Rant class

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
I nominate our resident rant critic, @Clark1961 , to teach the fundamentals of ranting. He seems to be full of it, errr, knowledge. We expect a full presentation to include slides

:D

What is the compensation offer?

Undying gratitude, official designation as PoA's CRI, adulation from the nubile young starlets that lurk here, a commercial endorsement from Sac, what more do you want?

Well if you insist on compensating attendees, I think giving them about $200 each would be a start. Then maybe give them your credit card number at the end.
Reading comprehension is on the prerequisites list. No rant class for you!

Undying gratitude, official designation as PoA's CRI, adulation from the nubile young starlets that lurk here, a commercial endorsement from Sac, what more do you want?
I am already the rant critic of POA, Sac and I are at war so no one would believe him and there are no starlets lurking. No rant class for you.

SAC could mention you in his next book.

The next (overdue) issue of "As the Propeller Turns" could mention you.

As mentioned already, you paying the attendees would go a long way also.

I guess we are just going to have to wait for the Sporty's video training series...:sigh:

I think autocorrect messed up your post. You must have meant “... sterile young noobies... “

EVERYBODY knows cute young girls want to marry pilots. What better place for thousands of them to be lurking than here on PoA? Of course their challenge is sorting out the grumpy old men and Ford pickup truck owners from the eligible Ray-Ban wearing "stunt pilots". ;)

EVERYBODY knows cute young girls want to marry pilots. What better place for thousands of them to be lurking than here on PoA? Of course their challenge is sorting out the grumpy old men and Ford pickup truck owners from the eligible Ray-Ban wearing "stud pilots". ;)
FTFA>

Wait a minute... I'm a certified Gold Seal RI thank you.

EVERYBODY knows cute young girls want to marry pilots. What better place for thousands of them to be lurking than here on PoA? Of course their challenge is sorting out the grumpy old men and Ford pickup truck owners from the eligible Ray-Ban wearing "stunt pilots". ;)

My personal experience disagrees. Cute young girls want to marry guys who will buy them horses. Love isn’t grand; it’s about five or six hundred grand, and counting.

My personal experience disagrees. Cute young girls want to marry guys who will buy them horses. Love isn’t grand; it’s about five or six hundred grand, and counting.

Okay, as the long-suffering husband of a multiple-horse owning wife, you got me there.

And, yes, my repeated observation to her that "I only have one airplane" has proved utterly ineffective.

Even though the male:female ratio is large here, the pickings are pretty slim... ;)

Well we did notice you abandoned us to take up sailing...:p :cool:
Took the basic keelboat class and wanting to practice! Oops, I'm looking in the wrong place...

I found out that you can't solo (singlehand) a sailboat when you are new, and probably not until you have your own boat to set up that way. The club I joined doesn't allow it. Besides, I'm a newbie and don't have enough hands for everything. It's definitely more of a social sport than flying. Grumpy old men (and women) probably have trouble finding crew.

Last edited:
Even though the male:female ratio is large here, the pickings are pretty slim... ;)

Thank you! I haven’t been referred to as slim in many years.

Ga Tech had a similar ratio. The girls used to say, “The odds are pretty good, but the goods are pretty odd.”

Took the basic keelboat class and wanting to practice! Oops, I'm looking in the wrong place...

I found out that you can't solo (singlehand) a sailboat when you are new, and probably not until you have your own boat to set up that way. The club I joined doesn't allow it. Besides, I'm a newbie and don't have enough hands for everything. It's definitely more of a social sport than flying. Grumpy old men (and women) probably have trouble finding crew.

Sailing is more fun with other people.

When I was quite a bit younger I used to singlehand a very fast J-24 One-Design off the west coast, where I grew up. My brother owned it and was a serious racer. I got to use it when he moved on to Olympic Star Boats.

Now I live in the mountains, don't find time to get out to the coast to sail as often as I would like, and prefer a gentler cruise with family or friends over hiking straps and working the traveller. I think you've gone in the opposite direction geographically.

What does your club have?
Sunfish, Lasers, Optimist prams,and most cat boats just need a hand for the main sheet and one for the tiller and are easily sailed solo. There is a certain amount of coordination needed when tacking or gybing.

What does your club have?
Sunfish, Lasers, Optimist prams,and most cat boats just need a hand for the main sheet and one for the tiller and are easily sailed solo. There is a certain amount of coordination needed when tacking or gybing.
The smallest boats they have (and the ones they use for basic keelboat) are Catalina Capri 22s. No way you can keep your hand on the tiller and reach all the lines and winches.

Besides, it's more fun with others, for me anyway. My initial problem was finding "others", since I am new to the area and my existing relatives and friends have no interest in sailing. I think I have that problem mostly fixed now, though. It just takes some effort to be social.

Capri-on-Water-1_lg.jpg

Last edited:
The smallest boats they have (and the ones they use for basic keelboat) are Catalina Capri 22s. No way you can keep your hand on the tiller and reach all the lines and winches.

Besides, it's more fun with others, for me anyway. My initial problem was finding "others", since I am new to the area and my existing relatives and friends have no interest in sailing. I think I have that problem mostly fixed now, though. It just takes some effort to be social.

Capri-on-Water-1_lg.jpg
Nice boats. Once you get into winches, it is more difficult to solo.

Nice boats. Once you get into winches, it is more difficult to solo.

Yes it is. One of my Summer high school jobs was to crew on boats ferrying from Puerto Rico to Florida. Got a lot of good experience doing that. We owned a Hobie 16 though. That thing was a blast to sail.

Yes it is. One of my Summer high school jobs was to crew on boats ferrying from Puerto Rico to Florida. Got a lot of good experience doing that. We owned a Hobie 16 though. That thing was a blast to sail.
Those are fun, but they sail to windward like a raft in lighter winds.

Wait a minute... I'm a certified Gold Seal RI thank you.

That might mean you earned it long ago, and haven’t passed anyone since. ;)

Okay, as the long-suffering husband of a multiple-horse owning wife, you got me there.

And, yes, my repeated observation to her that "I only have one airplane" has proved utterly ineffective.

“The airplane we have won’t carry horses...”

Capri-on-Water-1_lg.jpg

This is when you start thinking about buying your own and outfitting it for solo sailing... and you join that crazy PoA boat thread.

Been watching some YT of the folks that video their solo sailing stuff. Some are stark raving nuts. The guy who crosses the North Sea in winter gales is particularly crazy. There’s an old USAF guy who’s retired and living in France who is a lot less insane about it.

This is when you start thinking about buying your own and outfitting it for solo sailing... and you join that crazy PoA boat thread.

Been watching some YT of the folks that video their solo sailing stuff. Some are stark raving nuts. The guy who crosses the North Sea in winter gales is particularly crazy. There’s an old USAF guy who’s retired and living in France who is a lot less insane about it.
Haha, I'm not into long distance, solo, sailing, just like I wasn't into long distance flying. I would get bored with my own company. Besides, the thing I enjoy about sailing, and flying, is maneuvering. I am finding that learning a new skill is the interesting part.

Haha, I'm not into long distance, solo, sailing, just like I wasn't into long distance flying. I would get bored with my own company. Besides, the thing I enjoy about sailing, and flying, is maneuvering. I am finding that learning a new skill is the interesting part.

Ever try a motorcycle?

Few things more fun than a fast bike on a twisty road.

Ever try a motorcycle?

Few things more fun than a fast bike on a twisty road.
Yes, had a motorcycle when I was younger and lived in rural Missouri. It was fun, then I moved to a place where there was more traffic and I didn't find it fun anymore.

Yeah. Have a family member who is a sailing nut. Which is cool. Not my thing but he was always messing with configuring them to sail solo for the same reason you ran into, his circle wasn’t super interested in sailing at the time. Pretty neat all the stuff you can do to configure them that way.

Now he’s on the east coast and spends his free time building small boats for underprivileged families so they can enjoy going out on the water. Tiny little things but they sail fine in calm weather. The charity he works thru buys all the materials and a team of volunteers builds the boat and then presents it to the family and helps them figure out how they’ll transport them, where they can keep them cheaply, etc.

I love sailing, but the family didn't as they got bored quickly covering the same few miles of lake.

I love sailing, but the family didn't as they got bored quickly covering the same few miles of lake.
That's why I was never inspired to learn sailing when I lived in Colorado. Now I can sail on San Francisco Bay, and the sailing community is a lot bigger. Even though I didn't have existing friends or family who sailed, it is easier than I expected to meet others who are looking for crew.

Now he’s on the east coast and spends his free time building small boats for underprivileged families so they can enjoy going out on the water. Tiny little things but they sail fine in calm weather. The charity he works thru buys all the materials and a team of volunteers builds the boat and then presents it to the family and helps them figure out how they’ll transport them, where they can keep them cheaply, etc.
Hmmm....laudable, but brings to mind a nominee for Shortest Book in the World Award: “Favorite Poor People Met While Sailing”.

Hmmm....laudable, but brings to mind a nominee for Shortest Book in the World Award: “Favorite Poor People Met While Sailing”.

LOL. Yeah kinda like that other short story, ”Zen and the Art of Paying for Airplane Maintenance”. :)

LOL. Yeah kinda like that other short story, ”Zen and the Art of Paying for Airplane Maintenance”. :)
I know that there are programs around here that introduce underprivileged kids to sailing. There isn’t a huge financial barrier to entry for crew. It’s only when you buy a boat. Even then, you can own one for much less expense than owning an airplane.

Back