Ran into a couple of students today

cfiiguy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cfiiguy
Many of you don't know but I had a very serious cancer scare last year. Between the cancer and the treatments I lost 85lbs. , and was out of commission from march till december of last year, and most of this year. Obviously I have spent little time at the airport in that last couple years.
A good friend and former student has been kind enough to give me a couple rides in the last few weeks.
Anyway, I got their a little early for the ride today, and in the office was a couple former students. One a PPL and the other (whom I did his introductory flight and worked with him thru his MEI ) just shooting the breeze. The PP commented that even though it was 20 years ago, he has never forgotten the lesson we did in extremely windy conditions, and what he learned that day. He said every time it is windy he can still hear my voice telling him to fly the airplane all the way to the hanger. Flight control inputs are as necessary in taxi as they are in flight.
The MEI piped up and added that he uses so many of my old quotes he now has a hard telling his from mine.
They both thanked me for what I had done for them in terms of being better pilots.
I think they were just being nice to this old fart for surviving, but either way it really made my day!!

.... He said every time it is windy he can still hear my voice telling him to fly the airplane all the way to the hanger.
The MEI piped up and added that he uses so many of my old quotes he now has a hard telling his from mine.
They both thanked me for what I had done for them in terms of being better pilots.
I think they were just being nice to this old fart for surviving, but either way it really made my day!!

It's true CFIIGUY... my PPL was 10 years ago. I had smoke in the cockpit at night a few years ago. I could hear my CFI's voice the entire time, had all electrical shutdown immediately and "continue flying the plane", remain over the highway until the airport is made (5 miles). My alternator disintegrated and my battery went with it 5 seconds later. I guess from practice, everything seemed to occur in slow motion ... I believe the response was about one second after seeing the ALT warning light and I was confirming engine health about a nano-second after that.

I called him the next day to let him know he had been on my flight the night before ... he laughed and said he was glad everything went well. You guys have more impact than what you give yourselves credit for ...

Many of you don't know but I had a very serious cancer scare last year. Between the cancer and the treatments I lost 85lbs. , and was out of commission from march till december of last year, and most of this year. Obviously I have spent little time at the airport in that last couple years.
A good friend and former student has been kind enough to give me a couple rides in the last few weeks.
Anyway, I got their a little early for the ride today, and in the office was a couple former students. One a PPL and the other (whom I did his introductory flight and worked with him thru his MEI ) just shooting the breeze. The PP commented that even though it was 20 years ago, he has never forgotten the lesson we did in extremely windy conditions, and what he learned that day. He said every time it is windy he can still hear my voice telling him to fly the airplane all the way to the hanger. Flight control inputs are as necessary in taxi as they are in flight.
That's fantastic news! So glad to hear you're recovering. Hope you can return to the cockpit very soon, best of wishes!

I just saw this thread @cfiiguy but I'm glad you're on the mend, and even more glad you ran into some former students who reminded you of the impact you had on their lives.

Back