Rant #1022 Pilot Reports - Throw a guy a bone...

Well I find them useful, especially for icing. Perhaps once you get some experience you will too.

No--that's the point. Oh and what's your experience again?
Not arguing the benefit... they most definitely are, however they're only beneficial if somebody actually takes the time to report, and you're in the general vicinity to see/avoid whatever it is they're reporting.

Not arguing the benefit... they most definitely are, however they're only beneficial if somebody actually takes the time to report, and you're in the general vicinity to see/avoid whatever it is they're reporting.

True, I'm only interested in PIREPs along my route, otherwise why would I care? And you keep avoiding my question-- what's your experience?

You know he flies 121, right?
I thought the conversation was about the PPL guys who don't do PIREPS. Not the professionals. Even then, I understand the OP's question of why doesn't anybody (whether PPL or CL rated) do any consistent reporting. The information I pull basically confirms his position. Nobody communicates anymore... even the professionals! :(

easy way to get accurate tops reports
buy skew t-log app on iphone 10 bucks
read and learn how to interpret the dew point and humidity
use the app and develop confidence on it
extremely accurate
right now in dallas is showing tops at 5500 feet and clouds being at 1300 looking outside about that amount
i have confirmed the accuracy of the system multiple times
you can get the same info for anywhere in USA

when weather conditions are IMC i always depend on it most of the time in the southwest weather is 3500 feet tops and clear above never an issue for someone with an instrument ticket

Is there any chance the web site people can give us the option to just block all post by a particular user? The avatar could be something like a picture of a muzzle and the post can look like CIA redacted bold black lines.

It's called 'ignore' and it works okay, unless other users quote someone I have on ignore, then their post shows up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easy way to get accurate tops reports
buy skew t-log app on iphone 10 bucks
read and learn how to interpret the dew point and humidity
use the app and develop confidence on it
extremely accurate
right now in dallas is showing tops at 5500 feet and clouds being at 1300 looking outside about that amount
i have confirmed the accuracy of the system multiple times
you can get the same info for anywhere in USA

when weather conditions are IMC i always depend on it most of the time in the southwest weather is 3500 feet tops and clear above never an issue for someone with an instrument ticket
You should know the difference between a forecast and an observation.

@Captain Larry I agree with you on PIREPS.

Here in FL there are a lot of reports in the FL's from big iron going through, but rarely do see the occasional report from a 172 or Cherokee, etc. They definitely are helpful when they come in, especially in the summer months when convective activity can bubble up quite quickly.

I've been asked a few times by tower about ceilings and layer thickness and I always comply, but I'll admit it's usually ONLY when asked. Even though I hear the PIREPs are encouraged from FSS and tower I don't always actually do the report.

There is a really nifty PIREP form right on the faa website that I carry along with me for reports, in case anyone wants it, link is here:

https://www.faa.gov/c/content/dam/faa/air-traffic/flight_service/documents/PIREP_FORM.pdf

Back