Ray Rice video

N747JB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John
We've all seen the video of Ray Rice knocking his girlfriend out in the elevator. He was suspended for 2 games by the NFL, very weak punishment to say the least. He admitted knocking her out, never really denied it that I am aware of, now the video is released and he's out of football for life.:dunno:
My issue is, if they knew he punched her in the face in the spring, why does the video suddenly take this from a wrist slap to the death penalty??
I think it's all about pressure from the public, seeing a woman punched isn't much different than the guy telling you he punched her, is it?
I think Goddell may be gone if he lied about not seeing this tape until this week! ;)

No more football? Good, maybe he can start playing a real sport.

The other issue with the nfl is they leave themselves wide open to be sued. THEY acted immediately and assessed punishment. Then THEY change their minds afterwards and are pretending some new information came to light that changes everything?

Yeah?

What???

This is such a pathetic attempt to appear to be pc.

I hope the commissioner gets fired for lying about the video.

They didn't suspend Rice because they saw the video. They suspended him because WE saw the video.

He was suspended for 2 games by the NFL, very weak punishment to say the least.

Why is the NFL involved at all? The only thing that the NFL should be expected to say is something like "We are cooperating fully with local law enforcement as they investigate......".

Why is the NFL involved at all? The only thing that the NFL should be expected to say is something like "We are cooperating fully with local law enforcement as they investigate......".

This is my take. This is a law enforcement matter, not an employer matter.

If you punch your girlfriend, should your company suspend you? Fire you?

Slippery slope. How about you get a speeding ticket. Hey, you broke the law, you lose your job.

They have personal conduct rules for players, coaches, staff, even owners.
Goddell screwed up with the two game suspension, he admitted that.
"NJP_MAN
Re: Ray Rice video
They didn't suspend Rice because they saw the video. They suspended him because WE saw the video."
Very true!!
It looks like a make up call that officials give to a team when everybody knows they blew a call.;)
I think the video is just an excuse to correct the mistake Goddell made in his original punishment and it looks like it may backfire on him!:nono:

They have personal conduct rules for players, coaches, staff, even owners.

OK, I'm not up on the contents of NFL employment contracts, but if the contract contains rules that he violated, then yes, termination is the answer.

These players are entertainers, and their employers have every right to demand behavior that does not demean the enterprise. The owners should, however, act on whatever code they enforce and be done. Changing their decision after the fact does nothing but dilute their authority and make them appear corrupt. FC has the right of it this time.

Why anyone should be surprised that these fellows engage in domestic violence is beyond me. They're big violent men in a violent sport. They're supposed to just turn all that off when they leave the field? This is who we want entertaining us.

They didn't suspend Rice because they saw the video. They suspended him because WE saw the video.

+1 :yes:

Goddell has got to go.

This morning they found a NFL secretary that admitted she saw the video in the elevator and forwarded it to all the executives including Goddell. The secretary told the officer that sent the video she watched it and it was "terrible". Goodell has stated publically he, or no one in the NFL administration had seen the clip. :nono:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com...ed-a-copy-of-the-ray-rice-video-in-april.html

Last edited:
The other issue with the nfl is they leave themselves wide open to be sued. THEY acted immediately and assessed punishment. Then THEY change their minds afterwards and are pretending some new information came to light that changes everything?

Yeah?

What???

This is such a pathetic attempt to appear to be pc.

I hope the commissioner gets fired for lying about the video.

+1 :yes:

Its usually not the crime that brings people down, its the attempted cover up.

Professional sport in general, but especially the NFL is becoming unwatchable due to the PC culture, and the constant politicization of broadcasts. The Rice incident is just the tip of the iceberg. The only thing the NFL, and other pro sports care about is maximizing profits, NOT doing what is morally, legally or ethicially right.

Chris Rock had a comment the other day: "Just to be clear. Ray Rice was not fired for beating his wife. He was fired because a video of him beating his wife was released."

Professional sport in general, but especially the NFL is becoming unwatchable due to all the stupid freakin' celebrations after routine plays.

Fixed That For You.

What former player was it that commented "can none of these guys act like they've done it before?"

Do you job, go back to the huddle, do you job, go back to the huddle.

I haven't watched a pro football game in about a decade.

And soccer is worse with all the fake dives the players take. I tried to watch the world cup this year. That lasted about 15 minutes.

What former player was it that commented "can none of these guys act like they've done it before?"

Was that Franco Harris? He used to score, flip the ball to the head linesman and and walk off the field, like he'd done it hundreds of times...

Of course, he did.

Fixed That For You.

I haven't watched a pro football game in about a decade.

And soccer is worse with all the fake dives the players take. I tried to watch the world cup this year. That lasted about 15 minutes.

Well Bill Bergey, former all pro Eagle's linebacker used to quote Coach Paul Brown for saying the "been there before" line. Long ago, I also heard an interview with another former Eagle Chuck Bednarik (Concrete Charlie) who was criticizing pro footbal players for over celebration. He said that in the old days if someone had done that they'd get their leg broken on the next play. That was before the big money, and even bigger egos were in pro sports. The culture seemed to have changed with the TV exposure, and money. Many athletes are also more flashy today than before.

The problem with the way it was handled is that after giving him 2 weeks, the commissioner admitted it was too little and he SET A DOMESTIC ABUSE POLICY for the league:

1st offense: 6-8 game suspension
2nd offense: lifetime ban from NFL

So why did Rice get a lifetime ban on his 1st offense? Basically, it was the commish covering his own ass. But based on the public reactions, especially women's groups like N.O.W., he may be looking for a new job soon. But his $30/mil per year salary should hold him over for a while. :rofl:

Like somebody said earlier, it's not the action that's going to get him in trouble, it's the stupid and blatant lies about the action.

I'd be out of a job if a video like this was release of my knocking my wife out. And I don't have a contract.

I suspect many people on this board would also be out of a job for personal misconduct like this.

I'd be out of a job if a video like this was release of my knocking my wife out. And I don't have a contract.

I suspect many people on this board would also be out of a job for personal misconduct like this.
Most of us would probably be charged in that case, and a felony arrest would make it easier for our employers to can us.

Ron Wanttaja

Slippery slope. How about you get a speeding ticket. Hey, you broke the law, you lose your job.

That's exactly right. The NFL is a private sports sanctioning organization, not a court of law or a law enforcement agency. I think the end result might be in order by virtue of an NFL policy on personal conduct, but it should be the courts that decide if Rice committed a crime as such and not Goddell, the NFL or the public.

I believe he is suspended "indefinitely" which is not the same as permanently. He'll play again. Vick did.

Most of us would probably be charged in that case, and a felony arrest would make it easier for our employers to can us.

He was charged. But he was given pre-trial diversion and if he keeps massaging her feet for a year and shows up for counseling, the charge will disappear like it never happened.

The NJ judiciary obviously didn't think this was the crime of the century and neither did his now wife.

Chris Rock had a comment the other day: "Just to be clear. Ray Rice was not fired for beating his wife. He was fired because a video of him beating his wife was released."

He tends to have the most fitting comments for these kinds of events: 'But right now, there is no rehab for stupidity' is the other one that comes to mind.

Another one of his that might fit:

>>
You know what they say, "There's no reason to ever hit a woman." ****! There's a reason to hit everybody. You just don't do it. ****, there's a reason to kick an old man down a flight of stairs. You just don't do it. Ain't nobody above an ass-whooping.
<<

--

As the guy on the radio this morning said: "She couldn't half him unless they got married. That's why she's so angry at the media about this, it's costing her some real money."

I believe he is suspended "indefinitely" which is not the same as permanently. He'll play again. Vick did.

I hope he does play again, if he leaves his anger and aggression on the field. Hitting you spouse is certsinly not acceptable, but it happens a lot. We don't shoot people who do it.... unless he is married to one of my daughters. :mad:

Ron Wanttaja

He was arrested, charged, admitted what happened and made a plea deal. :rolleyes: Probably a better deal than the equipment manager for the Ravens could have made, but a deal none the less.;)
By suspending him indefinitely, it gave the Ravens an out to dump him and his unpaid salary.
I question the additional suspension, IF the NFL had the tape, it wasn't new evidence, it just became public evidence.:nono: The NFL is one of the most powerful non-profit organizations in the world, I don't believe they couldn't get the tape if they really wanted it. :dunno:
I think Goddell is going to be lucky to get out with his job, and it's a pretty good paying gig! :D

Works that way for the US Air Force...

Though what Rice did is terrible and IMO he should face more consequences than a 2 game suspension and slap on the wrist from a pre-trial intervention...

I hope Ray Rice sues the NFL and wins big. They can't go jerking people around. I don't see how the "new" video changed the story any. Goodell and the NFL can't go around re-issuing punishment willy-nilly based on the media's opinion. The whole "it's a privilege" to play in the NFL thing is BS. These are people's careers.

I'm fine with the NFL penalizing players for off-field behavior. But they must be consistent.

Last edited:
And they suspend and fine the Patriots 4 months and a bazzillion $ for deflating footballs a little bit during a game. Sports Entertainment. Emphasis on the second word. Too hell with them.

And they suspend and fine the Patriots 4 months and a bazzillion $ for deflating footballs a little bit during a game. Sports Entertainment. Emphasis on the second word. Too hell with them.

I don't know. The off the field stuff was handled by the criminal courts. It's not the NFL's fault that criminal justice system decided to go light on him. The Brady misconduct directly affected the integrity of the game on the field. I don't know who else would police cheating other than the NFL itself.

Integrity of the game... lol... there's been cheating and bending of the rules of the game ever since the game has been played. Don't pretend its some spic and span squeaky clean game. There are millions of dollars involved, and teams/players/owners cheat/bend the rules all the time.

Brady didn't assault anyone. Rice beat the crap out of his wife and dragged her out of an elevator. Punishing Rice lightly is almost condoning his actions.

Integrity of the game... lol... there's been cheating and bending of the rules of the game ever since the game has been played. Don't pretend its some spic and span squeaky clean game.

I don't pretend. We know the Pats have cheated multiple times. That's not to say that the NFL should lie down and accept it. Thank goodness they are at least trying to punish cheating now.

I don't pretend. We know the Pats have cheated multiple times. That's not to say that the NFL should lie down and accept it. Thank goodness they are at least trying to punish cheating now.

We do?

How?

Show me the actual cheating....

I can't show the blind anything.

You claim the Pats cheated. Are you unable to articulate what they did that you think was cheating?

You claim the Pats cheated. Are you unable to articulate what they did that you think was cheating?

I can. And it has been articulated. But no matter what, Pats fans will claim continue to deflect, blame others, and generally lie to themselves and/or others. So why bother.

I don't know. The off the field stuff was handled by the criminal courts. It's not the NFL's fault that criminal justice system decided to go light on him. The Brady misconduct directly affected the integrity of the game on the field. I don't know who else would police cheating other than the NFL itself.
If I did what Ray Rice did, I'd have a tough time working in my chosen profession regardless of what the courts did. Many of us would. There's no doubt that Rice as guilty of what he was accused of, after all, there's video. Nobody can doubt that he's a piece of **** wife beater, but he got special treatment because of who he is, and the victim stood up for him because he's rich and gives her money. My employer wouldn't let that pass, would yours? But the NFL doesn't give a crap because he's fast. And when he's back on the field, if he's still fast, the fans won't care either.

Back