Random thoughts from a long XC

BrianR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BrianR
Having just returned from a 1700 nm round trip to the midwest, my longest (by far) trip as a private pilot to date, here are a few of my thoughts, in no particular order. The trip was made in the club 182Q with a Garmin 430, STEC 60 and my iPad with ForeFlight:

1. I was lucky. I was able to depart and return home on the scheduled days, exactly as planned. As a VFR pilot, the odds of not encountering weather delays making a trip halfway across the country are not all that great. I did cross a frontal system on the way out, but it involved little more than a few bumps and dodging some cumulus clouds while westbound.

2. If I intend to do this on any kind of a regular basis, an instrument rating would be nice to have...as would onboard weather.

3. ATC was great. I received VFR flight following for the entire trip, and was only abruptly dumped once...over rural Indiana. However, the controller gave me the frequency for the next sector, and they picked me up immediately. Even the Chicago Center controller, who answered my initial call with, "Skylane Nxxxxx, why are you calling me?" calmed down after I replied, "Uhh, because the last controller handed me off to you." "Oh. Ok, standby."

4. It's pretty cool to cross above a major airport (CLE in my case) 500 feet above the class B ceiling and watch the jets arrive and depart below you. I only got one vector for traffic, otherwise never heard a word from ATC.

5. Speaking of traffic, a portable traffic device would have been nice. I think I spotted one of perhaps 10-15 planes called out to me as traffic during the entire trip.

6. A lot of GA airports are underutilized.

7. The BBQ at TZR (Bolton Field) outside of Columbus, OH is indeed worth raving about. The restaurant is a 30 second walk from the parking area! In fact, the FBO facilities were exceptionally nice, and the fueler didn't even get upset when I decided I really wanted more than I'd already gotten for the last leg home, and he had to come back a second time.

8. !00LL is cheaper everywhere than at Landmark in Syracuse.

9. Between 3 and 3.5 hours really is a practical limit for a leg in a plane the size of a 182. Even when my bladder could hold out longer, my butt was sore and I really wanted to stretch my legs.

10. Most embarrassing overheard conversation on the radio: A Cherokee departed a small airport inbound to a nearby class C field. The pilot had missed or ignored several radio calls. Finally, in frustration, the controller said, "Cherokee Nxxxxx, there appears to be something wrong with your gyro. You're not doing too well at holding the assigned heading." The pilot shot back with, "I don't appreciate your comment about my airplane." After a couple testy exchanges, the controller stopped responding to the guy's provocations, but finally added, "I can give you a phone number if you'd like to call and speak with the supervisor. That's me." The pilot just continued egging the controller on. What a jerk. I'm pretty sure everybody else on the frequency would've liked to reach out and choke the pilot.

11. I'd consider an autopilot almost a necessity for a trip of this length, even VFR. Of course, I can hand-fly the entire trip, but not having to do so allowed me to be more relaxed, monitor for traffic, and play Draw Something on my iPad. :lol: Seriously, it made the trip much more enjoyable.

12. Two planned meet-ups with fellow pilots/POA members did not take place. :sad: One, because of a family emergency, and the other...well, who knows? Despite prior plans to get together, the member chose to ignore messages while I was there. Oh well, I'm sure he had his reasons.

13. The Iowa Aviation Museum is a real gem. Located in Greenfield, Iowa, right at the airport, it has something like 16 airplanes on display, as well as other items and a library. Despite living in Iowa for 20 years, I did not even know it was there until recently. I'll post some pictures later in another thread in the Cool Places to Fly forum.

14. I could have made three roundtrips on Delta for what this flight cost me, at the hourly rate for the 182. However, I didn't get into aviation thinking it would be cheap. :D In fact, not having to deal with the TSA, taking whatever liquids I wanted, and coming and going as I pleased was probably worth the cost!

One day when I have my PPL and some money I have a similar trip planned...KLZU to Camdenton memorial airport in Missouri to visit my folks then to KLXT to visit some friends, then back. Probably around 1300 miles total.

I have done similar trips ever since I got my PP, it was the primary reason I got my PP. I have not needed my IR to do it yet but it sure is good to have.

One day when I have my PPL and some money I have a similar trip planned...KLZU to Camdenton memorial airport in Missouri to visit my folks then to KLXT to visit some friends, then back. Probably around 1300 miles total.

That's one of the (many) reasons I wanted to get my ticket, in order to make trips such as this!

Still, as a fairly new PP (<200 hrs) it was a bit daunting, but I did learn some stuff. And crosswinds...yeah, before this trip I thought a 5-10 kt crosswind was right up there! I don't think I made one landing in the midwest where winds weren't at least 10-20 gusting to 25 or so...and every one of them involved a significant crosswind component. I'm much more comfortable with that now! :D

My first trip (wet PP with 41.5) like this I learned that you can have both NAV radios fail over the Grand Canyon and get vectors all the way across the country.:rofl:

Seriously, as I was on my way out over the GC I lost both, a KX-155 and a Narco head unit. I was on FF so I called ATC "2808T I've lost both my NAV radios just now. I'm fine to navigate but if it looks like I'm gonna bust some airspace I'd appreciate a heads up." "Understood, would you like vectors to Alamosa?" "that would be excellent, thanks" "Come right 5 degrees and hold that for a while." Every now and then I'd get a correction. When I was coming into Alamosa for fuel! I was tols to keep my squawk and call when airborne again. Got Vectors to Coffee County Kansas for the next stop and then on into Spirit of St.Louis. That was the beginning of a great relationship with ATC. As many people I have heard complain about them, I can never manage to commiserate.

Even the Chicago Center controller, who answered my initial call with, "Skylane Nxxxxx, why are you calling me?" calmed down after I replied, "Uhh, because the last controller handed me off to you." "Oh. Ok, standby."

"Oh, you know us VFR pilots. I just call up random controllers along my route and ask them what they're wearing."

Sheesh. Chicago.

14. I could have made three roundtrips on Delta for what this flight cost me, at the hourly rate for the 182. However, I didn't get into aviation thinking it would be cheap. :D In fact, not having to deal with the TSA, taking whatever liquids I wanted, and coming and going as I pleased was probably worth the cost!

They also frown at you singing at the top of your lungs when a good song comes on the iPod. ;)

Sounds like a fun trip.

What kinds of cruising altitudes did you choose for your trip and why?

This sounds like you had lots of fun!

2. If I intend to do this on any kind of a regular basis, an instrument rating would be nice to have...as would onboard weather.

Doug and I were already thinking about a club-wide stratus ADSB receiver. It sounds like we have one more vote.

That was the beginning of a great relationship with ATC. As many people I have heard complain about them, I can never manage to commiserate.

Same here. I've been flying about 30 years. They have always been helpful and professional communicating with me. When our communication terminates I always thank them for the help. I imagine a lot of it has to do with the way you interact with them.

Brian,
It sounds like you had a great trip. I like to limit legs to three hours too. Yes it does cost a bit more than flying Delta, but think of all the places you went that Delta does not go. Plus you don't have to deal with going through airport security. If it is less than 500 miles I will probably fly my own plane, over 500 I usually go commercial especially if my wife is with me.

Last edited:
Same here. I've been flying about 30 years. They have always been helpful and professional communicating with me. When our communication terminates I always thank them for the help. I imagine a lot of it has to do with the way you interact with them.

Every hand off ends with a "thanks and good day". I actually had someone I was flying with in the right seat doing PNF radio who complained about that...:dunno:

Every hand off ends with a "thanks and good day". I actually had someone I was flying with in the right seat doing PNF radio who complained about that...:dunno:
I just see it as being courteous and it does not take up any appreciable air time.

I just see it as being courteous and it does not take up any appreciable air time.

Same here, I have never heard a complaint out of ATC and I often get a pleasantry in response. This guy was a Ham though and they all have mental issues with this stuff...:rofl:

Same here, I have never heard a complaint out of ATC and I often get a pleasantry in response. This guy was a Ham though and they all have mental issues with this stuff...:rofl:
I get a lot of complaints about "unnecessary communication". I actually chased an old guy out of my comm shack last year because he tried to tell me that folks needed more training so they would stop saying "please" and "thank you" on the radio.

THIS IS NOT ANYONE'S PRIORITY.

/cold sweat

A simple "Thank you" on the air in these situations is part of what makes us all a big, happy, friendly community.

I can't figure it out myself, "why not be pleasant?" It doesn't take a complete second to say either please, thanks, or good day, it's not like it blocks the frequency inordinately. OTOH if it's super busy and controllers are machine gunning clearance amendments and instructions left and right, I keep my time on the PTT as brief as possible. 99% of the time though, that's just not the case.

2am once KC center was telling jokes to me and a SWA red eye, he had us laughing across the state, being solo I appreciated the hell out of it.

Last edited:
My shorter typical cross countries are several thousand miles. The longer ones are a lot farther. Frankly, VFR flying anywhere is a lot more enjoyable.

I once had a real jerk for a check airman in the simulator. I was doing a takeoff, and as I moved the thrust levers, I called "Set max thrust, please" which was the call to the Flight engineer to set the takeoff thrust.

The simulator check airman immediately froze the sim, and demanded "what did you just say?"

"Set max thrust." I replied.

"No, that other word. What did you say?"

"Set max thrust, please." I replied.

"I don't remember seeing "please" as part of our standard phraseology. Who authorized you to use that word?" The check airman demanded.

"My mother did, I believe." I replied. "It's also standard courtesy most places in the civilized English speaking world. It's also standard at typical training facilities like Flight Safety International, and Simuflite."

"We don't do that here, because you might have taken valuable listening time away, or covered someone's crucial transmission with extra language like that. Are you familiar with the concept of 'cooperate and graduate?'" he demanded.

"Nope." I replied.

I'm still not. Common courtesy is never wrong, and telling another crew member "please" or "thanks," or telling the controller "g'day" isn't out of line. I still tell French controllers "bonjour," and arab controllers "Salam alaikum," and still say "g'day." It's courtesy. The Pakistanis always appreciate a greeting in arabic; we seem to get better handling, I think. I often sign on in the US or Canada with "good morning" or "good evening" or just "g'day," and usually get the same response in return.

The only time it's not welcome is on a really busy frequency, and even then it's not uncommon to hear the controller say "good night."

Those who think otherwise worry too much.

I regularly add "Thanks for the help" if I got any, on checkouts.

And I'm a Ham. So Pbbbbt. ;)

You just have to know when to drop the unnecessary stuff when the frequency is busy.

DANDD intersection near DEN is named after a retired controller who said, "Dandy Day!" at every handoff.

There was also "Good Morning, Good Night" at the TRACON who started his first transmission to every aircraft with the former, and ended with the latter, no matter what time of day it was.

This sounds like you had lots of fun!

Doug and I were already thinking about a club-wide stratus ADSB receiver. It sounds like we have one more vote.

Excellent idea. I would be in favor. I was thinking about buying one, but can't really justify it given the infrequency of my long distance trips. A guy on the red board was proposing to rent them, but I like the idea of a club-owned Stratus better.

What kinds of cruising altitudes did you choose for your trip and why?

8500 westbound for more favorable winds than down lower, cleared the Cleveland class B, and it kept me above most, though not all, of the scattered cirrus (clouds, not airplanes).

On the way back, 7500, for no good reason other than it made me more comfortable than 5500.

Interestingly, at both altitudes I was within the haze layer, and it appeared to extend quite a ways above me.

DANDD intersection near DEN is named after a retired controller who said, "Dandy Day!" at every handoff.

There was a guy in Denver years ago who handed everyone off with "happy trails."

I regularly add "Thanks for the help" if I got any, on checkouts.

And I'm a Ham. So Pbbbbt. ;)

You just have to know when to drop the unnecessary stuff when the frequency is busy.

There was also "Good Morning, Good Night" at the TRACON who started his first transmission to every aircraft with the former, and ended with the latter, no matter what time of day it was.

Now that's cool! I love all the little 'inside baseball' stories out there like this one. Ive flown over DANDD a million times and never knew.

BTW, chalk me up as one of the supporters of a quick 'G'Day' and please and thank you unless the frequency is totally hammered, and even then I really quick 'nice job' or 'take care' before leaving can be fine.

Last edited:
8500 westbound for more favorable winds than down lower, cleared the Cleveland class B, and it kept me above most, though not all, of the scattered cirrus (clouds, not airplanes).

Above cirrus clouds at 8000'?:confused:

I like that.

And rant notwithstanding, I really enjoyed this writeup. I feel bad for not having said that when I had my hairflip.

Great trip! Next time try 10,500 and 9,500 for cruise. You can see forever...

Brian, sounds like a fantastic trip and a great learning experience. Thanks for the great write up!

I can totally relate to number 12 but I won't name any names.

Recently, I complained about it to a pilot friend of mine. He reminded me I am not getting tired of pilots - I'm getting tired of flakey people who just happen to also be pilots.

Pilots are people too.

Anyhow, that is too cool you flew over 1,000 miles. The furthest I've gone is between 400 - 500.

Back