Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
There was a movie made a couple years ago. Maybe it was more like five. I don't know, I'm not bothering to look it up. Wait, the only time I watch movies is on Cathay Pacific business class headed to assignment in SE Asia. So, place it... let me think... about six years ago. The Hurt Locker.

The Hurt Locker. About an army dude deployed in Afghanistan who defuses IED's and stuff. That part is unimportant. What is important is that the dude obviously... f-hated being home. He hated it. He couldn't relate. He had a family and stuff. He couldn't relate. He didn't belong there. I don't know, why am I going there, not sure.

Okay so... here's the thing. Menus are important. They are. Some people think they aren't but they are. I get it if the menu is in a language that I can barely comprehend but in my experience Gai Tom is shrimp salad. Ca Chien is fried fish. Bo Xeo Rau is stir fried beef with vegetables. Chicken Ceasar Salad is chicken, romaine lettuce, and some kind of dressing that comes out of a bottle. When you look at a menu, and you order a Chicken Ceasar Salad not because you actually want a Chicken Ceasar Salad, but it is the ONLY thing that DOESN'T have BEANS and a TORTILLA, it's because you are ordering it because you don't want BEANS or TORTILLA. NOT because you hope that they will put those in there anyway, it's because you DON"T WANT THEM.

Yeah. Guess what showed up. Is that mine? It's in a bloody f tortilla smothered with black beans out of a can and by the way it's all stale and the chicken is dry. I nearly threw the entire f thing away but politely nibbled through some of it and threw most of it away. I won't say which restaurant it is but it's a national chain that isn't Taco Bell. It's name is suggestive of two canine animals that aren't exactly dogs but close to it. The salad I had wasn't exactly a dog but I like dogs so I am not going to denigrate dogs by associating them with that salad.

Oh yeah, right, the other part of the thread. I'm just thinking out loud here. I paid like three or four bucks for a Valentine's day card which has been unnoticed, obviously unwanted and there is no reciprocal one anyway. I don't even know why I bought it. I don't even know why I came back to the States. I wonder if I can still return it? I wrote on it and sealed it. They could probably reuse the card, I only signed it so they could probably erase that. The envelope is trashed, so yes I'm in to an envelope. Yeah that is being cheap I guess. I feel so much like a pilot.

I can't sleep. I am in a different time zone and I feel I should be diffusing bombs or maybe not that but perhaps solving technical problems deep within jungle forests without running water and that have rats large enough that you could put vests on them with the logo of your local cricket team, and why these people watch cricket for five days straight in the middle of the jungle where there is likely a bald headed American dude that tosses severed heads in to bamboo cages with imprisoned lieutenants in them I don't know, but I guess what else do you do in a place like that. (Where the hell do they get their TV? They have power obviously.) And they have beer. Lots of beer.

I'm home anyway. No, I'm not home. I'm back. Hi.

Hi! (he said brightly)

Ouch. Welcome back. Hopefully you will find normalcy in your spin class.

I’ve never seen drinking improve a situation like you describe. I know, I know. Nag nag nag. Just sayin.

Make good things happen, with your actions. Get out there and do good, interesting things.

Oh, and : Eat a bun and leave a beer in the fridge for God’s sake. Lol

Last edited:
I think I married your sister.

I won't say which restaurant it is but it's a national chain that isn't Taco Bell. It's name is suggestive of two canine animals that aren't exactly dogs but close to it. The salad I had wasn't exactly a dog but I like dogs so I am not going to denigrate dogs by associating them with that salad.

Man, my pun detector must be broken ... Fox and Coyote Cafe? Two Wolf Inn? Weasel and Dingo Diner? not getting even close?

I'm back. Hi.

Hi back atcha ...

Man, my pun detector must be broken ... Fox and Coyote Cafe? Two Wolf Inn? Weasel and Dingo Diner? not getting even close?

Hi back atcha ...

Fox & Hound maybe. But I don’t think they exist in Sac’s neck of the woods.

I won't say which restaurant it is but it's a national chain that isn't Taco Bell. It's name is suggestive of two canine animals that aren't exactly dogs but close to it. The salad I had wasn't exactly a dog but I like dogs so I am not going to denigrate dogs by associating them with that salad.

I assume for the purposes of this rant that the nation exists entirely within Northern California.

Dos Hombres?

--

We went to a local Chinese place last night. New owner - they didn't know that when Valentine's Day rolls around all the guys in town go out for Chinese. The 2 ladies in the kitchen and the lady that owns the place and was waiting tables were slammed. They eventually were telling people (the ones they recognized as regulars), "I don't have time to ring you up, pay next time!"

I assume for the purposes of this rant that the nation exists entirely within Northern California.

Made me look it up. Okay, yes, they appear to only be in Northern California. I would swear up and down I saw them in other states. Then again I swear up and down a lot these days.

Dos Coyotes.

I don’t know. Only been to CA twice. Once to Ft Irwin, once to MCACG 29 Palms.

Neither involved much opportunity for liberty.

I've been to NTC Ft. Irwin as well. Twice, actually.

I never understood the manufactured holidays of Mother's day, Father's day, and Valentine's day.. and for what it's worth the backstory to saint Valentine is kind of a sad and morbid one

Incidentally these holidays are also particularly hard for people who are not only single, but who have had a parent or both pass away..

I went to Ralphs last night to pick up some beef so I can make bolognese and the guy in front of me was buying those generic roses (that come in the cellophane wrapper and are marked up to like $30), chocolate sauce, strawberries, and a Hallmark card.. the whole scene just annoyed me.. and for what? I get people you love and are loved want to feel special but why not show them that every day through small actions. I never could figure out why Valentine's day was so important.. and frankly if you're going out to a restaurant on Valentine's day the food and service usually sucks and you have to pick from a reduced menu and they shuffle you in and out within an hour

But for whatever reason most of society enjoys living in a fake fabricated contrived world.. and then there are those of us on the outside who observe

okay sorry I didn't mean to hijack your rant and I don't really think this qualifies as a rant anyway

Carry on!

Oh yeah, right, the other part of the thread. I'm just thinking out loud here. I paid like three or four bucks for a Valentine's day card which has been unnoticed, obviously unwanted and there is no reciprocal one anyway. I don't even know why I bought it. I don't even know why I came back to the States. I wonder if I can still return it? I wrote on it and sealed it. They could probably reuse the card, I only signed it so they could probably erase that. The envelope is trashed, so yes I'm in to an envelope. Yeah that is being cheap I guess. I feel so much like a pilot.

And then there's the recipient of this card and flowers. Saw it at the gas station 14 January. There's a statement there...

mmexport1550279485549.jpg

I got lucky this year. Out of town for work on Valentine's day. So I can take her to the same place next week, order from a full menu and take all the time I want for dinner. Oh, and no card.

You poor jaded bastards. I bought a dozen roses on Sunday (Costco, $16-ish). She was thrilled, she loves roses. Yesterday morning she tells me she hopes I'm OK with not getting a card or anything, since we pretty much ignore Valentine's Day any more. Yeah, I'm good with us not wasting $10 on cards for each other. We worked out the finer points later on.

Sac, I hear you about substandard food and incomplete menus. One reason we avoid nearly all chain restaurants. They're so generic we refer to them as "Chotchkie's".

Let me guess both at the same time, your first and your last. :D

No, two separate mobilizations. Both from Ft. Hood, Tx. 1st Cavalry Division. (Incidentally the unit depicted in the movie Apocalypse Now.)

I never understood the manufactured holidays of Mother's day, Father's day, and Valentine's day.. and for what it's worth the backstory to saint Valentine is kind of a sad and morbid one

Incidentally these holidays are also particularly hard for people who are not only single, but who have had a parent or both pass away..

I went to Ralphs last night to pick up some beef so I can make bolognese and the guy in front of me was buying those generic roses (that come in the cellophane wrapper and are marked up to like $30), chocolate sauce, strawberries, and a Hallmark card.. the whole scene just annoyed me.. and for what? I get people you love and are loved want to feel special but why not show them that every day through small actions. I never could figure out why Valentine's day was so important.. and frankly if you're going out to a restaurant on Valentine's day the food and service usually sucks and you have to pick from a reduced menu and they shuffle you in and out within an hour

But for whatever reason most of society enjoys living in a fake fabricated contrived world.. and then there are those of us on the outside who observe

okay sorry I didn't mean to hijack your rant and I don't really think this qualifies as a rant anyway

Carry on!

It’s okay, I bestow rant honors on you.

Carry on.

For just about all holidays my wife pulls out our old cards from before we had kids ( 8&10yo). They get put out for about a week (apparently her grandparents did the same thing) We read them have a laugh and move on. Married 12 years now. Haven’t got cards for each other since we had kids really.
Some of my friends go nuts getting all
Kinda of crazy stuff. We keep it simple. Will surprise each other a couple times a year with something that we probably wouldn’t have bought for ourselves.

I have a song for you.

Listen to Margo, she knows what's going on.

I actually saw them live about fifteen years ago at a Jazz festival. Maybe longer ago than that. They were new and hadn't hit it big yet.

There was a movie made a couple years ago. Maybe it was more like five. I don't know, I'm not bothering to look it up. Wait, the only time I watch movies is on Cathay Pacific business class headed to assignment in SE Asia. So, place it... let me think... about six years ago. The Hurt Locker.

The Hurt Locker. About an army dude deployed in Afghanistan who defuses IED's and stuff. That part is unimportant. What is important is that the dude obviously... f-hated being home. He hated it. He couldn't relate. He had a family and stuff. He couldn't relate. He didn't belong there. I don't know, why am I going there, not sure.

Okay so... here's the thing. Menus are important. They are. Some people think they aren't but they are. I get it if the menu is in a language that I can barely comprehend but in my experience Gai Tom is shrimp salad. Ca Chien is fried fish. Bo Xeo Rau is stir fried beef with vegetables. Chicken Ceasar Salad is chicken, romaine lettuce, and some kind of dressing that comes out of a bottle. When you look at a menu, and you order a Chicken Ceasar Salad not because you actually want a Chicken Ceasar Salad, but it is the ONLY thing that DOESN'T have BEANS and a TORTILLA, it's because you are ordering it because you don't want BEANS or TORTILLA. NOT because you hope that they will put those in there anyway, it's because you DON"T WANT THEM.

Yeah. Guess what showed up. Is that mine? It's in a bloody f tortilla smothered with black beans out of a can and by the way it's all stale and the chicken is dry. I nearly threw the entire f thing away but politely nibbled through some of it and threw most of it away. I won't say which restaurant it is but it's a national chain that isn't Taco Bell. It's name is suggestive of two canine animals that aren't exactly dogs but close to it. The salad I had wasn't exactly a dog but I like dogs so I am not going to denigrate dogs by associating them with that salad.

I can't sleep. I am in a different time zone and I feel I should be diffusing bombs or maybe not that but perhaps solving technical problems deep within jungle forests without running water and that have rats large enough that you could put vests on them with the logo of your local cricket team, and why these people watch cricket for five days straight in the middle of the jungle where there is likely a bald headed American dude that tosses severed heads in to bamboo cages with imprisoned lieutenants in them I don't know, but I guess what else do you do in a place like that. (Where the hell do they get their TV? They have power obviously.) And they have beer. Lots of beer.

I'm home anyway. No, I'm not home. I'm back. Hi.

This, _this_ is the Sac ranting in full form. I knew he still had it in him! Go Sac!

I paid like three or four bucks for a Valentine's day card which has been unnoticed, obviously unwanted and there is no reciprocal one anyway. I don't even know why I bought it. I don't even know why I came back to the States. I wonder if I can still return it?
This made me sad. I hope you’re doing okay.

Back