[rant] [PSA]Do Not Disturb

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Rant:

I have a status for "do not disturb" on MS Link (now skype)
I set this and I put my headphones on.

Without fail, this is when I start feeling people looking at me out of my peripheral vision. I look over and Dweezel is just praddling on to me completely unaware of the obvious signals I am sending that show me focused on not having a conversation.

Every single time.

I look and go "Sorry what? I was focused on this report" I remove my headphone from my left ear and say "1 sec, let me pause this really great song I was enjoying"

Turn to hear him continue asking about who might have designed some features of the building because he finds it curious that the room in front of us is round on the outside but square in the inside.

"yeah Dweezel that is a freaking trip. I can't wrap my head around it. You sure notice a lot of things."

PSA:
If you work in an office w/ lots of people coding, and doing things that require a lot of focus, look for clues they might be giving off that suggest they are approachable for your conversation about the new triangle batteries you saw on your trip to Vietnam

Do I interrupt this person?
Wearing Headphones, appears to be working. :no:
Quiet, focused, Deep stare at their screen: :no:
Status set to "Do Not Disturb" F**K:no:

Having coffee in breakroom :yes:
At desk, Relaxed posture, not focused :yes:

Just shoot a guy an IM or email if you have a question. If they are not busy they will probably engage you.

Ok, putting my headphones and DnD on I got work to do.

Last edited:
See the trailer for the baabaa black sheep remake yet?

Headphones were prohibited on one of my projects because people were ignoring each other.

1. Need an answer in a day or two: email
2. Need an answer when you get to a stopping point: IM
3. Need an answer now: Ask you in person

I'm not sure what you do. For me, good documentation, procedures, and coding practice reduces the amount of questions. If you have this and someone continues to resort to #3 then punch them in the face.

I sit elbow to elbow w/ a group of consultants.
I really have no issue if someone interrupts me to ask a work related question (to some extent)

There is so much nonsensical chit chat that goes on here which is fine in a breakroom but not ideal in a head down working area.

I have an expensive project that has aggressive deadlines. I don't have a ton of down time and there is a lot of visibility on the project and I want to work on it so I get kept around when it is a success.

Tell me about the funny thing your kid did at lunch or when I am grabbing coffee.

Even posting here now, I am able to do because I am waiting for a report to run.
Once it is done, the headphones go back on.

Didn't you say you're in a communal workspace with few walls between you and the others? If that's right, then try the WKRP Les Nessman method of shutting your door to indicate DND.

Alternatively, since you're pretty good at invention and construction, Add a small set of moving and blinking LED's to the top of the headband on your 'phones. Instruct others that when lit and moving, you're not to be distracted. Even if it's terribly distracting to them.

Last, talk to the upper banana's for a better and quieter spot to work.

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

8:40 AM
I hit DnD, pulled up my Decemberists playlist on Spotify and got working.
I get tapped on the shoulder and I S you not, Beavis goes "Hey man watch this video" he pulls up his phone and I swear to God I saw a video of: Russ getting a gopher out of a gopher hole using a milk carton full of water.

Now Russ wears coveralls and has a southern twang. He turns the milk carton upside down in the gopher hole and the water drains. I'll be dammed if the gopher didn't just crawl up into the jug. Russ seemed delighted in the video.

"Cool video thanks for sharing"

Headphones back on

Shoulder tap on the other side.

Dweezel: "Hey man, want to see what report looks like when I roll the numbers out for mislogged labor on the project?"

Me: "They probably decrease right?"

Dweezel: "Yeah. let me show you"

Damned if Dweezel didn't have one report on one monitor showing a report w/ 859 dollars less than the report on his other monitor.

Our bill rates are public because we do budgeting for the projects.
Dweezel and Beavis bill $90/hr

You need to discuss this with someone that can either authorize you some more private space or someone that can be an advocate for you in whatever your company process is to get you moved. I'm assuming that you've had a direct and serious conversation with the other members of your group.

I know you just recently took the job, and you probably don't want to look like a whiny little btch but if you say nothing and allow Beavis and Dweezel to continue to impact your quality of work without doing anything about it, you'll be the one at fault.

And why in god's name would any company think it would be a good idea to set up that kind of F'd Up working environment?!

Pull down on your 'my status' listing and there should be a red square, and horz white line in it that says: "do not disturb". Try that.

BTW, no matter what my status says, if my boss interrupts, I answer. He pays my bills, so my status for him is always 'available'.

Edit: Sorry, I mistaked. You already have it 'do not disturb'. Tell your supe that the interruptions are costing time and money.

Here's the thing, you appear to be too sociable. Even your avatar reeks of "Hey I'm a fun guy, go ahead and poke at me." What you need to do is develop some non verbal skills so that you can project, on demand, a persona that says "I killed a guy in prison for bugging me while I was reading Mein Kampf, and don't think I'm not prepared to go back if this gig doesn't work out."

Case in point, scenario: Sac at bar, semi intoxicated unattended girl on the other side of the corner, and an approaching "bud."

"Hey Sac, how you doing?"

"I'm busy."

It's as simple as that. It doesn't get more complicated. It means, I just, don't have time for you right now, I'm on a mission. I don't care if it affects our friendship. You can clearly see I have my game going on. You know not to f*** with me during the middle of an inning. If she goes to use the restroom, you may TEMPORARILY engage me in conversation as long as I don't have focus on defensive measures to keep other players in check. We had this conversation. That's why nobody likes you, you get in the middle of our business when we're focused and don't have time for you.

Just say it like it is. Or lie. "Sorry, I'm on a video teleconference right now with corporate, I can't be bothered."

"But, but, but that's Spotify."

"Yes, yes, we're developing an embedded app to combine streaming music with online shopping in a 3D virtual environment. Imagine strolling down an Amazon supermarket and picking items off the shelf with your mouse, all while hearing 70's elevator music."

"Dude, like that's, so awesome."

I dunno, I don't work well in crowds so I have a hard time relating as it applies to the workplace. If I don't want to be bothered I shut my door. If I'm outside of my home office and don't want to be bothered I'll go someplace else and work. Anyplace else. Even if it means dragging the laptop in to the bathroom.

I know the feeling.

Autopilot ON. Eyes CLOSED. Sleep ENGAGED.

"Bonanza 12345, contact..."

Someone uses Lync ?

Every company I have worked for in the last 6 years has either used Lync or Communicator. It is a very common (and believe it or not, useful) tool.

Microsoft got at least one thing right.

You need a sign that says "headphones on" do not disturb "headphones off" come on in. At least that is what my employees do and it works well here.

or an ON AIR light like we had back in my radio station days.

Headphones were prohibited on one of my projects because people were ignoring each other.

1. Need an answer in a day or two: email
2. Need an answer when you get to a stopping point: IM
3. Need an answer now: Ask you in person

I'm not sure what you do. For me, good documentation, procedures, and coding practice reduces the amount of questions. If you have this and someone continues to resort to #3 then punch them in the face.

#3 is the hard one for me. I work with the wife and she's the president and I'm the chief engineer. She's been trained to look at the computer screen when she comes into my office. If I'm running a CAD program or writing code, she knows to send an email or wait quietly until I can put all the juggling pins away. In return, I'm not allowed to snarl at her for interrupting, but I can take up to 10 seconds to get my head out of it and put on what I call my "retail smile".

Personally, I think nothing says, "you need to change your behavior and not bug me" like an upper-decker in the filing cabinet by the offenders desk.

some of the many reasons I work from home as much as possible ... that, plus the stupid commute gauntlet I have to run.

I'm friendly. I'm a salesman. I love to talk with people and I hate working alone. Nearly all the people I work with are engineers - software or tangible. Finally, finally, I've learned to Just Leave Them Alone.

Now that I run the sales team, I train my people: Do you truly need to interrupt this person. What if s/he was not in the building today?

If you must interrupt, begin the conversation with some version of "Is it okay if I interrupt you?"

That said, I bet 6PC is a pretty friendly-appearing guy who is a hoot to work with, so he probably does invite this.

If you must interrupt, begin the conversation with some version of "Is it okay if I interrupt you?"
:) but you just did ... :)

or "can I ask a quick question?"

"that's one." :)

My co-workers joke about poking the bear ... but I don't think I'm that bad ... besides, I enjoy it when they throw a cookie or a piece of jerky over the cubie wall before trying to ask a question

:) but you just did ... :)

or "can I ask a quick question?"

"that's one." :)

My co-workers joke about poking the bear ... but I don't think I'm that bad ... besides, I enjoy it when they throw a cookie or a piece of jerky over the cubie wall before trying to ask a question

Scooby Snacks! Great idea!

When I am super focused, I have had people talking to me for five minutes and I honestly didn't even realize they were there. This is probably one of the reasons I am divorced (I am still partners in my business with my ex, though, and we get along fine). It is pretty common for me to say "sorry, I missed that, please start over"

When I am super focused, I have had people talking to me for five minutes and I honestly didn't even realize they were there. This is probably one of the reasons I am divorced (I am still partners in my business with my ex, though, and we get along fine). It is pretty common for me to say "sorry, I missed that, please start over"

That reminds me of this one telephone conference between myself and a junior team member, and an extremely nitpicky client.

I was quite agitated. I guess the client was too. He droned on for about ten minutes straight calling out a list of things that he didn't like. Rather than addressing them as they came up, I just tuned out, let him ramble on, and at the end of the whole thing, I just said "I'm sorry, I missed that, can you say again?" (translation, I really don't give a f*** about anything you said, so don't waste your time repeating it.)

Junior team member busted up laughing. You could almost hear the steam building at the other end. By the way, you really, really don't want me working in a sales capacity.

I should go dig up one of my rants about open work areas. Been hating on that crap for a couple of decades now.

Whoever decided that drywall and paint weren't as cheap as expensive modular furniture that no one ever moves, or when they do, they pay the electricians a fortune to do it, and that no team could possibly ever work without seeing and hearing and smelling every other member all day, needs to be shot.

I remember having a shared actual office with a door when I was a lowly intern in the early 1990s. The next company had a mix for a few years. When I was managing a help desk the first time around in my 20s, I had a door to close so I could talk privately with staff. Nowadays I'd have to book a conference room.

After those, all companies since, have had the bull**** open work areas.

I still miss that frakking door. It was a real barrier that folks expected to be open when you were available and closed when you weren't.

Of course this is also before it became politically correct to interrupt people with chat systems constantly too. Folks are surprised I sometimes turn mine completely off. ("You weren't on chat! I didn't even know you were here!") LOL...

(Remember that whole "team must be able to see each other" BS? Yeah. The prairie dogs don't look anyway. They check your chat status. Turn off chat and half the people sitting 10 yards away won't even look to see if you're there.)

I've managed to locate myself against an outside window (absolutely sucks for the monitor glare), where you literally have to walk past the PFY and climb over his likes of dead computer parts to get to me.

There's a reason why I get more done when I work from home. Chat can even be on. Won't mean I'll pay any attention to the window though.

The context switching of chat and email can be truly stupefying. I have resorted to "Is there a ticket open for this?" more times than I can count for the truly evil offenders.

The smart ones have started putting the ticket link in their very first chat line... :)

I should go dig up one of my rants about open work areas. Been hating on that crap for a couple of decades now.

Whoever decided that drywall and paint weren't as cheap as expensive modular furniture that no one ever moves, or when they do, they pay the electricians a fortune to do it, and that no team could possibly ever work without seeing and hearing and smelling every other member all day, needs to be shot.

I remember having a shared actual office with a door when I was a lowly intern in the early 1990s. The next company had a mix for a few years. When I was managing a help desk the first time around in my 20s, I had a door to close so I could talk privately with staff. Nowadays I'd have to book a conference room.

After those, all companies since, have had the bull**** open work areas.

I still miss that frakking door. It was a real barrier that folks expected to be open when you were available and closed when you weren't.

Of course this is also before it became politically correct to interrupt people with chat systems constantly too. Folks are surprised I sometimes turn mine completely off. ("You weren't on chat! I didn't even know you were here!") LOL...

(Remember that whole "team must be able to see each other" BS? Yeah. The prairie dogs don't look anyway. They check your chat status. Turn off chat and half the people sitting 10 yards away won't even look to see if you're there.)

I've managed to locate myself against an outside window (absolutely sucks for the monitor glare), where you literally have to walk past the PFY and climb over his likes of dead computer parts to get to me.

There's a reason why I get more done when I work from home. Chat can even be on. Won't mean I'll pay any attention to the window though.

The context switching of chat and email can be truly stupefying. I have resorted to "Is there a ticket open for this?" more times than I can count for the truly evil offenders.

The smart ones have started putting the ticket link in their very first chat line... :)
PFY? :dunno:

I have no idea how a person can claim with a straight face that they're focused with music blaring in the ear buds jammed in their ears.

People at the office have been posting signs about what to do if they have earbuds jammed in their ears, they vary from "do not disturb when earbuds are in" to "tap on shoulder". I summarily ignore the signs.

I have no idea how a person can claim with a straight face that they're focused with music blaring in the ear buds jammed in their ears.
Different strokes.

Personally, I find them very distracting if I'm doing mentally intensive work. I even turn down/off the car radio when I get off the freeway if I'm driving to an unfamiliar destination on surface streets. :lol:

But during long and monotonous work, especially if I'm working at odd hours or haven't slept much or well, I'll play anything that isn't soothing.

When i have the ear buds in, in generally listening to nothing (just a visual dnd sign) or something a bit more mellow. I used to listen heavy stuff but I'm trying to save my ears from further damage. I'm in a decemberists kick right now. That its good music for me to work by. Less distracting than metal

Different strokes.

Personally, I find them very distracting if I'm doing mentally intensive work. I even turn down/off the car radio when I get off the freeway if I'm driving to an unfamiliar destination on surface streets. :lol:

But during long and monotonous work, especially if I'm working at odd hours or haven't slept much or well, I'll play anything that isn't soothing.

Haha I cannot drive in an unfamiliar area with the radio on.

When i have the ear buds in, in generally listening to nothing (just a visual dnd sign) or something a bit more mellow. I used to listen heavy stuff but I'm trying to save my ears from further damage. I'm in a decemberists kick right now. That its good music for me to work by. Less distracting than metal

My son made me listen to some Decembrists a few months back.

It did not suck donkey balls.

Prolly because they stole so much thematically from Yes, U2, and Yardbirds.

Back