Random Fun: What famous people have you met?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
This was a few months back. My wife and I got to meet these guys:

mb.jpg

So Share. What famous people have you met?
What were the circumstances?

ada6umeg.jpg

Dagget airport Barstow ca for Vouge magazine photoshoot. Annie liebowitz was the photographer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I jammed with CF Turner in a music store I worked in when I was 19 for 5 minutes....thrill of my musical life.

Just hanging out in California with Obama.

Attachments

• 20131026_155104.jpg
    20131026_155104.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 184
The most famous person I ever met was my Dad. He flew a P-47 in WWII, shot down 2 Japanese planes, flew C-47's afterward, and was an amazing father.

He was a very humble man who never talked about his war days until late in his life when I took him to a CAF airshow with one of his squadron buddies and got them both in an Officers Club (okay, a bar) and they finally spilled their guts. Wow...you couldn't make up the stuff they experienced...

I've been fortunate enough to meet a few well known people, not sure if they all qualify as famous, but here's a few:
I had dinner with Phil Mickelson and Peyton Manning, on different occasions, Phil and I talked about flying:D Met Coach K and General Swarzkopf and heard them both speak at Ford events. Met Alan Mulally, CEO of Ford, on a couple occasions, he's a pilot and a very nice guy.
I had breakfast with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and Peter King at Arthur Blank's ranch in Montana in 2012, also met Paul Tagliabue there in 2007(?), most boring speaker I've ever heard! :mad2:
Played golf with Greg Maddux and Jeff Foxworthy at Tom Glavine's charity tournament. Met Jay Leno in an elevator, I'm sure he was excited to finally meet me. :D
Lots of Atlanta Falcons players and coaches, Coach Mike Smith tried to teach my wife to fly fish.:rolleyes:

I got to meet Steven Fromholz in a Crockett Texas Holiday Inn Express. Real gentleman and will be missed (he sadly just passed away this week).

Also got to shake hands with the President of Nigeria back in 2006.

I don't have pictures but I've met (in no particular order):

Bob Hoover
Sullenburger
Barron Hilton
Carol Shelby
Clay Lacy
Clay Anderson (Shuttle Astronaut and ISS crew)
Burt Rutan
Sean Tucker
Michael Bay
TK Mattingly (who says Gary Sinease can't begin to express the disappointment he had missing Apollo 13)
Adrain Cronauer (who says the only thing in common with him and the character in GMV was that he was in Viet Nam)
Scott Crossfield
Gene Kranz
Cliff Robertson
Norm Abrams
Jim Voss (Shuttle Astronaut)
Jack Daley (former commandant of the marines and NASM director)
Joe Anderson (Marine General ret, and the longest/oldest flying Harrier pilot)

I've had dinner with Patty Wagstaff and Judy Scholl
I've had John and Martha King and Gerrie Mock at my house
Kevin Kochersberger (Wright Flyer reenactment pilot) has been over a bunch.
Ken Hyde (Wright Flyer reenactor) been to his place and had barbecue at his motor home at Oshkosh
At the age of 14 or so I visited Charlie Wilson in his office and got to walk with him in the members only elevators, etc... while he was headed for a vote.
I also got to stand on the floor of the House of Representatives (while they were not in session) with Leo Ryan not too long before he was killed.

My job gives me an unfair advantage in this game, but here goes...off the top of my head;

James Caan, Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Lopez, Michael J Fox, George Lucas, Elle McPherson, Cheech (not Chong), William Perry (aka 'The Fridge'), Currley (Harlem Globe Trotters), Donald Trump,

...if I think of more ill come back.

Me, virtually no one. My wife? She's met (and worked with) a ton. She's a stage manager and formerly worked in Los Angeles and New York.

Oh yeah, I met the kings. (Was at AOPA summit)

My Dad, John, Martha, Me, My wife

kings.jpg

I've met a bunch of politicians and a few entertainers. Most did not impress me in the least.

-Rich

I got to shake hands with Ronald Reagan and Spiro Agnew at the 1972 Republican National Convention.

I also got to meet Jeb Bush.

1982 - Dame Margot Fonteyn on a flight from Heathrow to JFK. She was sitting next to me and was working on the galleys of her autobiography [to be reprinted, original was 1976] and borrowed a ballpoint pen and asked how to spell certain words. I remember she was going to visit family in NJ.

1989 - Harold Geneen of ITT fame. After he retired from ITT, he could not sit still and was still chasing business opportunities. We spend a whole day in a conference room together during a due diligence session under the watchful eye of somebody from Goldman Sachs. At the time I met him, he was 79 and had been a private investor for 12 years.

Last edited:
I've met a bunch of politicians and a few entertainers. Most did not impress me in the least.

-Rich

Funny, other than the Pres of Nigeria, I wasn't even thinking about all of the Congress critters I have met (worked briefly for my Congressman in the District Office back in my college days).

I did get to meet Sonny Bono though - told him I loved his appearance on Scooby Doo.

A few. Gene Roddenberry and his wife were regular customers at the family gas station in Irvine back in the day, as was Harriet Nelson (who was hell on wheels in her convertible Mercedes@!). Reggie Jackson too, although I didn't recognize him at first. Dan Haggerty was a family friend. Virtually any of the big boys (and their wives/girlfriends) involved in NHRA in the 70's and 80' (we were next to OCIR)

Met Chuck Norris when he lived up above Tustin, remarkable humble man.

Have run into a few in the 12 years at LAX. Farrah Fawcet Majors, Arnold Schwartzenneger - Lou Ferrigno tapped me on the shoulder one morning in Terminal 4 and asked for a restaurant recommendation.

Linus Paulding
James Crick
James Watson
Mario Capecchi
Arthur Kornberg
Gobind Khorana
Gerald M. Edelman
George E. Palade
David Baltimore
Harold Varmus
Joe Goldstein
Sosumu Tonegawa
Phil Sharp
Ed Lewis
Eric Wieschaus
Gunter Blobel
Sydney Brenner
Paul Nurse
Oliver Smithies
Jim Rothman

I met Walter Payton when I was younger. He was a nice guy. He was ridiculously strong. I remember my hand hurt all day after shaking hands with him.

I was almost in an accident Bud Selig last year because he was talking on his cellphone driving and almost hit my g-ride because he was changing lanes without using a turn signal. He acknowledged my one-finger salute I gave him. I've met a few Presidents, Cabinet officials, Congressman, heads of state while in the Marine Corps. Watched the Tokyo premier of Pearl Harbor 4 seats from Ben Affleck, then talked to him (very breifly) in a club later that night. Drunkenly tried to buy Gwen Stafani a drink at the same club at another time, failed miserably. Said "Hi" to Luke and Owen Wilson on Martha's Vineyard, saw Tom Hanks from a distance. Met Bob Feller way back in the day before I realized or could appreciate how great a ballplayer he was.

Physicist Richard Feynman

Now that's pretty cool!

I've met most of the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo astronauts at one time or another and was personal friends with a couple of them. I had Gabby Gabreski as a house guest for a weekend back in the late 90s.

Oh yeah,

Dan Quale, Sally Fields, Dennis Quade, Harrison Ford, Lisa Kudrow...

WAIT. You got to meet Feynman.

Now I AM jealous.

As far as meeting celebrities - gag me with a spoon - the majority (not all) are neuritic narcissists whom if it were not for the ability to playact in front of a camera would be wiping tables at Mickey Dee for a living. Now sprinkled amongst that bunch of losers are a few real people who just happen to act for a living. Those I would not mind meeting.

what's kind of funny is how few of the many names dropped in this thread I actually recognize.

Well I wouldn't say they're all that famous but I've flown:

Chairman Joint Chiefs Gen Richard Myers and Adm Mike Mullens
Gen Patreaus
Gen McCrystal
Adm McCraven (Bin Laden raid)
Senators Chambliss & Hatch
Senator Graham (AF Col)
Lara Logan (60 minutes)
Billy Blanks
Geraldo Rivera
President Karzai

Did a PAR for AF 1 and got to meet President Clinton afterwards.

Last edited:
Funny, other than the Pres of Nigeria, I wasn't even thinking about all of the Congress critters I have met (worked briefly for my Congressman in the District Office back in my college days).

I did get to meet Sonny Bono though - told him I loved his appearance on Scooby Doo.

The Pres of Nigeria emails me every other week trying to get me to move money out of the country for him.

Either I need to become more culturally aware, or we need to change the threshold for 'famous' (probably the former). Many of these posts have me saying, "Who?"

what's kind of funny is how few of the many names dropped in this thread I actually recognize.
It's also funny when you get the passenger list, are about to fly them, and have no idea who they are other than what someone else has told you.

Back in college, I had a student job in the theatre department as a stage hand. Only well known person I met was Marcel Marceau.

But even when talking with him, he was sorta quiet and didn't speak much.

I've met several, but usually I'm not too impressed by celebrity. Some if my favorites, however have been the celebrities who go on USO tours to inhospitable areas. Here is one of my favs.
bu6unema.jpg

I hope this works, I'm doing this from my phone.

Friend of a friend is a starting NFL kicker. That's the good kind of famous I think. He gets recognized occasionally in public but not swarmed.

Two of my friends (they are brothers) were at a NASCAR race in Charlotte, they saw a guy sitting by himself in front of a big coach drinking a beer. Talked to him for a minute, he invited them to sit and drink a beer. So they sat down and BS'd and drank a few beers, then went on to the race. Later they figured out he was Matthew Mconaughey. They wondered why people kept coming up and taking pictures from the portable fence set up around the camper's spot.

Last edited:
Just a couple of locally famous folks, but I can't think of anybody that anyone else would have heard of.

I did go to high school with someone who has an Oscar and a couple of Grammies, though. She played quite a number of high school gigs, too - Melissa Etheridge. I don't think she made it to our last HS reunion, but she has been to a few...maybe next time. Whenever I hear her on the radio I tell my wife, "Hey, it's my old girlfriend!"

The Pres of Nigeria emails me every other week trying to get me to move money out of the country for him.

Those emails aren't from the real president. They're from his 'elves'....kind of like department store Santas.

Back