Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
For our CFIs and college students ;)

Tomato Ramen Soup

1 package ramen noodles, any flavor

2 cups water

1 can tomato soup concentrate

Cook the noodles according to package directions. Do not drain. Add tomato soup concentrate. Simmer 5 minutes.

Ramen Pizza

1 pizza pan

Aluminum foil

2 packages beef flavor Top Ramen

3 cups water

Salt

1/2 pounds ground beef

1/2 cup onion, chopped

1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced

1 egg

1/2 cup milk

3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese

1 jar spaghetti sauce (15-1/2 ounces)

8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated

Cover pizza pan with aluminum foil. Build up foil edges to form a rim about 1/2-inch high around the pan. Lightly grease aluminum surface. Cook both packages of Top Ramen noodles in water with a pinch of salt. Set aside flavor packets. Drain noodles and set aside.

Brown beef, onions and mushrooms together. Drain excess fat. Stir both flavor packets into meat mixture. Set aside. Beat together egg, milk and Parmesan cheese. Stir this mixture into the noodles. Evenly spread noodle-egg mixture onto pizza pan. Pour spaghetti sauce over noodles. Sprinkle meat mixture over sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until pizza is bubbly and brown. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.

Ramen Dessert Cakes

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 package crushed ramen noodles

3 dessert cakes (such as those used for strawberry shortcakes)

1 cup cherries

1 cup chocolate dessert fondue (chocolate pudding works, too)

Heat vegetable oil in a pan. Break noodles while they’re still in the package, then remove from package and place them in the heated oil. Gently shake the pan to avoid burning the noodles. Heat until noodles are brown. Remove from heat and place noodles in a bowl. Put three dessert cakes on a plate. Add cherries, chocolate fondue and noodles.
http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2008/11/05/lifestyle/food_and_drink/doc4910b2c750ba9561470995.txt

Getting ready for tough times ahead are we?

:D

i decided a long time ago id rather have credit card debt than eat ramen all the time

i decided a long time ago id rather have credit card debt than eat ramen all the time

LOL. Funny, Tony. Of course, once all those cards are filled up, or a job loss hits, one's back to eating Ramen. Ramen with debt tastes worse than Ramen with NO debt. :cheerswine:

What? I can't afford tomato soup concentrate!

That pizza recipe is something I'll have to try for my kids--they like Ramen. :)

But it also got me thinking that if you left off all that "extra" stuff (tomato sauce, eggs, etc.) you'd have the makings of a good stroganoff. Noodles, hamburger, onions, mushrooms:

http://www.mattfischer.com/ramen/?p=424

EDIT: Matt Fischer's site is great. How about this Ramen Bailout Plan?

Last edited:
My sister-in-law has a concoction she makes with Ramen noodles and rice pilaf. Never cared much for it at first, but it seems to be getting tastier lately.

-Rich

Way too much sodium.

I make ramen like usual, then drain the broth (keep it, yummy) and stir fry the noodles with other ingredients. Sesame oil is my favorite medium for that. Add some peanut sauce, mmm...

This is what I do whenever I need to buy avgas or fix something in my plane.

I just add mixed vegetables with the noodles and cook it per the directions.

I don't remember where, but one time I saw a recipe for Ramen and Steak that went something like this:

1.) Grill steak.
2.) Season to liking.
3.) Pair with appropriate beverage
4.) Throw out nasty Ramen and enjoy steak.

I don't remember where, but one time I saw a recipe for Ramen and Steak that went something like this:

1.) Grill steak.
2.) Season to liking.
3.) Pair with appropriate beverage
4.) Throw out nasty Ramen and enjoy steak.

That's a Ernie Kovacs bit as a Hungarian chef making a chicken dish. "Leechee brandy..." "Throw out chicken. Drink brandy."

Don't add the flavor packet. Or use a lot less of the packet.
I only use about half the packet. I also many times add veggies, an egg or frozen shrimp. I eat ramen quite frequently, and not for financial reasons, it's more because of laziness.

As a man who has eaten nothing but ramen for about a month (had real food at a party last night tho...was delicious), I can say this:

Adding anything to ramen brings the price point above the level that makes Ramen a useful food.

So the secret is to get as much Ramen as possible, in as many flavors as possible. I have 5 dollars to my name, and I need to go do grocery shopping.

5 dollars means I get to eat for another month at least.

One of my favorite meals is simply one of those cup-o-noodles beef flavor. I sprinkle Parmesan cheese on each spoonful, it's great, I love it. Has just the right amount of sodium to keep me nice and salty, AND......it only costs about fifty cents.

I am even able to handle the complexities of preparation, three mins. in the zapper, it's done.

John

I hope I inherited my old Italian grandmother's genes. She lived to 84, and couldn't spell cholesterol -- in Italian or English. She ate what she wanted, drank what she wanted, and outlived most of her doctors.

My little brother, on the other hand, was admitted to the hospital today with heart problems at the ripe old age of 42. He's very health conscious: Doesn't smoke, drinks in moderation, eats right, works out, etc. They're doing some procedure this Friday to stop and re-start his heart (it was explained to me as "rebooting" it, in consideration of my trade); and if that doesn't work, they'll have to put in a pacemaker.

I can't help but wonder if we worry ourselves into early graves in this country. Maybe my grandmother had the right idea.

So pass the Ramen, and be happy.

-Rich

Back