Rating Overlap

apr911

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
apr911
Rating Requirement Overlaps

Hi all,

Looking at various advanced ratings and I see a lot of overlaps. Im hoping someone here on the board can shed light on the "hard" requirements for the particular rating and the "soft" requirements...

Here's an example:
Obtaining an Instrument Rating requires a 250 NM XC
Obtaining a Commercial Rating requires a 300 NM XC w/ a single 150 NM leg
Obtaining a Commercial Rating requires a night & a day 100NM XC of 2+hrs.

I already know I can push my instrument cross country to 300NM and meet the long cross country for Commercial and Instrument, but could I not push the distance a little further (to add hours), make the flight half during the day and half at night and meet all 4 requirements in one trip?

Follow-on question... Looking at the Multi-Engine add-on to my PPL it does not look all that difficult to do and doesnt require many hours, but I dont know that I have a need for multi-engine (really I wasn't planning on it, multi engine rentals are expensive and if I buy a plane its likely to be a single engine Bonanza unless I come into some money and can afford a Grumman Amphib).

That being said, it would seem given the requirements of the multi commercial that the time/XC requirements must be met in a multi engine aircraft and thus it might make more sense to get the multi signoff now before getting new ratings rather than having to go back and do requirements over again to add it to existing rating later.

A single engine commercial pilot with Multi-rating can not be PIC for commercial operations in a multi correct?
What about the other way around, can a Multi-engine commercial pilot be PIC for commercial operations in a single?

I imagine the answer to those last 2 would also be the same as it pertains to a seaplane?

Last edited:
Re: Rating Requirement Overlaps

Hi all,

Looking at various advanced ratings and I see a lot of overlaps. Im hoping someone here on the board can shed light on the "hard" requirements for the particular rating and the "soft" requirements...

Here's an example:
Obtaining an Instrument Rating requires a 250 NM XC
Obtaining a Commercial Rating requires a 300 NM XC w/ a single 150 NM leg
Obtaining a Commercial Rating requires a night & a day 100NM XC of 2+hrs.

I already know I can push my instrument cross country to 300NM and meet the long cross country for Commercial and Instrument,
Since the long IFR XC is a training flight, but the 300 mile XC for CP is solo (or at least simulated solo), you can't do both at the same time. You can, however, do a dual IFR XC as an "out and back" with the leg out in the day and the leg home at night and get credit for both the 61.65(d)(2)(ii) long IFR XC and also the 61.129(a)(3)(iii/iv) day/night dual XC's.

A single engine commercial pilot with Multi-rating can not be PIC for commercial operations in a multi correct?
If you mean a pilot with a CP-ASEL plus Private privileges in AMEL, you are correct -- s/he cannot be a required pilot crewmember in a twin in a commercial operation.

What about the other way around, can a Multi-engine commercial pilot be PIC for commercial operations in a single?
If you mean a pilot with a CP-AMEL plus Private privileges in ASEL, you are correct -- s/he cannot be a required pilot crewmember in a single in a commercial operation.

I imagine the answer to those last 2 would also be the same as it pertains to a seaplane?
Yes. If any rating is limited to Private privileges, you cannot exercise Commercial privileges in that category/class.

Back