Since we have our OSH trailer (full of camping gear) prepositioned in OSH, the aft luggage compartment will be largely empty on our RV-8A.

How small are you? :goofy:

Looking at the map, it seems just about everywhere is within the "show gates" so a bike/scooter would not be very useful, unless you're in the far north 40...?

I think you underestimate how far away everything is. Look at my pics below, I got a really good parking spot in the North 40, north east of the green shower buildings. It is still quite a trek to get to the gates. I can easily get to the show or the shower buildings in 1/4th the time of walking and faster than the shuttle buses which struggle to top 15mph.

The first year I took a bike to OSH I found myself much less fatigued from walking. If I had the choice, I would always want a bike at OSH. Many people buy cheap bikes at the local Goodwill (accessible by a 1 hour long slow-bus ride) and donate it back at the end of the show.

312382_685235571490410_762852268_n.jpg

547406_685235568157077_1326628423_n.jpg

Are you allowed to walk /carry your bike/scooter from the south gate to the north gate or vice versa?

Are there bike lock racks available?

Are you allowed to walk /carry your bike/scooter from the south gate to the north gate or vice versa?

Are there bike lock racks available?

Nope, you cannot walk your bike through the show grounds. What you can do instead of cutting through the show grounds is go around them. From my spot in the N. 40, I usually ride my bike down to the Vintage entrance near the Big Red Barn. This gets me into airshow center much faster than if I would enter through the N. 40 entrance and walk allllll the way from Warbirds to Vintage.

There is PLENTY of bike parking and plenty of places you can lock your bike to a post or chain link fence. Lots of people choose to not even lock their bikes, it works "because Oshkosh".

How do you get from the N40 to the Vintage barn without having to cut through the show?

How do you get from the N40 to the Vintage barn without having to cut through the show?
There is a new (in the last several years) designated bike path that runs along the back edge of the grounds.

This great idea has had three problems:

1. No airplanes to look at. lol
2. A fairly convoluted, not very well marked route.
3. It's not well lit at night, which is when you really need it.

I am hoping that 2 and 3 are improved this year, cuz that bike path sure makes it easier to get to/from Grant's party out in Camp Scholler from the North 40.

There is a new (in the last several years) designated bike path that runs along the back edge of the grounds.

This great idea has had three problems:

1. No airplanes to look at. lol
2. A fairly convoluted, not very well marked route.
3. It's not well lit at night, which is when you really need it.

I am hoping that 2 and 3 are improved this year, cuz that bike path sure makes it easier to get to/from Grant's party out in Camp Scholler from the North 40.

Or from Jay's party in the North 40 back over to Camp Scholler. If, that is, I had a bike with me. Hmmm, a bike carrier. Now that's an idea! We're actually renting a minivan this year for all our stuff, since we no longer have an SUV.

There is a bike path that runs parallel to the road. I took the picture below from the bike path. Beyond the road is non-camping car parking for spectators.

Or you can cut through Homebuilt Camping.

10576900_902694779744487_4156145034131537193_n.jpg

This is the extreme northeast edge of the North 40 airplane camping area... A pretty good distance from the Green Shower building (not visible) actually. You wanna walk all the way beyond where the control tower is, every day? It's a loooooong walk. Maximizing the amount of distance you travel by bicycle is was easier, saves time, and less fatiguing. 10-20mph on a bike or 3mph walking..... :D

10616670_906513372695961_5576826395904856942_n.jpg

Dang, dude. You're wasting away to nothing!

If you don't mind claustrophobia, we could make this work...

I would pay to see Henning squirreled away inna RV-8 luggage space from TX to OSH. Then he surely woulda done everything.

I would pay to see Henning squirreled away inna RV-8 luggage space from TX to OSH. Then he surely woulda done everything.

When I was a kid I used to ride around in the back of a 75 Vette...:lol:

That's the tequila talking, Jay. :)
No, that year was before the bike path. I had to WALK back to the North 40, through the grounds, in the dark. It was unfun.
;)

These last couple of years coming back from Grant's party have been great, on the bikes, but, there are times when you're praying that the surface stays smooth cuz it's pretty much invisible in the dark. As someone who rides a bike one week each year (at Oshkosh), that's fairly scary.

Even some cheap solar lights on the edge would help.

Back