Rating dilemma.

gsfan23

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
gsfan23
I am a private pilot VFR only with about 175 hours. I am at a dilemma as to where to go next. I have my IFR training and written out of the way. I would probably just need a few flights to refresh my training because of an eight month lapse. I was also considering getting my multi-engine first, but I am not sure about it. What, in the big scheme of things is better, finishing the IFR before multi, or the other way around? Thanks for any advice.

Doesn't it depend on what you want to do?

Why do you want your IFR rating?

Why do you want the multi?

Either way, no big difference. It'll be cheaper if you do your IR in the SE first, you'll gain more ME time/experience if you do your initial IR with your ME. If you intend to fly mostly ME going forward, I would do the latter, if you are just chasing ratings, do the former.

Last edited:
I did my IR first, then added a multi when I needed to fly a twin. I wouldn't waste money on a Multi engine VFR rating unless you plan to own a twin and get your IR in it, which seems counter-intuitive to me. ;)
Get your IR, use it a while and if you have the need for, or an opportunity to fly a twin, get your Multi instrument at that time. It's not hard to learn to fly a twin, but it would be more expensive and harder to learn to fly instruments in a twin. :D

I did my IR first, then added a multi when I needed to fly a twin. I wouldn't waste money on a Multi engine VFR rating unless you plan to own a twin and get your IR in it, which seems counter-intuitive to me. ;)
Get your IR, use it a while and if you have the need for, or an opportunity to fly a twin, get your Multi instrument at that time. It's not hard to learn to fly a twin, but it would be more expensive and harder to learn to fly instruments in a twin. :D

Yep, but since I bought a twin with 60hrs and at the time the minimums for IR were 125, I ended up doing a VFR ME first. Funny thing was I did my initial IR SE in a 172 because I got the plane and instructor for $30 an hour, wet. (Well, I did have a day of labor into it as well for his annual).

That makes sense. I didn't even consider the cost or trouble getting IR in a twin. I am hoping to eventually get commercial rated. I have Ben toying with the idea of owning/ co-owning a small twin.

That makes sense. I didn't even consider the cost or trouble getting IR in a twin. I am hoping to eventually get commercial rated. I have Ben toying with the idea of owning/ co-owning a small twin.

No 'trouble' getting the rating first in a twin, just extra cost. If you are going forward in the twin, the extra 'trouble' is what you are looking for because 'trouble' is what we train for. You want your training to be as difficult as possible so when the s-t hits the fan you are as prepared as possible. When people seek the easiest cheapest training they can get it makes me go :nonod::nonod::nonod: because they are doing no one any favors.

Saving money and effort in aviation do not mix well.

Get IR first, then ME.

I just got my IR. But I am waiting until I KNOW I can afford to feed a twin before I buy one and get my ME rating. Meanwhile, my 182 is pretty capable.

But I am not going Commercial. My flying is just for my private/business/family use.

Why the 8 month lapse?

It was mostly a change in marital status that caused the lapse. I was left with a huge mess to clean up. Finally got back in the air a few times in the last month. One of witch I took my 5 year old on his first GA flight in a PA-28.

It was mostly a change in marital status that caused the lapse. I was left with a huge mess to clean up. Finally got back in the air a few times in the last month. One of witch I took my 5 year old on his first GA flight in a PA-28.

hmmmmm....

(hopefully I have not offended you)

Not at all. Legitimate question with legitimate answer. It's just where I am. Flying isn't cheap when all I can do is rent and funds just had to be reallocated for other things. For the first few months my world was in such a spin I didn't feel safe getting pic time. No hard feelings at all.

Depends on what you plan of flying after you're done. I was flying a twin before I had my IR, so I ended up getting my IR in a twin. In you're case I think that if you plan on flying twins either way then go get your ME right now and IR later, if you want you're ME just to be able to fly a twin and will really be flying singles then get you're IR first.

I'd do it in the single first for ease in primacy of learning, you'll have plenty of time later in the multi with even more to think about.

Lots of good insight from others. In most situations I would strongly recommend your IR first. The main reason is that it makes your PPL much more useful. With the IR you will be able to fly in most weather and you will learn a tremendous amount about weather and "the system." Plain and simple, it will make you a better pilot. The other obvious reasons have to do with cost savings associated with getting the multi-instrument mentioned above.

If it were me, I'd go for the instrument rating first. It makes you a safer and more proficient pilot.

Back