Raptor traps pilot

Gotta love the pictures here: http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/04/25/Navigation/177/204883/Pictures+Pilot+trapped+for+5h+in+cockpit+of+USAF's+new+$135m+F-22A+Raptor+after+canopy.html
The look on the pilot's face is priceless.

getAsset.aspx

"Why must you take photos at a time like this?"

Reminiscent of one of Bob Hoover's mis-adventures during his test pilot days at EDW where he made an emergency landing off airport and, due to the lack of electrical and hydraulic power, was unable to open the canopy until the rescue squad could locate him some several hours later. By then he had stripped down to his skivvies in the desert heat. He chose not to "blow" the canopy because in those days the charge often took off more than the canopy.

Does that mean they're going to replace crash knives with chain saws?
It's going to be noisy inside there with a chainsaw running. Kickback is going to be downright excessively exciting.

Steve said:
I suppose pulling the red handle was too complicated?
Ya gotta figure that the eject sequence relies on the same computerized, electro-mechanical, hydraulic, digital, servo, microswitch sensor system that wasn't working, except it would rocket the pilot into the top of the canopy.

The ejection sequence is far from risk free for the pilot, and the damage to the plane would have been a lot more than a busted canopy.

I suspect a few spare canopies are lying around back at the factory. They should be able to blow the canopy without firing the rocket seat. Better outcome than the cleanup the polycarbonate shards and hydrocarbon contamination entails, a condition which was probably not included in the original design spec.

But I think mikeA is spot on with the "that didn't work, what else now doesn't work" perspective.... :)

I wonder what kind of stripper you use on low-observable paint?

Back