Raptor Aircraft

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Unit74, Nov 6, 2015.

1. FastEddieB

FastEddieB Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fast Eddie B
    [​IMG]

Jim K, Omalley1537 and Grum.Man like this.
  2. nauga

nauga Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mantis Toboggan, MD
    I haven't seen his Op Lims so I don't know what he's got, but I've been involved with several Ex/R&D that did not have the Phase I & II of amateur built. For that matter, several of them completed their programs with less than 40 hours. In cases not intended for eventual cert (part 23 or 25) there were no specific test requirements like an air data cal or stall speed determination that we did not require for our own purposes, and we were only approved to perform the tests in our (very detailed) test plans.

My point is not that he does or does not have to to anything specific, my point is that Ex/R&D certs are typically unique to an airplane and test program. One can't assume it's just like an Ex/AB cert just because the end goal is Ex/AB.

Nauga,
    who also couldn't use a DAR for initial certs

TCABM likes this.
  3. pilotrick

pilotrick Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    pilotrick
    I know someone who has seen his ops limits and he said they were unusual and were more similar to amateur built category.

4. woodchucker

woodchucker Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    woodchucker
    If this guy digs a hole in the ground what are the odds that the FAA makes things 10x more difficult to go the experimental route?

5. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    I think very low.

Sierra_Hotel and 231TC like this.
  6. nauga

nauga Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mantis Toboggan, MD
    I've already lost one bet in this thread but there have already been some really egregious examples of corners cut, mistakes made in ignorance or haste, and lives lost in the name of getting Ex/AB airplanes or large-scale components to market that have not resulted in changes to the process. We are fortunate that there have not been.

Nauga,
    a student of history

tjfelles likes this.
  7. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    Speaking of.. does the scope of the FAA and NTSB differ with experimental and/or preproduction aircraft when it comes to accident investigation?

8. Omalley1537

Omalley1537 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Sean
    Pure speculation, and I didn’t even stay at a holiday inn express last night...

I’d think that would largely depend on whether he takes anyone else and/or someone’s property out. If it’s him and the aircraft in a field, there’s no manufacturer like a certified aircraft to recommend changes and/or AD’s to. OTOH, if he causes injury/death and/or property damage to others, I’d think that they’d examine his process to determine if things were done safely...if so, I don’t think they’re going to like what they see.

But again, pure WAG on my part.

Tantalum likes this.
  9. wanttaja

wanttaja En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ron Wanttaja
    The emphasis is less, on experimental accidents. The ultimate purpose of the investigation is to determine factors that could be used to prevent future accidents. If an aircraft is a Cessna, there's a chance that a flaw may be found in the design or in training to fly that aircraft, which could be used to potentially reduce the chances of a future accidents (such as via an AD). No such opportunity, with an experimental, which is considered a one-of-a-kind aircraft. The NTSB doesn't even show up for some homebuilt accidents.

The NTSB does occasionally look into potential problems with common homebuilt kits (such as the RV-6A nosewheel issues they looked at about 15 years ago), but that doesn't happen often.

Ron Wanttaja

Tantalum likes this.
  10. iamtheari

iamtheari Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ari
    I would assume that the powerplant is a factor, though. If the Raptor with its one-off auto conversion powerplant crashes, finding a problem with the powerplant will not prevent many future crashes. If my RV-14 with a Lycoming IO-390 and Hartzell propeller goes down because of powerplant failure, even though I have an "experimental" IO-390 variant, there is a chance that many Cirrus SR-20 pilots would benefit from eliminating flaws in the IO-390.

FastEddieB and Tantalum like this.
  11. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    ^to really stretch the imagination.. could, or has, an engine manufacturer restricted the applicable use of their engines?

If the Raptor starts selling like hot cakes and 500 frames later a 1/3 of them have crashed due to engine issues I could see Audi deciding to prohibit their use in aircraft. I mean, lawyers will go after anything, if you can sue (and win!) for hot coffee, or sue because you put superglue in your hair I imagine this kind of visibility is one that some non aviation entities would like to avoid

12. wanttaja

wanttaja En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ron Wanttaja
    Certainly, *but*: The NTSB is not going to know that the engine is "stock" unless an investigation is actually performed. Easier (and probably ultimately more productive) for them to take a pass on it. There's also the fact that the engine was installed by an amateur; there's no telling how any issues it has is due to installation vs. design issues until, again, the NTSB allocates resources to investigate.

About ten years ago, the NTSB decided to take an in-depth look at homebuilt aircraft accidents. As part of that, they did in-depth analysis of all homebuilt accidents in the year 2011. The in-depth analysis that year was on a par at what they ordinarily perform on type-certified airplanes.

Ron Wanttaja

iamtheari likes this.
  13. wanttaja

wanttaja En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ron Wanttaja
    IIRC, the Vickers Vimy replica had BMW conversions at one point. ISTR BMW removed their support and they had to switch to another engine type.

I doubt Audi could out-and-out ban the use of their engine in the aircraft, but they could certainly ban Raptor's use of the trademarked term, "Audi." They could probably also make it real difficult to obtain spare parts.

Ron Wanttaja

14. Racerx

Racerx Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ernie
    No real point. Ive given peter crap and most of it is deserved. His goals were lofty. It seems he has moved the goal posts and that's ok. Sure canards have been done, but it's not like he took a velocity and scaled it up. He largely alone designed and built an airplane without anything conventional. No conventional engine. And yet, if you believe his ADS-b data (and there's reason to question the accuracy), it cruises faster than 2 of the most popular aircraft in GA history. Granted the thing is over weight and unstable. And there's no amount of money you can give me that I'd ride in prototype 1. Pie in the sky hopeful numbers aside, it's an accomplishment.

I need a shower after that praise. I feel unclean

Jim K, tjfelles, Kevin Eggert and 3 others like this.
  15. Racerx

Racerx Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ernie
    A woman once sued (and won) a haunted house for scaring her too much...a place she had paid to scare her just enough.

16. OkieAviator

OkieAviator Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    OkieAviator
  17. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    I've never designed or built a fork before so I'm not allowed to comment on that

3393RP, Jim K, 231TC and 5 others like this.
  18. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    Shameful

19. geezer

geezer Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kruse'n
    The question of whether the manufacturer could restrict their engine from use in the Raptor brought to mind a steam turbine manufactured by the Curtis Corporation. It drove a 25 cycle, 50,000 watt Westinghouse generator. The boiler was 20 feet square, and 40
    feet tall.

The bronze nameplate on that turbine forbid "Installation of this turbine in any aircraft".

A hundred plus years ago, they had some grand visions of the leaps of technology that were to come.

Jim K, 231TC, aftCG and 2 others like this.
  20. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    THAT.. is really cool

Surely it tickles the steampunk fantasy

21. Datadriver

Datadriver Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Datadriver
    Except he has now done it twice...

22. Grandmother Sumac

Grandmother Sumac Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grandmother Sumac
    This is a pet peeve of mine. There are many frivolous lawsuits, to be sure, but the McDonald’s coffee case wasn’t one of them.

23. david.h

david.h Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    david.h
    3rd degree burns "down there", man or woman...don't want to think about it.

24. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    I'm aware of the facts, it was 180-190* water that can cause burns. She had it in her lap and when she opened the lid it spilled and it burned her. I guess I have a different view of life. It wasn't negligent or malicious. Optimum brewing temperature for coffee is just below boiling, from 190° f to 205° f.. hot coffee is just that, hot.. if you purchase fresh coffee then you can expect it to be near boiling point. I will never understand why it is someone else's fault for a mistake that someone made

Life happens, we are on a rock traveling through the universe hurtling towards oblivion.. if you get a booboo why does it have to be someone else's fault?

It's a ridiculous lawsuit and she should have gotten $0.00

Ghery, Jim K, SoonerAviator and 2 others like this.
  25. iamtheari

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ari
    I think this is a POA record. 64 pages of mostly on-topic discussion before the thread swerved to a no-compromise argument about something completely unrelated. Too bad I didn’t bet anyone a beer on that!

Let’s try to steer it back on track: Does the Raptor have cupholders? Does the SR-22, which the Raptor website uses as the baseline for what a modern GA plane should be, have cupholders?

TCABM and Grandmother Sumac like this.
  26. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    Yes, 4, but they're over engineered and flimsy. You can gingerly place a Voss/Fiji/Evian in there and that's about it. If you attempt to close it then it will shatter in your hands

They're also exactly where your foot naturally slides when you board the plane so unwitting occupants destroy them

27. iamtheari

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ari
    I now remember a thread about Cirrus cupholders. Raptor may win this point. :)

28. GaryM

GaryM Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gary M
    No cupholders! No coffee allowed in the aircraft. If there are two things the Raptor can't afford to have on board, it's extra weight, and an extra source of heat.

29. Dave Theisen

Dave Theisen En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Theisen
    If has coffee in the left cup holder, he has to make sure there is one of equal volume in the right cup holder.

Maybe that’s the real reason he only flies on calm days, he doesn’t want to spill his coffee. :)

231TC and schmookeeg like this.
  30. Seanaldinho

Seanaldinho Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Charlie Yankee
    Sounds like a good argument to make it unmanned.

31. steingar

steingar Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    I try to keep coffee out of my aircraft. It stains when spilled. Aircraft interiors are pricey. I spent a day a couple months back removing coffee stains from my aircraft interior. I do not intend to do so again.

32. FastEddieB

FastEddieB Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fast Eddie B
    Now you’re just being silly.

Seriously, a simple lead weight to balance the coffee weight would be a more elegant solution.

33. Sierra_Hotel

Sierra_Hotel Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Sierra_Hotel
    But like a 5 lb barbell weight duct taped to the floor at a random location, because "that should do it."

NHWannabe and Doug States like this.
  34. MacFlier

MacFlier Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    MacFlier
    New video is out. Engine is off the aircraft and he's finally caved to install a Piper-style pito-static tube... :)

35. 231TC

231TC Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    231TC
    But only using half of it.

36. Sierra_Hotel

Sierra_Hotel Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Sierra_Hotel
    It's a start.

37. Datadriver

Datadriver Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Datadriver
    No danger of that.

Tantalum and Omalley1537 like this.
  38. CaptainXap

CaptainXap Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Captain Xap
    McDonald's fault was that they were serving coffee much hotter than most coffee is sold, that hundreds of people had been injured by their overheated coffee, that they had known that their customers were getting third degree burns from their coffee for over a decade, and that they decided they didn't give a **** and wouldn't do anything about it.

39. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    But where is the reasonable line drawn then?

100*, 120* ? A couple people burned? A few hundred..? A couple thousand?

if the coffee is fresh brewed someone can safely assume it's going to be basically undrinkably hot

NHWannabe likes this.
  40. kyleb

kyleb Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drake the Outlaw
    Alternately, they determined that their clientele bought their coffee because it was hot and fresh. Hotter and fresher than the coffee from the competition.

NHWannabe likes this.