Rate this quote behavior

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Win 2k Pro, Firefox 1.5
First time onto the home page, click on "Rate this quote" + sign and screen goes blank. Firefox status says "Done" ... click "Back" and I'm back to the previous page and all looks ok.

There are some real issues with the quote system in the new 3.5 version. I've really got to remove and reinstall it from scratch but haven't had the time to backup the existing quotes and don't want to redo the quote system to simply have an empty database.

So, in other words
"Hey doc, it hurts when I do this"
"Ok, so don't do that!"
:)
Just kidding...I just noticed the new feature and, of course, just HAD to push the button!!!

Bingo. Dont do that. :)

No - seriously - I've been pretty busy the last few weeks - and right now I'm fighting with a virtual machine that I need to get set up but its taking a lot of effort on my part.

HOpefully sometime soon I'll be able to turn my attention to some of the outstanding tech issues here - but work has to come first. :)

Last edited:
just an FYI (but you probably already knew this) it's not browser specific. Same behavior with IE 6.0 on Win NT 4.0 ... yes I use an antique at home - I detest change.

gkainz said:
just an FYI (but you probably already knew this) it's not browser specific. Same behavior with IE 6.0 on Win NT 4.0 ... yes I use an antique at home - I detest change.
I thought I was the only one with a dinosaur.

At long last, this behavior is fixed! Yay for a few spare minutes! :)

Greebo said:
At long last, this behavior is fixed! Yay for a few spare minutes! :)

It doesn't work.

haha - just kidding. Works here. Good job!

Greebo said:
Bingo. Dont do that. :)

No - seriously - I've been pretty busy the last few weeks - and right now I'm fighting with a virtual machine that I need to get set up but its taking a lot of effort on my part.
. . . SNIP . . .

Virtual machine? How about virtually working on it?

Sounds JAVA'ish or S/390 VM. I'd be impressed with the latter. JAVA stinks.

Actually its Microsoft Virtual PC. I've been working to set up some virtual machine images so I can work on a few different projects without running the risk of them interfering with each other or any of the required tools messing up my main machine.

Sadly, VMs are really REALLY slow - even when allocated 1.5G of the available 2G memory and given highest (as in realtime) priority on the cpu. *sigh*

Have you looked at VMware?

I use it to set up several operating systems on 1 PC to test.
While perfomance is not as good as native it is adequate. I haven't done any benmarks but my guess is 50% penalty maybe a touch more.

Setup is easy except you have to load an OS and do all the updates and required reboots.

Joe

No. I have an MSDN subscription - all paid for by work - and Virtual PC comes with it.

So I use what I don't gotta pay more for. :)

But its slow enough I might just try it to compare performance. If I find the time to go through all that setup again... :)

Well chuck, unless i'm doing smething wrong. I dont have the Rate-A-Quote option on the web page now. Dave G

LOL - the whole quote page wasn't working - you couldn't add, edit, view - anything. I had to fix it by doing a total reinstall and must have forgotten to enable ratings when I did...

Turning it on now. :)

Back