Rare bird

Wow - that is an awesome looking bird. I'd rock it around town :)

Richard said:
Look at the seller's name.

WOW! Al Hayes, the hero of that UAL flight that lost all or most of its control surface authority. Didn't an engine explode taking out the rudder and some other controls? He landed the plane using differential thrust. And did you see why he's selling? "Rape of my UAL pension". This guy is a true hero, what a tragedy!

OMG. That just totally bummed out my day.

I bet he wishes he could personally get his hands around Bin Laden's neck.

Anthony said:
Didn't an engine explode taking out the rudder and some other controls?
The center engine had an uncontained failure of a compressor fan and it took out ALL hydraulics and ALL flight controls. -Skip

Anthony said:
WOW! Al Hayes, the hero of that UAL flight that lost all or most of its control surface authority. Didn't an engine explode taking out the rudder and some other controls? He landed the plane using differential thrust. And did you see why he's selling? "Rape of my UAL pension". This guy is a true hero, what a tragedy!

It could be a typo but it was Al Haynes (not hayes) that flew the crippled DC-10.

greg

river_rat said:
It could be a typo but it was Al Haynes (not hayes) that flew the crippled DC-10.

greg

Greg. You are correct it was Haynes. Probably a different guy. Never mind.

Re: Rare bird- Edit

Is this flying as an experimental?

What size engines did they put on it?

Never mind: http://twinnavion.com/history.htm

A neat story. It whould be fun to fly with the 150 hp engines.

Last edited:
NickDBrennan said:
OMG. That just totally bummed out my day.

I bet he wishes he could personally get his hands around Bin Laden's neck.

Mismanagement of an airline is NOT the responsibility of Bin Laden.

Anthony said:
Greg. You are correct it was Haynes. Probably a different guy. Never mind.

No problem Anthony, I chalked it up to the lack of Crabs in your diet. :D

greg

river_rat said:
No problem Anthony, I chalked it up to the lack of Crabs in your diet. :D
greg

And you sir have just reminded me of those little, elusive crustaceans that do not exist here. At this point I could even drink a "crab shake". :)

Anthony said:
And you sir have just reminded me of those little, elusive crustaceans that do not exist here. At this point I could even drink a "crab shake". :)
OK, enough whining... get thee to the Fresh Fish Company on Hamden Ave, a little east of I-25 and give me your expert opinion on "crabs in the land of cattle" ...

Back