Raptor Aircraft

He still says some wacky things that don’t make sense.....but the airplane does look more stable.

AN fittings leak because theres grit in the oil? Did I hear that right? If they leak it's because they're over torqued.

Yeah I just mute the videos and skip through the flying portions. Can't take listening to his BS.

I mute many videos while watching. Especially since often someone adds loud music, and really I just want to watch them.

Today's video is a perfect example of why peter is one of the most hated figures in general aviation. He complains that people trying to help him are "mansplaining". I was rooting for this guy but I'm done now.

Today's video is a perfect example of why peter is one of the most hated figures in general aviation.
Like him or not, "most hated figures?!" Seriously? There seem to be a lot of hurt feelings because he won't take advice. The consequences of failure are all on him but the hurt feelings and "hatred" are most definitely not.

Nauga,
unvested

Maybe I missed it, but where was the simulated go around?

“All those mansplainers keep saying I’m coming in low...if I come in too steep I’m going to be carrying a lot of energy...”

Huh?

Maybe I missed it, but where was the simulated go around?

About 8:45 into the video.

He distracted from it with his riveting narration about how he's smarter than the Garmin engineers or whatever his point was in that rambling.

About 8:45 into the video.

He distracted from it with his riveting narration about how he's smarter than the Garmin engineers or whatever his point was in that rambling.

I missed it - I was assuming he was going to do one down to almost the runway on a low approach. And, yes, I was distracted by his droning on about his autopilot programming.

I haven't watched any of his videos in a while, looking at his tracks on flightaware it however appears as whether he keeps doing the same thing over and over again: Climb to around 4,000 ft, fly a few laps, land. Averaging his ground speeds, it also seems that he is typically cruising at only around 130 kts TAS.

I'm still thinking that he can't get his thermal issues resolved and that he can therefore neither continue to climb nor go any faster, without overheating. That the Raptor turned out to be a fat, draggy pig doesn't help either.

I still believe that we will see him continue to do this until he is at 40 hours. He'll then try to milk it to California as a publicity stunt and start selling it with the promise that the series production kit will match the promised performance numbers and have all the issues fixed.

I still believe that we will see him continue to do this until he is at 40 hours. He'll then try to milk it to California as a publicity stunt and start selling it with the promise that the series production kit will match the promised performance numbers and have all the issues fixed.
If he tries that, he'll have to somehow justify the amount of time the flight took. If it takes three days because of overheat issues, it won't be a impressive as a single high-speed flight.

Best move would be to let the engine toast itself, then use the ballistic chute. He can then dust off his hands, say, "Well, the proof of concept demonstrator did its job, let's get some investment to build the production version!" A save with a BRS will impress investors with no aviation experience.

Ron Wanttaja

Best move would be to let the engine toast itself, then use the ballistic chute. He can then dust off his hands, say, "Well, the proof of concept demonstrator did its job, let's get some investment to build the production version!" A save with a BRS will impress investors with no aviation experience.

Ron Wanttaja
The only problem I can see is that, with a one-off BRS installation, you never really KNOW if you did it right until you personally observe the velocity with which you contact the ground. Seems a risky proposition to me.

The Cirrus folks did a lot of BRS testing dropping loaded barrels out the back of a rented C123 provider in order to dial in the chute sequence and operation

COPA's recent recap of the Cirrus design and testing, while somewhat hokey at times (see above barrel drops for example), shows a good contrast to just how abhorrently arrogant PM is

It'd be a little tough to fly it to California without going over 4000 feet...quite a lot of high terrain in the middle and western parts of the country. Maybe that's why he tried to get to 5000 last week, but he didn't make it. He could probably follow I-10, assuming it can reach higher than 4000 when it takes off from a higher starting point (also assuming it can take off from higher without an 8000 foot runway). Better hurry if that's the plan. It's gonna get warm out there soon.

Also, he never flies it more than once a day. He mentioned before that he needs to start with a cool engine to keep it from overheating. Not sure if that's still the case after all the additional cooling he's added, but if so it'd take longer to fly it than trucking it. Stop for fuel every few hundred miles...and spend the night.

Reactions: YKA
I wonder how much fuel he's been flying with. Also, are we sure the BRS is even installed?

Like him or not, "most hated figures?!" Seriously? There seem to be a lot of hurt feelings because he won't take advice. The consequences of failure are all on him but the hurt feelings and "hatred" are most definitely not.

Nauga,
unvested
Agreed that “most hated” is a stretch. Unfortunately, the consequences are not all on him. Sure, he’ll be the one at ground zero of the smoldering crater, but if innocent people and/or property are as well (or could’ve been), we all know how this will go. Non-aviation citizens will point to how dangerous these “rich boys toys” are. Elected critters will promise “changes for safety.” And we’ll get more draconian nanny-laws stifling real innovation and freedom due to this chucklehead’s “innovation” via Rube Goldberg design strategy.

Most frustrating? Easily unlikeable?
Agreed that “most hated” is a stretch
Like him or not, "most hated figures?!" Seriously?
I mean, strictly speaking, how many "hated figures" are there in GA to begin with?

By YouTube standards?
Perhaps, but if we narrow the pool to YouTube people making videos about flying the most "annoying" are somewhere, from least to worst, in this category

Niko's Wings
Guthmiller
CitationMax
PM

But outside of PM all of those people above, though maybe a little self centered or "look at ME?!" at times, still provide aeronautical value to the audience. PM, not so much

I mean, strictly speaking, how many "hated figures" are there in GA to begin with?

Perhaps, but if we narrow the pool to YouTube people making videos about flying the most "annoying" are somewhere, from least to worst, in this category

Niko's Wings
Guthmiller
CitationMax
PM

But outside of PM all of those people above, though maybe a little self centered or "look at ME?!" at times, still provide aeronautical value to the audience. PM, not so much

You forgot the PO and two previous AP-IA’s in the corroded piper thread...They have to be in the “most hated” finalist category

I'd be a fool to list them here but rest assured there are or have been people in more influential GA roles that garner as little or less respect than PM.

Perhaps, but if we narrow the pool to YouTube people making videos about flying...
Why limit it to YouTube? If you include aviation forums the list gets much longer. Perhaps other names you've heard...;) But if one wants their scorn and vitriol to have an impact, I suggest directing it at people who are *influential*, not just annoying. I find it's easier to just skip videos by people that annoy me but tend to be more outspoken when I think there's the possibility of lasting damage.

Nauga,
guiding, navigating, and controlling

Unfortunately, the consequences are not all on him. Sure, he’ll be the one at ground zero of the smoldering crater, but if innocent people and/or property are as well (or could’ve been), we all know how this will go.
In that respect he's no different from many (or several, at least) Ex/AB operators and a handful of Ex/Ex operators, some of which are lauded for their 'successes.'

Nauga,
comparatively

Also, are we sure the BRS is even installed?

Yes, the chute is installed. I went back and checked recently because I was wondering too.

Installed correctly? Anybody's guess. He still had his experienced helpers at that point, so I'd say it's better than a 50/50 chance it was installed correctly. Whether he has messed with it since to "improve" it, again anybody's guess.

Questions have also been raised about the straps getting into the prop. Seems like a likely scenario, but I don't know if it would cut or tangle the straps. Those straps are pretty tough so I'm guessing they would win and strip the blades off the prop if it's still spinning. But just a guess. I have nothing to back it up.

Why limit it to YouTube? If you include aviation forums the list gets much longer. Perhaps other names you've heard...;) But if one wants their scorn and vitriol to have an impact, I suggest directing it at people who are *influential*, not just annoying. I find it's easier to just skip videos by people that annoy me but tend to be more outspoken when I think there's the possibility of lasting damage.
haha, I've done a good job at cutting home cable and avoiding the Niko and Guthmiller videos, but something about the Raptor draws me in, like a bad drug. I'd love for it to eventually be a successful program, we need more things that fly.. but so many of the videos just leave me disappointed.

Yes, the chute is installed. I went back and checked recently because I was wondering too.

Installed correctly? Anybody's guess. He still had his experienced helpers at that point, so I'd say it's better than a 50/50 chance it was installed correctly. Whether he has messed with it since to "improve" it, again anybody's guess.

Questions have also been raised about the straps getting into the prop. Seems like a likely scenario, but I don't know if it would cut or tangle the straps. Those straps are pretty tough so I'm guessing they would win and strip the blades off the prop if it's still spinning. But just a guess. I have nothing to back it up.
Eventually, if the BRS is to be a viable product, that should be tested and vetted. Cirrus did a lot of testing with theirs. The Raptor's experimental nature likely requires less "vetting" but I would not just assume that having a parachute means it's all good. Many ships have lost souls due to poor or inaccessible, or insufficient lifeboat design.

The most hated man in aviation is back at it again, with more garbage of how he doesn't need to do stall testing. What a moron!

bUt a CaNArD pLaNe CaN'T StaLl

upload_2021-1-27_21-7-4.png

I'm sure he assumes his superior aeronautical skills guarantees that the canard will stall before the main wing and not require any actual testing on that front. Didn't a guy somewhere in a canard plane die because the main wing stalled first? I think a heavily modified Velocity? Or am I making this up

A Rutan canard may not stall, but it will still sink. And Peter is no Burt Rutan.

The most hated man in aviation is back at it again, with more garbage of how he doesn't need to do stall testing. What a moron!

I don't have any ill will toward him, but can agree with your assessment of his commentary on stalls. His arrogance is dangerous in general. But some get away with much worse for much longer, and some die while doing everything right. Let's hope he's lucky.

I'm sure he assumes his superior aeronautical skills guarantees that the canard will stall before the main wing and not require any actual testing on that front. Didn't a guy somewhere in a canard plane die because the main wing stalled first? I think a heavily modified Velocity? Or am I making this up
I think there have been a few fatalities from deep stalls in canards. I just recently read about this one: http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2015/12/raven-n79zr-fatal-accident-occurred.html. That was a modified Cozy. I heard of a Velocity that got into an inverted deep stall, but don't know the story on that one.

Thanks! That was the one I was thinking of, the modified Cozy.

I couldn't find any information about modifications, but the NTSB report stated the airplane CG was about three inches beyond the aft limit. It's my understanding that a stall in this situation is pretty much an unrecoverable event.

A deep stall has only been recoverable once and that was in a long ez piloted by Mike Melvill who admits he was lucky to be alive. He was testing the aft CG of the long ez. The most hated man in aviation has no idea where the aft limits of his CG are let alone the stall behavior!

Back