random question on where to live

Fatpat3

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FP3
So, the wife, dog and i want to move. But not sure where. Im hoping to have my cfi/cfii by the end of feb. We are looking at arizona(northern, prescott ish), texas(san antonio/hill country) but have now also started including Idaho(grangeville, coeur d'alene), wyoming(sheridan?), montana(not sure where). Going to go check out the north hopefully in february or march. Im more interested in back country type flying or cargo. 0 intrest in airline. So who has the better areas to live?

I realize this is a VERY generic question. not quite sure what kind of answers i will get. But i know i like the south, but not a huge fan of heat. We currently live in southern california and without getting into a huge debate i hate this state and the way things are done here and we have nothing that is keeping us from moving anywhere we want.

Thanks for any insight that you guys can provide!

Back country and cargo?? Alaska!! Living out in the bush isn't the best, but most places have you on a rotation (14/14, 20/10, etc.). Anchorage is like a normal town with all the standard amenities.

That question will get as many different answers as there are pilots on this board. Everyone is going to have different reasons on why x is the best place to live - many of which you will probably not agree with.

How do you want to make your living? instructing, or other flying? If you want to make you living instructing, then I would say follow the money (i.e. people with money) and weather. That trail would leave me south.

If adventurous flying is your goal, then look north.

You don't say what the dog is looking for. Or the wife.

if you're "not a big fan of heat" then you can probably rule out AZ, although I've been to scottsdale twice and almost instantly fell in love with the place.

We have our annual CT fly-in in Page, AZ. That area cannot be beat for awesome flying. It is rugged and hot though.

Idaho is beautiful, but cold except in the very south of the state. I'd live in ID for sure.

Texas is super cheap and you can get a lot for your money.
The weather will make you want to slit your throat sometimes.

Back country and cargo?? Alaska!! Living out in the bush isn't the best, but most places have you on a rotation (14/14, 20/10, etc.). Anchorage is like a normal town with all the standard amenities.

That has been a thought. wife wants to be a little closer to family though for the kids when we have them.

That question will get as many different answers as there are pilots on this board. Everyone is going to have different reasons on why x is the best place to live - many of which you will probably not agree with.

That is what i was planning on, I would just like to know others opinions is all. and it may even give me some insight to how the people in certain areas are.

How do you want to make your living? instructing, or other flying? If you want to make you living instructing, then I would say follow the money (i.e. people with money) and weather. That trail would leave me south.

If adventurous flying is your goal, then look north.

You don't say what the dog is looking for. Or the wife.

Not 100% set on what i want to do. Maybe a mix of all the above. Im not opposed to starting another business either if i see it could work.

I have spoken to the dog. He would like to be somewhere he can play, sleep, ride in the plane, car rides, eat, ride in more planes and specifically would rather not be where he has to worry about becoming part of dinner. He frowned upon that.

the wife, as long as she can work in the medical or social work field she will be fine. She's open to where ever also. Which is why this is hard to figure out. hahaha

if you're "not a big fan of heat" then you can probably rule out AZ, although I've been to scottsdale twice and almost instantly fell in love with the place.

Scottsdale is nice, but the heat kills it there. Thats why for az we are looking northern. Or at least Prescott, as the heat there is a little more manageable.

We have our annual CT fly-in in Page, AZ. That area cannot be beat for awesome flying. It is rugged and hot though.

Idaho is beautiful, but cold except in the very south of the state. I'd live in ID for sure.

Cold doesn't really seem to bother me. Im originally from northern california in the mountains where it is a little colder. We've only been in southern ca for 6 years.

1. I think he wanted to bring his wife with him.

2. I think he wanted to keep the dog until it died a natural death.

Correct on bringing the wife. and Most definitely would like the dog to stay alive. hahaha

No matter where you go, there you are.
This is a true story. Which is why we would like to move. we want to be "there"

If I didn't live in northern California, I'd probably either live in the San Diego area, or completely out of the country. Probably Malaysia or Indonesia. No other U.S. state appeals to me.

Often with touchy decisions like that where all options are good, you just need to start knocking on doors for the opportunity/job and the rest won't matter much.

If I were moving I'd look carefully at true cost of living in the different places. Many people moving to Denver seeing lots of growth and job openings aren't paying attention to housing prices here, which are topping the charts when compared to local salaries. It's a ratio and people forget that.

A few places on your list have high housing and living prices and lowish salary expectations. That means less coin in your pocket for more work. A bad combination.

Texas is super cheap and you can get a lot for your money.
The weather will make you want to slit your throat sometimes.

So will the traffic, their "Don't Mess with Texas/Everything's bigger/better in TX" attitude, and their propensity for concreting every last piece of open land around D/FW and Houston. :yesnod:

Anywhere in the belt-line of the US usually works for me. I like 4-seasons, so UT/CO/OK/AR/MO/TN would all work for me. I don't care much for desert scenery (I appreciate the beauty, just don't care to see it every day) so west TX/NM/AZ/NV/SoCal doesn't do much for me.

As far as what "people are like" in different areas, I've found through my travels (relatively young compared to most here) that you'll find great people and absolutely intolerable people no matter what city/state you are in.

If I didn't live in northern California, I'd probably either live in the San Diego area, or completely out of the country. Probably Malaysia or Indonesia. No other U.S. state appeals to me.

Even with the knuckle head factor in CA?

Frankly I'd rather just save money and live in Mexico, same chit

There is that. Sometimes I'd like to break in to the apartment above Mikuni's on 15th and J in Sacramento, and throw Jerry Brown out the window.

Copy that. I will agree to disagree on the other states in the U.S. But will also agree other countries are pretty awesome.

Often with touchy decisions like that where all options are good, you just need to start knocking on doors for the opportunity/job and the rest won't matter much.

If I were moving I'd look carefully at true cost of living in the different places. Many people moving to Denver seeing lots of growth and job openings aren't paying attention to housing prices here, which are topping the charts when compared to local salaries. It's a ratio and people forget that.

A few places on your list have high housing and living prices and lowish salary expectations. That means less coin in your pocket for more work. A bad combination.

All very true! Thats one thing we are looking at. It seems montana can qualify for high cost, low income. Not sure on wyoming or idaho yet. Still researching. any input is appreciated!

So will the traffic, their "Don't Mess with Texas/Everything's bigger/better in TX" attitude, and their propensity for concreting every last piece of open land around D/FW and Houston. :yesnod:

The attitude doesnt seem to bother me. As for traffic, i live in southern california. So im going to say ours is worse from what ive experienced. and the people we've met there have all been really friendly. But we have only spent about a month there, so not really that much time in the big picture.

Anywhere in the belt-line of the US usually works for me. I like 4-seasons, so UT/CO/OK/AR/MO/TN would all work for me. I don't care much for desert scenery (I appreciate the beauty, just don't care to see it every day) so west TX/NM/AZ/NV/SoCal doesn't do much for me.

As far as what "people are like" in different areas, I've found through my travels (relatively young compared to most here) that you'll find great people and absolutely intolerable people no matter what city/state you are in.

Very, very true. There is good and bad everywhere for sure. 4 seasons would be cool, and i do like mountain type areas better than desert also. we are also fairly young (still in the 20's)

We cannot stand most people in this state. We are apparently the odds ones out for the most part in this state. haha. As for mexico, i actually really like the baja peninsula. We spend A LOT of time there.

There is that. Sometimes I'd like to break in to the apartment above Mikuni's on 15th and J in Sacramento, and throw Jerry Brown out the window.

Please??? Ill even buy dinner that night. let me know when. haha. we dont have mikuni's down here. Miss that place!

If you're looking at Idaho, you might consider Boise. It's a mid-sized place but it's very far from any big city. When I lived there (a long time ago) it was inexpensive, and there was back country flying and recreation nearby.

Hill Country in Texas is nice but expensive. San Antonio, meh. Dallas metroplex is great if you like concrete

If you're looking at Idaho, you might consider Boise. It's a mid-sized place but it's very far from any big city. When I lived there (a long time ago) it was inexpensive, and there was back country flying and recreation nearby.

SLC is probably another possibility in that region, too, as long as he isn't too upset my Mormons. :D

Thank you, that was on the list to look at also.

Hill Country in Texas is nice but expensive. San Antonio, meh. Dallas metroplex is great if you like concrete

I noticed that hill country was a little more. But much less than the california prices im used to. can you elaborate on the meh about san antonio? Mainly out skirts. We have no interest living in a big city.

SLC is probably another possibility in that region, too, as long as he isn't too upset my Mormons. :D

Not upset by them at all. although im not mormon. haha. Hadn't thought about Utah much though.

We loved San Antonio the four years we lived there. I did live on the very north edge. We were two minutes from the country...at that time. All built up now. The Hill Country is great. There are so me great smaller airports around SA. Traffic there now is a pain, but nothing compared to Southern California.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

It provides a lot of lift in the summer :D

So you come down slower under the chute? ;)

WY has no state income tax and low property taxes and some screaming deals at University of WY for both residents and former residents if you have goslings to shove through the college paper mill someday. Or so a former Wyomingite tells me. He saved a small fortune sending one of the kids there that liked the vibe in Laramie.

Idaho I agree with Mari, can't beat there anywhere but Alaska for real backcountry flying.

Both are too f'in cold in winter. Ha.

Montana? Worse.

Texas has low income tax but... Very high property taxes make up for it. It's one of those looks good on paper things but you have to be careful where you buy.

Colorado has the aforementioned housing problem in and all around Denver Metro but if one can find a job where one lives way outside of the metroplex in the rest of the state where it's still "real" Colorado, it's nice. I can just barely stand living near Denver anymore and I'm a solid hour commute to get out of the city and out to real CO where I have four acres and a dirt driveway. But the city is encroaching this way slowly. I doubt you'd be finding any backcountry flying jobs here either. We tend toward really nice paved airports in the mountains but they're just at really high DA with big rocks all around. It's not what you'd really call "backcountry". Utah and NM actually have more unimproved strips by far than CO.

Phoenix is freaking hot. But tons of friends live there and it's simply a matter of everything has to have A/C working always and you go outside after dark in summer. Very nice for night owls like me. Dinner is often on a patio at 10PM or even later in summer. Nobody flies airplanes mid day. Haha. I kinda like the place and if things were to go really sideways with Karen's mom now that her dad has passed away, there's a solid chance we might end up having to move there. Hard to say. Scottsdale and north of Phoenix is really nice but I hear housing is high. Haven't looked into it. We'd be stuck needing to be closer to PHX if we had to go there. I also like Tucson but I think it would be an acquired taste for some. Went there a bunch on business.

I doubt any of the above is even slightly helpful. Ha. Maybe ideas to look at. Tax rates, property and income. Other perks like the school thing in WY, etc.

Austin is a nice place to live...it is getting expensive though. Also, they are concreting every spot they can find in Austin too...and for the fun of it making them all toll roads. Then leaving the two lane bridges across the river that runs in the middle of town so the biggest traffic bottle necks remain in place. :mad2:

On another note how many F'n strip malls does a place need :dunno:

Austin is a nice place to live...it is getting expensive though. Also, they are concreting every spot they can find in Austin too...and for the fun of it making them all toll roads. Then leaving the two lane bridges across the river that runs in the middle of town so the biggest traffic bottle necks remain in place. :mad2:

On another note how many F'n strip malls does a place need :dunno:

I actually liked Austin. College town, with a strip of bars with a music scene, much like Sacramento in my own State. I used to go down there on free weekends when I was stationed at Ft. Hood.

This is a great piece of advice...if you're flexible enough to move and can get a job everything else will work out. And he doesn't have kids yet so if something didn't work out not a lot of upheaval if he pulls up stakes and moves again.

So low that it is zero. We dont have a state income tax.

I wasn't sure. But I know Texans that pay more in property taxes on the same size and value of real estate than I pay in property taxes and state income taxes combined, depending on where in Texas they live.

Most WY residents pay less than both TX and CO, net.

And the Net number is the important one.

Back