Rating Progress

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
Due to the frozen-ness since Christmas, I figured it would be good to study my ass off and finish up with the book work. Studied a couple hours every day, and killed the written Friday with a 93.

Early November did my IFR cross country. It was my second time in real IMC, first was a long-time ago for a just a few minutes. For my 5-hour x-country, about 3.5 was actual. We did an ILS, a VOR approach, and finally a localizer down to minimums. Approach even had us do a hold waiting for planes going into North Central, so we pretty much did it all, that after hearing from so many pilots that they've maybe done 1 or 2 holds in all their years of IFR flying. Was one of the coolest experiences of my life, and also showed me how foggles does nothing to prepare you for actual conditions. Climbing out of our departure airport right into a broken layer was incredibly disorienting, and it took a ton of discipline to trust those instruments. Amazing how your mind messes with you and does everything to try and get you to trust your ears instead of the gauges.

It was all hand flown using VORs, no ADF or DME. Can't wait to try this one day with GPS and an autopilot. I have about 12 hours to go before I can take my practical. Plan on flying this week a little once it warms up and put another hour or two in.

nice! not to get into this old debate, but what did you use to study for the written?

Nice. Sounds like you had a great IFR x-country experience.

I too only logged one actual hold by ATC in recent years, but pays to be proficient since when that happens typically means things are busy.

I just bought the sporty's video for IFR, hope to take the written by the end of Feb, if not sooner.

nice! not to get into this old debate, but what did you use to study for the written?

I first read the FAA books Instrument Handbook then Instrument Procedures. Then I used Sheppard Air while taking notes on the respective FAR/AIM sections. It was overkill, but I feel like I truly have a good handle on the material.

I just bought the sporty's video for IFR, hope to take the written by the end of Feb, if not sooner.
I am going thru sporty's as well, the stuff if pretty cut and dry. If I can figure out a way of not falling asleep, I might actually learn a thing or two

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I am going thru sporty's as well, the stuff if pretty cut and dry. If I can figure out a way of not falling asleep, I might actually learn a thing or two

If you want even more help falling asleep, I started studying by reading the Instrument Flying Handbook and Instrument Procedures FAA publications. I usually couldn't make it more than a couple pages before wanting to tap out.

If you want even more help falling asleep, I started studying by reading the Instrument Flying Handbook and Instrument Procedures FAA publications. I usually couldn't make it more than a couple pages before wanting to tap out.
Yah I tried that too. Currently I am going thru some YT videos that explain IFR charts and stuff, hoping to get a baseline before going back to sporty's

I found Machado's stuff readable compared to anything else out there. Skip through the corny humor for the meat-n-taters.

Yah I tried that too. Currently I am going thru some YT videos that explain IFR charts and stuff, hoping to get a baseline before going back to sporty's
If it would help, we could do a Q&A session via Google Hangout some evening.

I did the Cessna Flight Training (King) for the ground portion, part 141, and then used Shepard air to prep for the written. You are right, those videos and sessions are pretty tough to get through without nodding off a few times.

I used Sporty’s for my PPL. I thought it was a better done course. I’m assuming the instrument course would be equally as well done.

Back