Rant (hep me) MS Word document, protected view

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Nevermind, forget about the rant, I'll just get straight to the point. I've been storing certain Word files on my Hotmail Onedrive space for backup, and editing outside the office. Here's the problem.

Once I've uploaded it to Onedrive, and download it someplace, the document gets marked with some attribute that says "This document was downloaded from the Internet.... bla bla..." and then there is some "enable editing" button I need to push.

This is extremely hella annoying, is there any way I can reset that attribute? I can't figure it out. I can't find anything in the document properties to change this. I know I can change the "protected view" settings in Word, but I just want to de-taint my document. It's like it's been... defiled, and marked as such.

(Edit: BAH! Nevermind -- just reread your post and realized I was giving you what you already knew regarding the trust center. Carry on . . .)

Last edited:
...and folks wonder why I still use WordPerfect...

Wordpad is a simple word processor that comes free with Windows. Look in Accessories in the Applications.

If you are writing basic documents, for example a letter, it is enough. Save as an rtf document, and it can be opened with almost anything anywhere, without weird stuff going on that's outside your control

Wordpad doesn't quite get it for me. I use styles, auto generated tables of contents, graphics, tables, etc....

Also I just Googled Word Perfect. It looks like they have an MS Office knockoff now. But for the price of it you might as well stick with MS Office.

Actually, I'm more shocked that it's still around...

Wordpad doesn't quite get it for me. I use styles, auto generated tables of contents, graphics, tables, etc....

Also I just Googled Word Perfect. It looks like they have an MS Office knockoff now. But for the price of it you might as well stick with MS Office.

It's not a "knockoff" - it's full-featured (and always has been). They do have (and advertise) compatibility with Word, etc., but for straight-up word processing, it is vastly superior to Word. They've managed to "hang in there" with decent market share (notably, in the legal market) and (still) decent support; one big difference is that, in WP world, new releases and file formats do not render older releases inoperative, like Word does.

I know I'll have to change (eventually), but only because of file-exchange, and it will cost us a lot in productivity. Nothing like trying to chase down the "why's it doing THAT?" issues in Word; simply not an issue with WP, where every action can be easily observed and (as desired) changed, because every change is evidenced by a clearly-displayed code.

It's not a "knockoff" - it's full-featured (and always has been). They do have (and advertise) compatibility with Word, etc., but for straight-up word processing, it is vastly superior to Word. They've managed to "hang in there" with decent market share (notably, in the legal market) and (still) decent support; one big difference is that, in WP world, new releases and file formats do not render older releases inoperative, like Word does.

I know I'll have to change (eventually), but only because of file-exchange, and it will cost us a lot in productivity. Nothing like trying to chase down the "why's it doing THAT?" issues in Word; simply not an issue with WP, where every action can be easily observed and (as desired) changed, because every change is evidenced by a clearly-displayed code.

Interesting to know. One gripe I have always had with Word is that it is too easy to have your document "blow up" on you if you manage to zot the wrong hidden code or section break. But I can generally manage. The problem is that I'm kind of stuck with MS Office as Word and Excel file compatibility, as it is a requirement in my industry. Open Office and Libre Office support file compatibility with the new .docx and .xlsx formats, but some of the advanced formatting is lost, like auto generated TOC's and style applications. I don't know if Word Perfect would do a better job of retaining compatibility with those features. I need them for reports.

Interesting to know. One gripe I have always had with Word is that it is too easy to have your document "blow up" on you if you manage to zot the wrong hidden code or section break. But I can generally manage. The problem is that I'm kind of stuck with MS Office as Word and Excel file compatibility, as it is a requirement in my industry. Open Office and Libre Office support file compatibility with the new .docx and .xlsx formats, but some of the advanced formatting is lost, like auto generated TOC's and style applications. I don't know if Word Perfect would do a better job of retaining compatibility with those features. I need them for reports.

WP does pretty well with the MS formats, but it is not always perfect, because MS keeps changing formats (older versions of Word can't read newer Word docs, either). If I'm doing interchange docs that have to be edited, I usually save in RTF format, which is an open standard. If not for editing, I just use PDF which helps in other ways, too.

I know I'll likely have to give in at some point, but it becomes increasingly unappealing, as Microsoft moves further into the software as a service model.

You know I am not much of a fanboy of Microsoft, but in all fairness, they have gotten a lot better about errant markup weirdness.

You know I am not much of a fanboy of Microsoft, but in all fairness, they have gotten a lot better about errant markup weirdness.

That's sorta like saying I got turned into a Newt and then I got better...

Word will still re-arrange everything for you at the drop of a hat... (or less)

That's sorta like saying I got turned into a Newt and then I got better...

Word will still re-arrange everything for you at the drop of a hat... (or less)

Yes I am struggling with that as we speak. I'm trying to convert a document created a few years ago which had been haphazardly formatted, and I'm trying to apply the current style. All attempts to import the new style either result in the document imploding, or a failure get formatting right, even if "remove all formatting" first. It's easier just to start with a fresh document and copy the old stuff in as text.

I've always avoided the markup change problem by typing the entire document into a brain dead text editor first and then copy and pasting into Word and marking it up only then.

LOL.

For those who know how to read without pretty fonts, and who can open a couple of diagrams attached to the text file in a Zip file, I just send them the text.

They're relatively rare people. Far too many think communication includes a need for "fonts".

I've always avoided the markup change problem by typing the entire document into a brain dead text editor first and then copy and pasting into Word and marking it up only then.

LOL.

For those who know how to read without pretty fonts, and who can open a couple of diagrams attached to the text file in a Zip file, I just send them the text.

They're relatively rare people. Far too many think communication includes a need for "fonts".

I have a client to whom I send 10 PDFs of site stats every month. Once I got the bright idea of zipping them up to make it easier for him to sort them by month.

Bad idea. He had no idea how to extract a ZIP archive.

The weird thing was that this guy had been in some sort of electronic intelligence rating in the Navy. You'd think he had to extract a ZIP file somewhere along the way, no? I guess not.

Rich

Back